New style Smart car owners - you probably need a software update! (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Today our Smart ForTwo sat nav wasn't working correclty, it wasn't showing the time in the top right corner and there was no connection to 'live' services. After resetting it to factory settings didn't sort it, and hubby playing with it to see if he could set the clock manually which wasn't possible (it was greyed out), I decided to have a look on line and found that there is a software issue so an updated version needs to be installed.

This is what it's all about:

Get your smart Media-System up to date – it's simple, fast and straightforward.

Your smart Media-System continually receives the current time signal by way of GPS data. A so-called Week Number Rollover (WNRO) is scheduled for this GPS time signal on 06.04.2019,following which it is possible that your smart Media-System may no longer be able to handle this signal correctly. As a result, the time may no longer be displayed in your vehicle, and implausible arrival times may be shown. We therefore recommend you to take action now and update your Media-System.

Get your smart fit for the future now: all it takes to get your smart Media-System up to speed is a swift and straightforward software update to make sure it continues working correctly. The update is provided by our system partner TomTom, only takes around 15 minutes and does not require any special know-how.

The below link gives details of how to do the update:

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Thank Mel
Did both of ours a couple of weeks ago. Got an email direct from Tom Tom as we had registered the cars when we first downloaded the maps a couple of years ago.
Had an email reminder as well from smart.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thank Mel
Did both of ours a couple of weeks ago. Got an email direct from Tom Tom as we had registered the cars when we first downloaded the maps a couple of years ago.
Had an email reminder as well from smart.
Our Smart was pre-registered by the dealer and we bought it when it was three months old so the sat-nav etc was set-up for us by them, probably why we didn't get any notifications.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I could see the attraction to the old shaped Smart car but just find the new ones have lost the look.
A software update wont change that!

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I could see the attraction to the old shaped Smart car but just find the new ones have lost the look.
A software update wont change that!
I prefer the older ones too, especially the peanut headlight ones (apparently the most popular one produced) but we wanted a modern car, hence our compromise of a new model Smart ForTwo ... they're still great fun regardless!

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Even better fun when you’ve got an Electric Drive :D

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just a bit more info for those who will need to do the software update, it can take a LOT longer than the 15-20 mins suggested!

Hubby stuck the USB with the downloaded software update into the Smart as instructed and it has taken HOURS for the car to accept it, hubby turned the ignition off and on again during this time to see if it needed a 'kick up the exhaust pipe' to sort it which may, or may not, have made a difference.

Anyway, I can report that it is now showing the right time etc so all is good.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I prefer the older ones too, especially the peanut headlight ones (apparently the most popular one produced) but we wanted a modern car, hence our compromise of a new model Smart ForTwo ... they're still great fun regardless!
We ended up with a Toyota IQ which I sometimes prefer to drive than my Jag.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We ended up with a Toyota IQ which I sometimes prefer to drive than my Jag.
That's a very 'girly' looking little car! :X3: Great fun too though I'm sure. Can't be doing with big cars myself, the smaller the better so long as they do what we need them to ... hubby brought back 4 x 100L of mulch in our Smart the other day, it's amazing what you can get in them.

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
The update is needed for a lot of older TomTom devices including where they have provided kit built into vehicles - we have a Renault Scenic that needed it for the built in satnav.

As Minky Girl said, the GPS satellites send a week number as part of the info and it reached its maximum of 1023 on april 6th and rolled over back to zero to start again. The software update was needed to cope with this. Our Garmin satnav seems to be ok as we keep that updated regularly (easier to take that in the house and plug into PC than the built in car one :) )

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back