New vs second hand (2 Viewers)

Which of these options fits your experience best

• Bought brand new MH - experienced no problems

Votes: 9 9.8%
  • Bought brand new MH - experienced minor problems, dealer fixed quickly

Votes: 18 19.6%
  • Bought brand new MH - experienced major problems, dealer fixed quickly

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Bought brand new MH - experienced major problems, still outstanding after >3 months

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Bought pre-owned MH (under 7yrs old) - experienced no problems

Votes: 45 48.9%
  • Bought pre-owned MH (under 7yrs old) - experienced minor problems, dealer fixed quickly

Votes: 10 10.9%
  • Bought pre-owned MH (under 7yrs old) - experienced major problems, dealer fixed quickly

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Bought pre-owned MH (under 7yrs old) - experienced major problems, still outstanding after >3 months

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters

Cupcake

Free Member
Apr 13, 2010
Norfolk Broads
Funster No
Exp
since July 2009
good poll.... interesting results so far..
our motorhome was bought 2nd hand the reason being, went on holiday last year tugging our much loved donkeys years old van, whilst away realised it was finally well past it's best, hubby spent half the holiday trying to 'fix things'. So towards the end of the holiday decided it was time for it to go...so should we go for the cheaper option of a new van or just 'bite the bullet' and go for the motorhome which we had planned to do in a few years time. In the end i just said to hubby to imagine if we had the money in our pocket to pay for either which would he want...he said m/home so that was it, we came home from holiday on the Saturday on the Sunday went to a local dealer, looked at both 2nd hand & new m/homes in the same price bracket and what sealed it was the build quality & fixtures & fittings were so much better in our price range in the 2nd hand model we bought, it's on a 07 plate. We had no preconceived ideas on the layout /model we wanted just went for the one that 'felt right'. So have borrowed a shed load of money from a nice bank man unfortunately will take a good few years to pay him back !! but we both work fulltime so thought why wait for the m/home..... and do we use it much ?oh yes! have not had a weekend at home since about the middle of March & today I got to drive it home for the 1st time had been dithering about driving it but so glad i gave it a go......sorry have rambled a bit but just wanted to say that sometimes you just have to 'go for it'!! :Smile:

kickstart

Free Member
Dec 13, 2008
south yorkshire, Benidorm
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 years
Excelent post and interesting results and views, we have had good and bad experiences with new and pre owned things from motorbikes to houses,but as has been said by others you know when its right the moment you step into or onto it. :Smile:

OP
OP
W

White Rose

Free Member
Oct 14, 2009
West Yorks
Funster No
OK, feel free to correct my maths if I've had a percentages crisis :Smile:, but with 60 votes so far the numbers are

Of those who bought new
No probs - 37%
Minor probs - 42%
Major problems but quickly fixed - 10%
Major problems, not fixed after 3 months - 10%

Of those who bought used
No Probs - 75%
Minor prob - 20%
Major probs quickly fixed - 2%
Major probs not fixed after 3 months - 2%

Disclaimer bit - the numbers don't make 100% because of rounding, they probably aren't statistically significant (more votes please!) and the poll questions have got more gaps and flaws than I care to think about now I look at it stone cold sober, but it is kind of interesting ....

It makes me perhaps more inclined to buy used - Dawnbreak's points about how nice it is to have something that's never been anyone else's do ring true, but for reliability and to avoid disappointment ...? hmmmm...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
OK, feel free to correct my maths if I've had a percentages crisis :Smile:, but with 60 votes so far the numbers are

Of those who bought new
No probs - 37%
Minor probs - 42%
Major problems but quickly fixed - 10%
Major problems, not fixed after 3 months - 10%

Of those who bought used
No Probs - 75%
Minor prob - 20%
Major probs quickly fixed - 2%
Major probs not fixed after 3 months - 2%

Disclaimer bit - the numbers don't make 100% because of rounding, they probably aren't statistically significant (more votes please!) and the poll questions have got more gaps and flaws than I care to think about now I look at it stone cold sober, but it is kind of interesting ....

It makes me perhaps more inclined to buy used - Dawnbreak's points about how nice it is to have something that's never been anyone else's do ring true, but for reliability and to avoid disappointment ...? hmmmm...

I find it amazing that 37% of folks that bought brand new had no problems, what about the other 63%? Thats an amazing failure rate for such an expensive item. Can you imagine buying a TV with a 2 out of 3 chance that you will have to take it back to the shop, The manufacturer would be on Watchdog constantly!!!

Personally I would never EVER buy new, so what if someone has slept in the bed before you, at least you know the bed is strong enough and wont collapse!!! I would put the money i save buying used towards going away in the m/h and filling it with all the comforts of home!!!

lallymc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
Exp
1 year
we have just brought new and pick up our new mh on thursday :Smile:

The reason we went knew was because we couldnt find what we wanted second hand, our last unit we got was about a year old and loved the swift so much but the lay out was wrong, he have opted for the swift sundance 630l because it has the layout , decor, build and everything we want.

We want our van to last us the next 15 20 years if we can then we hit retirement we will think about changing again.

I cant comment yet for problems but will certainly let you know :Smile:

john n tanner

Free Member
Jun 3, 2009
SWANSEA
Funster No
MH
A class R.V.
Exp
18 YEARS
NEW V/s second hand

YES,We have always bought second hand, from dealers,BUT,with major faults,we took our RV back to YES to BROWNHILLS!!!!!!, NEWARK,because, WESTCROFTS AMERICAN M/Homes, CANNOCK.HAD GONE BUST!!!SO IT TOOK, BROWNHILLS 45 WEEKS,to repair, ALL THE MAJOR FAULTS,which were many,BUT,certainly not quickly,Because, the DEALER BY LAW,as rights too, to be allowed time to put the Motorhome right. YES, it`s a good RV, NOW. JOHN & MYRTLE...

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
everything we have bought was over 10 years old so no place to vote. Most certainly would not buy new. Rather let someone else take the initial depreciation and sort the manufacturing faults.

spiritsfree

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
Sandy, Beds.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Dethleffs "Magic Edition"

We bought a new Dethleffs as we couldn`t find the right layout, and have no regrets at all. It hits all "the right spots" and just returned from 4 weeks touring Scotland. Brilliant trip !!... and had all the on board power we wanted, very comfortable, spacious, and cosy....and nothing but compliments about the motorhome...and the dealer. An initial "duff" freeview box was replaced immediately and everything else works as it should do...or more than expectation, in our estimation. We are well pleased with the "Magic Bus"...but like all of these surveys, it`s each to their own !!:thumb:

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
Couldn't take part in the poll because with my last MH from dealer in Lincolnshire, there was no option for bought new - minor problems - but waited AGES & AGES, made LOADS of phone calls (about 100 +) & emails to get a few minor problems sorted. Would never ever buy from the dealer again because of the after sales.

Previous MH bought from Germany - minor problems - fixed quickly

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Your Poll did not allow for Private sales.

After a lot of reearch on Manufacturers/Models etc. got my wish list down to about 6 models across 3-4 manufacturers.

By then I really knew what I wanted, including difference in value between a dealer's price (including warranty/service etc.) and the approx 15% discount on a private sale.

At first went for a dealer sale on N+B Arto 69G, paid deposit, and they sold it out from under my feet.

Dealer did me a favour, I got similar (N+B Arto 69G 2003) in private sale with only 16,000 miles for £5000 less.

As far as anybody sleeping in the bed, which woman or man on here married a virgin? and what does a new mattress cost anyway?

It takes time to make the right decision either way.

Good luck

Geoff

P.S. Dealer's address is Blackpool Road

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back