Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello everyone, further to my question on new tyres yesterday.. I opted for Michelin camper, l emailed Kwik fit asking if they did metal HP valves and they phoned and said they would fit metal valves at no extra cost . So l booked online to have them fitted .. Today l had a call from them and was told, l was given false information and they don't fit metal valves and they refunded my money.. I'm now confused.. are the standard valves they fit suitable for the job.. (l'm a newbie full timer) . I appreciate any advice . Thank you

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Assuming you already have metal valves there should be no need to change them... Or remove them.
If the begin to leak they need new seals, not replacing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Don't have to be metal valves but do have to be high pressure valves. They do rubber snap in high pressure ones the have a brass centre core.
Like this.
Screenshot_20190301-190638_crop_377x302.jpg

If you already have metal valves just get them to fit new cores

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
Assuming you already have metal valves there should be no need to change them... Or remove them.
If the begin to leak they need new seals, not replacing.
Hiya Pappa, I'm changing my tyres and wanted metallic valves fitted as advised by Michelin

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Had camper tyres fitted at Halfords, :rolleyes: told them I wanted metal valves, the manager told me he had a motorhome and has normal valves, the tyre fitter said you should have metal valves, the manager went off and got some. (y)
The fitter said if you went down a pot hole at that pressure the normal valve could blow out. :eek: Bob

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
Had camper tyres fitted at Halfords, :rolleyes: told them I wanted metal valves, the manager told me he had a motorhome and has normal valves, the tyre fitter said you should have metal valves, the manager went off and got some. (y)
The fitter said if you went down a pot hole at that pressure the normal valve could blow out. :eek: Bob

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
Exactly my point.. How many know this? ..the standard valve is not fit for the purpose because of the high pressure

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Don't have to be metal valves but do have to be high pressure valves. They do rubber snap in high pressure ones the have a brass centre core.
Like this.
View attachment 286829

If you already have metal valves just get them to fit new cores
All valves have a metal sleeve but looking at those they also have a metal collar at the bottom, rubber covered, to prevent them blowing out the hole.

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
You miss my point.
If you already have metal valves they don't need changing.
If you have rubber valves it's advisable to fit metal
Sorry papa John,, l have cheap Chinese tyres on atm with only standard valves..

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Many years ago one of my first vans had rubber valves.
One tyre had a slowish leak but I couldn't find anything obvious so took the wheel off.
While submerging in the water trough I knocked the valve and heard air escape.
I pushed the valve sideways and it actually came off at the rim.
The rubber had perished and the bit inside the wheel was loose still inside the wheel while I had the rest of the valve in my hand.
That could have gone the next time I set off or at 60mph on the road.
Metal valves after that.
Even if the sealing rings leak the valve will stay in place.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Sorry papa John,, l have cheap Chinese tyres on atm with only standard valves..
Standard valves are only suitable for max pressure of 65 psi, way too low for most campers.
Bear in mind pressure increases by at least 10 psi when up to running temperature.

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
Many years ago one of my first vans had rubber valves.
One tyre had a slowish leak but I couldn't find anything obvious so took the wheel off.
While submerging in the water trough I knocked the valve and heard air escape.
I pushed the valve sideways and it actually came off at the rim.
The rubber had perished and the bit inside the wheel was loose still inside the wheel while I had the rest of the valve in my hand.
That could have gone the next time I set off or at 60mph on the road.
Metal valves after that.
Even if the sealing rings leak the valve will stay in place.
Good point and potential life saving.. I'm only a newbie but think metallic valves should be the norm in MH tyres..

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
Standard valves are only suitable for max pressure of 65 psi, way too low for most campers.
Bear in mind pressure increases by at least 10 psi when up to running temperature.
Agreed Lenny.. Tbh l would never have known about metallic valves if not for this fantastic site.. Surely tyre fitting centre's should have a care of duty to fit valves suitable for the purpose .

Nov 28, 2018
Edzell Scotland.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
I was about to ask the question also regarding metal valves, but you beat me to it. I have an older Renault Trafic Holdsworth Motorhome,( We Love it ) We were on site just a few days ago and woke up in the morning to find my drivers front tyre flat, My Wife tried to blame me for pumping them up too far the day before, but when I checked them they were approximately 40-45 psi, I said that was too low, so after researching the net I found that they should be about 55 psi ?, so that,s what I put them at. Anyway after getting a shot of a high pressure compressor found out that it was leaking at the valve ( rubber and perished ) The same person offered to take me to the local Garage to get it repaired so I accepted. Job done and back on Motorhome, it was the valve. Anyway was speaking to the owner of the Camp Site on leaving and he is a Motorhomer also and told me that they should be metal. I was a bit annoyed because the Garage had fitted a rubber valve, but I did not know any better being a Newbie and a stranger to the area. But I will be changing all my valves very soon to metal.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Agreed Lenny.. Tbh l would never have known about metallic valves if not for this fantastic site.. Surely tyre fitting centre's should have a care of duty to fit valves suitable for the purpose .
Tyre fitters don't have a clue, I had a puncture repaired by ATS, before I could stop the guy he had ripped the high pressure valve out. When asked if he had a high pressure valve to replace I got "we do all the local dairy's vans they run at 80psi we use standard valves" .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Most drive-in tyre centers mostly cater for cars and the tyre fitters are geared up for cars.
Yes, they do light trucks and vans but to the fitters they are just bigger cars.
When I've had car tyres fitted I always ask what torque they set the nuts at?

"we set them all the same..XXNm"

"OK. Back it out and I'LL get my torque wrench out the boot and set them to manufacturers torque"

They don't care, they don't have time to care

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
The increase when running does not count, if the pressure is 65psi when cold then normal valves are okay.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Had metal valves on a Burstner a few years ago but they did not like the alloy wheels, one valve got corroded after two years and snapped off.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
You are using Kwik Fit ?????????

Find a local mobile guy who NEEDS the customer base
he will be cheaper
fit what you ask including metal valves
and do it where YOU are so you don't need to drive to him

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
I was about to ask the question also regarding metal valves, but you beat me to it. I have an older Renault Trafic Holdsworth Motorhome,( We Love it ) We were on site just a few days ago and woke up in the morning to find my drivers front tyre flat, My Wife tried to blame me for pumping them up too far the day before, but when I checked them they were approximately 40-45 psi, I said that was too low, so after researching the net I found that they should be about 55 psi ?, so that,s what I put them at. Anyway after getting a shot of a high pressure compressor found out that it was leaking at the valve ( rubber and perished ) The same person offered to take me to the local Garage to get it repaired so I accepted. Job done and back on Motorhome, it was the valve. Anyway was speaking to the owner of the Camp Site on leaving and he is a Motorhomer also and told me that they should be metal. I was a bit annoyed because the Garage had fitted a rubber valve, but I did not know any better being a Newbie and a stranger to the area. But I will be changing all my valves very soon to metal.
I'm also a newbie(7 months) as l said in a previous comment, if not for this site l would have brought new tyres and been confident just having my new tyres, and would've been ignorant to the fact that you should have the proper valves ... After reading a few comments it seems many are also misinformed about the importance of using metal valves..

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
It was ordinary valve on my Chausson and all the trouble I had was flat tyre caused by valve failure. They were tha original valves and 8 years old, they failed when the rubbere failed, but it turned out that the Ford factory in Turkey had been fitting these very dodgy ones for years, the brass insert only went into the rubber about 10mm and the UK type goes right down, it was the valves flexing so much that split them. I fitted metal ones and no more trouble.

missmollie

Free Member
Jul 30, 2008
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Knaus SUN TI
Exp
since 2006
If your wheels already have metal valve bodies the tyre fitter will replace the actual schrader valve that screws into the metal body, you don't need to change the whole thing unless it is corroded. You should have metal valves due to the high pressure like a truck does, have tried Tyres on the Drive or Black circle for your tyres?

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
I would have thought metal valves would be standard on a camper tyre with the weight.
apparently not ,,I have just sent an email to Kwik fit expressing my concerns

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
You are using Kwik Fit ?????????

Find a local mobile guy who NEEDS the customer base
he will be cheaper
fit what you ask including metal valves
and do it where YOU are so you don't need to drive to him
yes the company was Kwik fit

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
If your wheels already have metal valve bodies the tyre fitter will replace the actual schrader valve that screws into the metal body, you don't need to change the whole thing unless it is corroded. You should have metal valves due to the high pressure like a truck does, have tried Tyres on the Drive or Black circle for your tyres?
I did try those mentioned but Kwik fit were cheaper

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
I use a local firm found via the black circles website that like all of them says they are the cheapest and he beat their quote! I never trust the big companies to do anything to my vehicles they just don’t have the expertise in my experience.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back