Newbie to motorhomes saying hi (1 Viewer)

Apr 18, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD590
Exp
Long time caravanner - almost 2 years a motorhomer
Hi everyone. I’ve been caravanning for decades and now have a small-ish motor home so I’m on the adjustment curve. Big discovery is how much motorhomes rattle! My wife and I are taking our first trip out shortly for a shakedown at a local site before venturing further afield. One thing we have to sort out is mobile internet access. I know there are already threads on this but if anyone has up to date info or advice I’m all ears.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Hello and welcome 👍🏻
Mobile internet is easy. If you give us an idea of how much and what you will be using the internet for ,we can help you further 👍🏻

Nov 22, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 746
Exp
I'm a newbie
w2f
I used a 4G kit from www.wifionboard.co.uk and got an unlimited data SIM contract from EE as I work from (motor)home and they offer the most coverage according to OFCOM. Experience so far (three months in) is great.

OP
OP
Essgeebee
Apr 18, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD590
Exp
Hello and welcome 👍🏻
Mobile internet is easy. If you give us an idea of how much and what you will be using the internet for ,we can help you further 👍🏻
Thanks for your reply Swifter. I rarely watch terrestrial TV so have bought an Amazon Firestick. I want to stream Prime and Netflix content. Also need email and to surf the web from two devices at the same time. Eventually, we’ll get to remote areas though not initially. I’d need a WiFi router -ideally not Huawei - that I can link to but I would like to avoid making a hole in my roof for an antenna, at least for now.

OP
OP
Essgeebee
Apr 18, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD590
Exp
w2f
I used a 4G kit from www.wifionboard.co.uk and got an unlimited data SIM contract from EE as I work from (motor)home and they offer the most coverage according to OFCOM. Experience so far (three months in) is great.
Hi ByronMH
Your experience sounds encouraging and I’ll check out wifionboard. Any particular devices you’d suggest I look at or avoid?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi and welcome,

For the rattling use tea towels and pack things nice and tight.
For data we mainly use our phones as my wife has unlimited data and I have 20gb pcm, i''ve never used mine up but if I did my wife would turn her wifi hotspot on. As for watching Prime and Netflix, you can download certain films and series and then watch them offline when you have no signal. If we're going aboard we will download a few on to the laptop or Ipad and once we've watched them we will download some more when on free wifi, this saves data and means no matter the signal we still have something to watch if required.

OP
OP
Essgeebee
Apr 18, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD590
Exp
Hi and welcome,

For the rattling use tea towels and pack things nice and tight.
For data we mainly use our phones as my wife has unlimited data and I have 20gb pcm, i''ve never used mine up but if I did my wife would turn her wifi hotspot on. As for watching Prime and Netflix, you can download certain films and series and then watch them offline when you have no signal. If we're going aboard we will download a few on to the laptop or Ipad and once we've watched them we will download some more when on free wifi, this saves data and means no matter the signal we still have something to watch if required.
Thanks lorger. I have the Netflix and Prime apps on my phone. If I download a film or TV episode to my phone, is there a way to cast it to my motorhome TV, a cab mounted Avtex with Firestick fitted? I find all the different stream/cast/etc terminology and technology a little bit puzzling.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Thanks lorger. I have the Netflix and Prime apps on my phone. If I download a film or TV episode to my phone, is there a way to cast it to my motorhome TV, a cab mounted Avtex with Firestick fitted? I find all the different stream/cast/etc terminology and technology a little bit puzzling.
There’s a couple of ways you can do it, you can get a cable that plugs into your phone and tv or you can cast from phone to firestick.

I don’t have my wife’s phone to see how it’s done but I’m sure when you play something it gives option to cast to firestick.

Nov 22, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 746
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi ByronMH
Your experience sounds encouraging and I’ll check out wifionboard. Any particular devices you’d suggest I look at or avoid?
Hi Essgeebee,

I'd start by having a look at this review on YouTube by a fellow motorhomer, don't just take my word for it, and I'd go for the M600 4G Router With High Gain Roof Mount MiMo Antenna. With good 4G coverage, I'm able to stream on-demand services such as YouTube, BBC iPlayer etc with no issues.

Personally, I don't see the value in going for the 5G router just yet, but that's because I'm hoping to make my way into Europe and beyond soon (where 5G reception is much sparser than here). If you're one to stay around towns or cities, or envisage that you may be holding onto the device for a few years yet, you'll be spending most of your time in the UK and you don't mind spending a few more bob then perhaps go for the 5G. Whilst you won't always get a 5G signal (it'll be replaced with 4G (or 3G if you're very unlucky)) the speed will knock your socks 🧦 off!

You may also find the following coverage links helpful:
https://ee.co.uk/why-ee/5g-on-ee/5g-uk-coverage
https://www.nperf.com/en/map/5g

Hope that all helps. Feel free to ask any further questions :smiley:

Regards,
Abd'your-Rahman

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries