Newbie here with at least 3 - 5 years till we get our van. (1 Viewer)

madstacks

Free Member
Jul 18, 2017
Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi I'm Paul and my partner is Christina, this is a joint account for us to post and learn.

We are 29 and 34 years old, and run our own business buying and selling all sorts of items - We have decided 3 months ago that a life on the road most definitely IS for us! We do not have children nor will we be having any..We don't have set places of work..We already travel across the country buying and selling :) so with our lack of commitments in one place we feel comfortable to go almost "full time" with just spending a few months at home each year.

Just one problem...No money and no savings...But we really want this! So we have just cleared all our debt (3000 across various credit cards) and have finally been able to start saving..We currently have £300 saved..but now we are debt free the real saving can begin!

We have spent hours apon hours looking at all the layouts - and have visited 3 dealers and spent several hours in the vans working out what will suit us. We are certain to our needs, a fixed/island bed layout, a separately lined shower not wetroom, and two sofas at the front of the van not island. Oh and alde wet central heating is a must.

We plan to stay on sites 99% of the time, and cannot wait to have some freedom (currently live with long suffering parents who also need THEIR freedom from us.)

We do not want to pay of someone else's mortgage nor sign our life's away on a mortgage neither. We want freedom to move as we please, beautiful surroundings and a van we can call our own.

Yes a motorhome is for us:)

So we will get there, £200 pounds at a time until we can finally go to the dealers and see what kind of deal we can barter (I am very comfortable with that, but need to learn what's reasonable in this field)

So many things we need to learn to help us into the new life when we finally get there so no time like the present to join this site:) Hello from us both.

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
(y) Sounds like you should do some research into self builds as you can buy the vehicle and build it as you save! good luck with what ever you decide to do:)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
For most things to succeed you need a plan and you certainly have that, what amount are you hoping to save and spend and feel comfortable with, it's a good plan but will seem like a long road ahead of you but certainly achievable Good Luck
:welcomesign:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
:ello::welcomesign:

How exciting time will fly and you will soon be on the road :)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
IMG_0855.GIF

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
In 3-5 years there will be lots of different models on the market so keep an open mind (and a closed wallet!), and
animated WelcomeGroupSmiley.gif

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Well done on clearing your debts and starting a saving plan, cut back on all you can and put every penny away you'll soon get there.
You are doing the right thing to look at all the vans you can, maybe a good idea to try and talk to people who already have vans and get a snoop inside ones that are being used, this may be difficult but if you get the chance most motor homes are only too pleased to 'show off' their vans!

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
Hello, just follow your dream, we all started at the same point. :WelcomeFlag:

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi and welcome to the fun forum. Good luck with the buying and selling and reaching your goal.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Welcome and good luck. You are in the right place as the Funsters are generous with their help and advice. Even the silly questions get answered (I should know lol),even if they may take the **** along the way.
Save,save,save!

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Hi and Welcome and good luck for your dreams of being free in a MH :)
I'd advise you's to concentrate more on what you spend than what you earn , as no point in earning 30+K a year if you are spending it on stuff which you hardly ever use.
I learned this when we started to sell our stuff from the house to go on the road full time ( still work in progress )
Its then you appreciate what "Useless Crap" we accumulate as humans , and have paid a fortune for.

OP
OP
M

madstacks

Free Member
Jul 18, 2017
Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you all for the warm welcome:)

Our budget will be around the 50k mark, so we are potentialy looking to buy new, however a 40k second hand van with 10k for a maintinence fund should provide better value.

We are fairly frugal so cant cut back too much on spending but im sure we can make some economys somewhere.

We are going to goto the show at shepton mallet in september so should be able to see every concevible layout and equipment:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back