Newbie have I made big mistake? (1 Viewer)

Shazrick

Free Member
Oct 16, 2013
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2009
:welc: Hi yes ask loads questions, when we pick our van up we where there over 5 hours
plus our first weekend away we still rang them for help
all part of the fun

Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
We bought a Hymer Exsis 578 new import from Lee at Edgehill Motorhomes in 2012. I video'd all the instructions & handover on my mobile phone. It all seemed so complicated & still phoned Lee umpteen times about stuff I'd forgotten.

Due to selling our house & breaking my leg pending buying a place in France we've been full-timing since 1 September 2014 & the Hymer's been brilliant. Ours is newer but a relative lightweight so you should be fine with yours-they're a quality build, in my opinion.

Enjoy :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Daveg

Free Member
Sep 2, 2012
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
November 2012
I would STRONGLY advise that your inspector checks the age of the tyres (they are coded). Because a lot of vans don't get driven far, the treads look OK, but they might be perished.

We got caught out like this with our 2007 van, bought in 2013 and fitted with the original tyres which had only done 16,000 miles. One of the treads parted company with the core on the M90. Ripped large hole in the underside with major damage. Off the road for whole of the winter we had intended to spend in Southern Europe.

A harsh lesson. Fortunately insurance covered it, though no claims went out of the window.

I would not accept a van with old tyres ever again. If dealer refused to renew I would walk away.

Dave

OP
OP
Tinty
Mar 29, 2015
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Everyone's advice is going to be invaluable:) Brilliant idea to video the handover I'll definitely be doing that. Really good news that we've chosen a good van as well that puts my mind at rest! Just want to start enjoying it now :LOL:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Everyone's advice is going to be invaluable:) Brilliant idea to video the handover I'll definitely be doing that. Really good news that we've chosen a good van as well that puts my mind at rest! Just want to start enjoying it now :LOL:
Best £10 you will spend this year

Welcome to fun madness

Reactions: GJH
Nov 8, 2014
DORSET
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
Thanks all. It's good to see that we've at least made a good choice of van! Fingers crossed it's that good we'll never need Glossops
:clap2:Firstly, the Tenner, you wont spend a better one.
:Eeek:Secondly, the comments here are all valid.
:moon2:Thirdly, you can read my experiences on the dealer page of this site, go to Dolphin Motor Homes, You can learn from everything that you read and hear for yourself.
(y)And finally, a very warm welcome to you and yours, I'm sure that you will not regret becoming a MH owner.
p.s. DONT FORGET TO TAKE THE CORK SCREW.:wine:
David

Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years

Amidst all the serious advice, I hope you enjoy this YouTube video concerning the adventures of a couple & their dog in a 20 year old B series Hymer. Me & our grand-kids love it

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Corkscrew and wine glasses was first on my list :beerchug:
Time to get yourself booked into a FUN rally then. Sounds like you will fit in just fine. (y):D

Nice van; nothing like starting at the top! (y)

OP
OP
Tinty
Mar 29, 2015
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks everyone for making me feel so welcome.

I'm thinking the York rally will be a definite ::bigsmile:

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm thinking the York rally will be a definite ::bigsmile:

If you are wanting somebody to convoy down with (Newton Aycliffe), just so we are safe amongst all those southerners, give me a shout :D

Brian

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I'm thinking the York rally will be a definite
That's a long time to wait - it's not until June 2016 (or have I missed something?).

Hartlepool is sooner. Maybe not quite so much 'off-site' attraction, but you will be busy meeting people & anyway, I don't think York Minster authorities approve of funsters getting a party going in nave. :)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
That's a long time to wait - it's not until June 2016 (or have I missed something?).

Hartlepool is sooner. Maybe not quite so much 'off-site' attraction, but you will be busy meeting people & anyway, I don't think York Minster authorities approve of funsters getting a party going in nave. :)
That would be a Knave Rave in the Nave would it? :LOL:

OP
OP
Tinty
Mar 29, 2015
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a newbie
I didn't know about Hartlepool sounds like a plan (y) Will be good to meet everyone

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Looks like a full house Graham, is there still space?

Brian

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
A belated welcome from me too, a fellow Hymer owner, don't be surprised at hand over if the dealer doesn't know as much as you might have expected about your new purchase, there are so many variations across manufacturers that in fairness it would be unlikely that they would know all the details

I got mine home from a private purchase and couldn't remember anything, or hadn't been told very well, probably a combination of the two, that is when I joined MHF, so many questions, starting like you with have I done the right thing, right through to where do I find, how do I do ..... etc etc now occasionally I can give a little back

We now feel like experts compared to 2 years ago

As I bought privately I had a chance to discuss with the owner why they were selling, this I think is really useful, if you can get a copy of the V5 and call the previous owner, tell Glossop you want to do a HPI check to get a copy of the V5. They will have sold for a reason, hopefully just an upgrade, but there maybe something more serious for you to keep an eye on

As others have pointed out, you are not buying brand new, there will be signs of ownership unless it has been parked up unused somewhere, have fun learning, we did, once I put the panic behind me (y)

Being a nosey type I had a look on the Glossop Caravans web site, they must have already delisted yours, look forward to seeing pictures with no doubt more questions :)

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
OK, I'll get on it.

Brian

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Morning all ✋ I'm new to the forum but been reading through the threads for a month or two gaining some knowledge on MHs. On Saturday we went toHarrogate show and ended up buying a Hymer C Class 2007 model I've read Hymers are good reliable vans, now my issue is we bought from Glossop Caravans I've since read reviews on them and am now panicking! It's really took the shine off the excitement of buying the MH! Anyway hello from me I'm probably going to be asking loads of questions.

We bought ours at Glossop, never had a problem with them or anything to do with the van. Pete

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I would STRONGLY advise that your inspector checks the age of the tyres (they are coded). Because a lot of vans don't get driven far, the treads look OK, but they might be perished.

Good tip...

when I inspected the tyres on the Hymer they were date coded .. 0806 .. plenty of tread left but well past the safe use by date..
for those who don't know.. the date code is on the edge of the tyre near the rim just after the DOT code..

The first two letters are the week of the year, and the second two numbers the year.

As soon as I pointed this out the dealer agreed to fit four new.. I doubt very much if they would have changed them otherwise, as it had just passed an MOT .

Picture1.jpg

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I don't know Brian but I think there probably is space. Mike (makems), the organiser will be able to confirm.

Job done, I'm in. Give me a chance to try out my new Chinese Sat Nav :D

Brian

Reactions: GJH

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hope it all goes well for you, and welcome, our Wellhouse van due soon we've already been sent a dvd showing how everything works, but it will be case of being shown again on the dispatch day, dvd just about covers every aspect of using the van, location of fuses etc etc. plus there will be base vehicle handbook and habitation handbook,

OP
OP
Tinty
Mar 29, 2015
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Good tip about the tyres. We ring Glossops tomorrow to get a date to pick the Hymer up. Can't wait to have our first trip out!

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
Good tip about the tyres. We ring Glossops tomorrow to get a date to pick the Hymer up. Can't wait to have our first trip out!

Can I suggest you look at they have good information on their site, and an explanation how to understand what you will be looking for, if recall after 1999 tyres would have for example 24/10 this would mean 24th week of 2010, hope this helps

Edit I think the site is www.tyresafe.org

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
Sorry had a editing problem but the link works and it is the place I was suggesting

Mar 26, 2015
geordie land
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Delaware
Exp
1980's
Hi Tinty and :welc: Don't let anything take the shine off having your first van you can't beet it (y) Get out there and enjoy it , things can go wrong with any van, new or second hand ,and there is always lots of other fun members ready to help if they can with any of your questions. We have just joined the fun club and I noticed you come from Darlington, we live just outside of Barnard Castle.
Mew and Mick (a pair of recycled teenagers )

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back