NFU want engineers report for added solar (1 Viewer)

Aug 8, 2019
Chichester
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2019
Ringing round for quotes for renewal motorhome insurance and I thought I would get a quote from NFU as a lot of people on here use them. All went well until they referred the installation of a replacement solar panel (30w to 100w) to the underwriters. They came back and said I needed to get an engineers report to the installation of the new panel, which is when I said thanks but no thanks. The only way to test the quality of the installation to my mind would be to try and prise the solar panel off the roof which would be self defeating.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Can understand why with the amount of dummies around bodging things now☹️☹️
Wouldn’t fancy seeing one heading towards me.
There was a thread about this before and one member picked up a new van and by the time he got home a solar panel had gone from the roof😳😳

OP
OP
Brianmor
Aug 8, 2019
Chichester
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2019
So have you got a price for a report from a local engineer?
Ps.. my NFU rep has never asked about solar and we have an RV.
The basic price from NFU was more than quoted from CAMC so I didn't bother.

I got AIB to quote, who used Highway the same as CAMC but their price was cheaper still

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Ringing round for quotes for renewal motorhome insurance and I thought I would get a quote from NFU as a lot of people on here use them. All went well until they referred the installation of a replacement solar panel (30w to 100w) to the underwriters. They came back and said I needed to get an engineers report to the installation of the new panel, which is when I said thanks but no thanks. The only way to test the quality of the installation to my mind would be to try and prise the solar panel off the roof which would be self defeating.
Just thinking about this it suggests that anyone insuring a motorhome they bought with solar already fitted (and most likely refillable gas, BBQ points, awnings etc) is going to need an engineers report on everything to get insurance! Bonkers

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Just renewed my insurance with Senic and they did not want to know about any modifications to the camper side of the van only to the base vehicle. I mentioned the rear air suspension and the cost went up by £12, I had a similar conversation with the Caravan Club and the young lady on the end of the phone did not have a clue what I was talking about so referred it to the underwriters. She came back with an increase of £150. In both cases the underwriters were the same ones .

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Just thinking about this it suggests that anyone insuring a motorhome they bought with solar already fitted (and most likely refillable gas, BBQ points, awnings etc) is going to need an engineers report on everything to get insurance! Bonkers

Makes sense to me that they ask, a bodged solar install is certainly a fire risk. Or more likely they've been reading MHFun about solar panels disappearing of roofs while being driven on motorways.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Makes sense to me that they ask, a bodged solar install is certainly a fire risk. Or more likely they've been reading MHFun about solar panels disappearing of roofs while being driven on motorways.
So would be any DIY vehicle repairs they should on a similar note be asking for the service history previous mot advisories do you do your own brakes have you checked the tyre dates including the spare do you carry a gas BBQ where are the canisters stored, is there an extra leisure battery been fitted or a B2B etc etc.
It depends how long a list you want!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
So would be any DIY vehicle repairs

Who mentioned repairs, AFAIK Ive never had an Insurance company ask me to inform them about repairs. Have you? They do ask to be informed about additions or alterations. Whether I agree with them or not, given their aversion to claims its easy to see why one of them are wanting to be sure stuff has been fitted professionally.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Who mentioned repairs, AFAIK Ive never had an Insurance company ask me to inform them about repairs. Have you? They do ask to be informed about additions or alterations. Whether I agree with them or not, given their aversion to claims its easy to see why they are wanting to be sure stuff has been fitted professionally.
I certainly agree about the aversion to claims! I think if they are worried about poorly fitted solar why wouldn't they be equally worried about other diy fixes.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I certainly agree about the aversion to claims! I think if they are worried about poorly fitted solar why wouldn't they be equally worried about other diy fixes.

Maybe they are, but we're talking about additions. Not fixing punctures. I can understand why a company might ask about a solar installation addition. You can't. No worries, neither of us run an insurance company.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Having just fitted a solar panel and after much talking to the technical depts of Sika and other companies I think it is pretty damn easy to fit a solar panel badly ! It's not just a matter of squirting some sika under the mounting feet and slapping it onto the roof !

There are some videos on Youtube which show someone fitting a panel in a manner which will almost certainly guarantee it will become airborne and that video had a couple of hundred followers..............................

I'd be happy to have an independent engineer assess not only my solar fitting but also any other modifications I have done on the vehicle. I'd also show them my qualifications which enable me to do them safely. I'd also suggest that I'd be expecting a reduction on the insurance cost in exchange.

Apr 24, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
2001 Hymer B544
Exp
Since 1992
And maybe water damage caused by leaking fixing holes in the roof.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
NFU will insure over 5.5, but they don't supply breakdown on any size motorhome.

OP
OP
Brianmor
Aug 8, 2019
Chichester
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2019
NFU will insure over 5.5, but they don't supply breakdown on any size motorhome.
I get my breakdown cover for the UK and Europe foc through my NatWest account. Parameters are 3.5ton and under 3m high

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.

Australia. Plastic corner blocks. Fifth wheeler. Does show how small the actual footprint is for those corner blocks, with the middle section hollow, and only a tiny thin edge around the block where it sits under the panel.
Mike.

Feb 24, 2018
Humberside
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
Exp
MoHo since March 2018.
i dont think the plastic blocks are fit for purpose2 inch ally angle gives a huge foot print in comparison
Sounds like there may be different plastic feet. The ones I used are solid and the base is a large surface area, plus I added side feet along the long edges

prenteye

Free Member
Feb 9, 2023
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
getting stuck down country lanes since 2016
Try LV

We get good rates from them and European breakdown cover.

Never been asked about mods.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Try LV

We get good rates from them and European breakdown cover.

Never been asked about mods.
Best check the policy, perhaps they don’t have to ask but you have to tell them. My NFU policy clearly states in bold letters “YOU must tell US” in the bit about modifications.

Dec 3, 2021
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Morelo Palace 90M
Exp
Since 2020
NFU asked about my solar panels, but as soon as I confirmed they were main dealer fitted it was no problem. No impact on the premium and no engineers report required. The panels are noted in the schedule and the value included in the total sum insured.

I think asking about the nature of the installation and seeking proof that it has been done properly is probably a valid consideration when underwriting the risk. An engineers report would be a bit of a pain, but I would have thought a chat with the engineer about the products and methods used for installation, along with a visual inspection would be sufficient. Having said that, as Brianmor could get cover cheaper elsewhere without the need for it, I don’t blame him.

Jan 23, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift 686
Exp
Escaping since 2012
So would be any DIY vehicle repairs they should on a similar note be asking for the service history previous mot advisories do you do your own brakes
Surely the MOT retest would count as a good enough report?

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
One point i always find amusing about this is the difference when you compare a Motorhome to say a Boat.... having owned both a Boat and a Motorhome are very similar...in fact many have identical systems.. 12v electrics, solar, gas installations etc etc... and they actually have similar insurance premiums... yet there are never any questions about modifications or accessories fitted to boats... you don't even need an annual MOT or hab/service checks or anything like that.. its presumed the owner/skipper will keep it in seaworthy condition.

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Can understand why with the amount of dummies around bodging things now☹️☹️
Wouldn’t fancy seeing one heading towards me.
There was a thread about this before and one member picked up a new van and by the time he got home a solar panel had gone from the roof😳😳
Autotrail are sending out letters recalling vans due to loose solar panels. 🤪

Mar 9, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E412
Exp
Since 2007
One point i always find amusing about this is the difference when you compare a Motorhome to say a Boat.... having owned both a Boat and a Motorhome are very similar...in fact many have identical systems.. 12v electrics, solar, gas installations etc etc... and they actually have similar insurance premiums... yet there are never any questions about modifications or accessories fitted to boats... you don't even need an annual MOT or hab/service checks or anything like that.. its presumed the owner/skipper will keep it in seaworthy condition.
I guess it’s rare to get a boat traveling at 60mph though 🤣

Tude

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
This as already happened in Spain when you take your van for a itv Spanish mot you need the professional cert for someone fitted the new panel or bike rack or towbar 🤷‍♂️

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back