Newbie .. Buying a motorhome /converted van (1 Viewer)

Jul 24, 2021
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Hi All .. I'm wanting to buy a motorhome/van to get me around the coast and see if it works for me. I don't mind a bit of a project eg Ford transit renovation .Also would like to rent out when I'm not using it
Never had one before, so I'm needing advice on virtually evrythg! But as a starting point:

Best starter motorhome/make for up to four ppl? How much?
Van ..converted or not..how much?
Best ad sites to rent it out
Insurance advice on rentals

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Personally I think renting it out is a mine field and you have to remember that you will incur damage by renters and if it needs extensive repairs and you have next client waiting what do you do?šŸ¤”

OP
OP
trayR
Jul 24, 2021
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Good advice Speve..thanks šŸ˜Ž

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
trayR
Jul 24, 2021
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Hi David ..I've just posted a short profile. Thank you ! Hope to get going on the road soonish

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Forget renting it out when you get one, To much hassle leave that for the big boys. As your first motorhome/camper get something small and see if you like it then go bigger. At the moment they are all hard to get and prices are high. Think about what your going to use it for, how long etc. The layout is important, can you live with it, park it at home etc. Do have the right licence for a bigger one, what are you going to take with you remember everything weighs something. Good luck in your search. Plenty of good advice and Experience on here so donā€™t be scared to ask. (y)

OP
OP
trayR
Jul 24, 2021
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Thanks Mikey RV . You're right, Small steps ..small van..test the waters . Will be mainly for weekend trips ..and just me to start with ..then me and family /friends
This forum will be invaluable..I'm not shy to ask ha ..
šŸ™šŸ™

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
:hiya:
For a first van for yourself, you couldnā€™t do better than something like this VW conversion currently in classifieds. We started with a similar one and toured Europe for 8 years. Loved the VW drive and the Autosleeper conversion of that era. You wouldnā€™t lose hardly any money on it if you like the life and later decide on something bigger.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Welcome.
There's a section of this website dedicated to self-builds/conversions here:

As said, forget renting for all the practical reasons.
And if you really want to know whether you could make some income from it get a 'what if......' quote from Comfort Insurance who are offering rental cover:

Thinking about sharing your motorhome with friends and family

discover by comfort

If you havenā€™t already got a full travel itinerary planned for the summer and beyond, you may perhaps be considering lending your motorhome or campervan to friends and family. If youā€™re interested in doing this without risking your blemish free driving record, you might be interested in Discover. Thereā€™s also the option to use your motorhome or campervan to generate some extra income to help earn its keep when itā€™s not in use. If you would like to find out more, please call one of our friendly team on 0208 984 0666.​

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I think a browse around the site will put you off renting or loaning your van to friends or unknowns.
Way more horror stories than "I've made a nice little earner" stories.

I stand to be corrected, but I don't know of any of the 10K+ users of this forum rent out their pride and joy on a regular basis.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Have a look at a conversion you will get more for your money with a conversion but quality / specs do vary.

MH and van prices are sky high ATM.

However minibuses are cheap because if lack of social activities.

Cheers James

Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
I'd hugely recommend hiring before you buy.

We did, and found the layout we thought we work wasn't the one for us. Saved us a load of money.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back