Jeeper

Free Member
Jun 28, 2017
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
At present we have a caravan but are considering a motorhome however we want one with a fixed island bed and preferably with a tall fridge that has a separate freezer. It would need to be second hand as doubt if we could afford a new unit.
Would a motorhome dealer like Brownhills trade in a caravan plus vehicle as the vehicle is now 12 years old? The caravan is a 2016 model and is an Elddis Buccaneer. A motorhome may be more convenient for travelling around Europe especially France and Spain. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Dec 20, 2010
birmingham
Funster No
MH
kon-tiki 669. mazda bongo
Exp
since2011
Just change the van to a MH, and enjoy it. :pink: to fun

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Welcome Animated Emoticon.gif

Not sure about Brownhills but have seen cars for sale at Don Amott so can only assume they took them in part-ex with the caravan against a motorhome. Give them a call, they're in Derby. Although if you're after a 'A' class they only seem to sell coachbuilt.
https://www.leisurekingdom.co.uk/

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
A warm welcome from worcester.
Think very carefully about changing since a big motorhome is not that different to a caravan in terms of where you can camp and then you need transport from the site for local excursions. Although much easier in europe i accept.
We have a PVC and its easy'ish to find somewhere to park around towns and 5 minutes setup until wine o'clock or a cup of tea.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
:welco:

I can't see why they wouldn't accept the trade.

We did a "reverse trade" twelve years ago when we traded in a motorhome for a caravan, plus cash, in order to buy a property in France. Then, four years later we traded in our car and caravan against a motorhome, as we wanted to continue the motorhome experienc, using our base in France for touring Europe.

Best of luck. Welcome to the Forum.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Jeeper, a lot of traders will part exchange caravans but I doubt you'll find many who will touch a 12 year old tow vehicle and if they do, any offer they make for either will likely be very derogatory. With both car and caravan you are much more likely to get a better price selling privately.

In my experience, once you have a motorhome you are likely to use it ten times more than a car and caravan combination. Enjoying spur of the moment getaways that to do in a caravan would be a lot of hassle. Go and buy one, you won't regret it (y) Meanwhile, welcome to the Fun :D

OP
OP
J

Jeeper

Free Member
Jun 28, 2017
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Have been looking at prices and they are eye watering high for a second hand unit unit with a fixed bed, bathroom and decent payload as need to carry a mobility scooter in addition to the normal caravan things. Going to Marquis tomorrow to have a look around, but doubt if we would buy from them.

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
:hiya::WelcomeFlag:

We changed over in January this year and love our Adria MH. We went on a longish (2 month) trip to Spain through France end of March to end of May and really enjoyed the difference...but we had a wonderful but tiny Eriba caravan and find the space in our Adria such a huge pleasure not to mention the fact that we can now use Aires in France and Spain those we loved especially the more remote ones. We've joined French Passion and Britstops and look forward to using these very soon. We sold our Eriba for almost as much as we bought it for 7 years ago and to the dealer we bought it from (they do retain their value) so don't know about trade ins. You won't regret changing that's for sure. Oh yes, we did buy some electric bikes following our first trip to Europe and absolutely love these.

OP
OP
J

Jeeper

Free Member
Jun 28, 2017
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
We are not keen on using Aires as one might as well use a car park. Also Aires are probably not suitable for us as we have 3 small dogs plus it seems most are located out of town. As I have limitations regarding walking, cycling etc we may need to tow a small car with us instead of having to up sticks every time we want to do shopping as public transport is not for me. However if towing a small car we might as well stick with a caravan. Decisions, decisions!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Welcome.

Brownhills made me an offer on my car to part ex against my last van. I thought it a rubbish offer .. but as it turned not bad at all.

The island bed will be upping the price of vehicles you are looking at. Would a fixed bed not suffice?

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
We are not keen on using Aires as one might as well use a car park. Also Aires are probably not suitable for us as we have 3 small dogs plus it seems most are located out of town. As I have limitations regarding walking, cycling etc we may need to tow a small car with us instead of having to up sticks every time we want to do shopping as public transport is not for me. However if towing a small car we might as well stick with a caravan. Decisions, decisions!

Many if not most Aires are in the middle of towns/villages or right on the edge and usually within walking distance 5-10 min walking. France in particular are very dog friendly and dogs are allowed most places adults are allowed apart from some beaches. There are, of course, restrictions on Aires usually you are not allowed to put a table and/or chairs outside your MH but sometimes there are picnic tables close by or one can carry chairs to a space close by.
If you need to have a small car then having a caravan makes a lot more sense....in my humble opinion.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
When Brownhills still had their showroom in the north east back in 2009, they took a twin axle caravan and a VW 4x4 in as part exchange against a 4 month old Bessacarr E769 (with island bed).

OP
OP
J

Jeeper

Free Member
Jun 28, 2017
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
We had a look at some motorhomes At Marquis in Tewkesbury and some were suited to us, but I think the best course of action would be to see if we can hire a motorhome for a week to try it out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back