Nice aire near the tunnel? (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
We are heading towards the tunnel on Sunday and would like a nice Aire for one night. Not a car park but somewhere with either a nice view or grass around. Do you know what I mean?
Apparently there are a couple at Graveline. Can anyone tell me about those please?
We don’t mind travelling about 30-45 minutes to the tunnel.
Thanks x

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
Don’t go to Gravelines if you’ve got bikes on the back.
Not unless you have a bat of some description to wrap around the scumbags heads!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Which way are you coming? How close to the tunnel do you want to be?
From East, despite Rob's post (he had a problem unfortunately, when we were there) we like Gravelines Rue de Port, overlooks the marina and town a few minutes walk.
From south I'd recommend Wissant but at this time of year it'll probably be full by early afternoon. However the aire just north of Boulogne has excellent views and is reasonably close to the town to walk in.
We did find another quite close to Wissant, near Tardinghen "Ferme de l'Horlage" N50°51.771' E001°38.955' Very pleasant, grass - an adjacent area is used as a launching point for microlight aircraft at weekends. Campercontact 8944.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Depends which direction you’re going.

There are loads within half an hour of Calais so you might as well head the right way.

OP
OP
The Cruisers
Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
We are coming from Saarburg so that’s from the east.
Actually I think we’ve been to Tardinghen. If I remember correctly
there was electric behind a big barn? Nice and quiet.
I look into the one north of boulogne.
Thanks.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I quite like Watten.

It’s a small one next to a canal.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
another for gravelines , you can choose between parking on hard standing looking at boats or across the road on grass, short walk into town with all you need.(y)
IMG_0025.JPG

Attachments

• 20170910_123633.jpg
    20170910_123633.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 7

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We stopped one night at Grande Fort Philipe, no grass just car park type but a walk thru grassland to the port and a free foot ferry to Petit Fort Philipe on other side of inlet, lots of boat activity, a beach & restaurants!
There is a campsite opp Aire that is quite reasonably priced, think it was about 11€.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
also used Gravelines many times.. lovely location with a nice town to stroll around with a few good eateries.. also it's a nice cycle down river on either side to the beach.. also close to Lidl for restocking

I read your bike report @Rob Turner . sorry to hear about it, I had a bike stolen on an aire at Capbreton .. cut through security cable and away and never heard a thing..

no aire is 100% safe, nor indeed is any site, just take usual precautions, nothing left outside and if bikes are on a rack they need to be both locked and alarmed..

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
at gravelines if you have bikes on the back and worried about them just back up to the harbour side then no one can get at them(y)

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Which way are you coming? How close to the tunnel do you want to be?
From East, despite Rob's post (he had a problem unfortunately, when we were there) we like Gravelines Rue de Port, overlooks the marina and town a few minutes walk.
From south I'd recommend Wissant but at this time of year it'll probably be full by early afternoon. However the aire just north of Boulogne has excellent views and is reasonably close to the town to walk in.
We did find another quite close to Wissant, near Tardinghen "Ferme de l'Horlage" N50°51.771' E001°38.955' Very pleasant, grass - an adjacent area is used as a launching point for microlight aircraft at weekends. Campercontact 8944.
WE used Tardinghen last year, very nice views over the channel and nice grass pitches, only bad thing was the WC emptying point, totally disgusting, worst one we have used, just a big tank you put it in, you can guess what it smelt like!!! But apart from that would recommend.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Another vote for Watten, now doubled in size, so will take about 10-12 vans - mainly british! 30 minutes from the tunnel, nice and quiet, with a nice walk along the canal.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
I know don’t want a car park , but try the Citi of Europe shopping centre. We were there three days ago and there were at least 30 + vans parked up. Very safe and have yet to see any scumbags around .

Colyboy

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
We too use Citi Europe.

Will be there on Monday night for early train on Tuesday morning.

We have kids and bikes on the back and always feel safe.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
We too use Citi Europe.

Will be there on Monday night for early train on Tuesday morning.

We have kids and bikes on the back and always feel safe.
At last, a sensible way to deal with noisy kids in a small van........................strap 'em on the bike rack. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Richard.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Am i right in thinking there is an Aire at the Port in Boulogne. Or is it just day time parking.

Thanks

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
We just left Cite Europe this morning haveing been there last Monday night also. As before 30 motorhomes or so last night and a few "ilI' park where I want to ers "
It's easy safe and there is fuel and shops.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Am i right in thinking there is an Aire at the Port in Boulogne. Or is it just day time parking.

Thanks

Don't know about Boulogne but there are 2 aires at Berck just a bit further on, the 2nd one on the western side is worth a visit, it's close to the beach, there are basking seals on the sand banks in the bay. There must be 100 plus spaces but it'll be busy at the weekends.

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
If you want some idea of what is available then may I suggest you have a look at the web site https://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/cci.php?pays=FRANCE Even without a knowledge of French it is possible to get the gist of what is available. Click on the 62 near the top of the map for the Calais area. Clicking on 59 is for the area down the Belgium border. You can "untick" any of the sites you don't want to look at, in my case, the red motorhome (for motorway facilities) and the three symbols which show a tent. Some of the aires may be "car park" type facilities, but you can see what is available by looking at the photos for each place.

I hope this helps.

J

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Don't know about Boulogne but there are 2 aires at Berck just a bit further on, the 2nd one on the western side is worth a visit, it's close to the beach, there are basking seals on the sand banks in the bay. There must be 100 plus spaces but it'll be busy at the weekends.

Would like to be in Boulogne as will be dropping of our son at the railway station in September.
I seem to recall seeing motorhomes park at the harbour.
May just have to drive in to drop him ff.

Andy

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Another sad report about theft at Gravelines Aire.
Last night we were woken by a noise about 4:30 am, I opened the door to hear footsteps scampering away- didn’t see anybody. When I went to the back of the van the bike cover had been partly peeled away and the straps securing the wheels undone. It’s a high level wind up rack locked in position with 4 locks on the bikes so they still had a lot of work to do but it still leaves a very nasty taste. I sat up the rest of the night with a light on and looking out from time to time.

The awful thing is that we’re here with friends in their new Motorhome, first time into Europe with it. We’ve told them how we usually use aires and how safe they are. We have often stayed st Graveline as it’s so convenient.

I fancy our next van will have a garage!

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
Another vote for Les Erables in Escalles much better than spending your last night in a car park, beautiful walks beach nice restaurants..

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We tried getting into that one last week. It looks like a car park in Bournemouth at the moment ! Full of old vans that have obviously been there for the summer and no intention of moving. Wouldnt have dreamed of even asking the mrs if it was a good place to park. Might be all right off season

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Bergues is a good stopover, no facilities but plenty of vans around the walled town which is worthy of a walk round the ramparts. For a very quiet site try Hondschoote next to the windmill with full facilities. Both about half hour away and on the way for you.
Hondschoote is on tarmac and Bergues is hard ground

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!