Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Wow feel a bit swamped!

To be clear, the property is a large bungalow and has some very good workshops, this attracted me as my circumstances are changing (covid/Brexit/personal) and I’d like continue a design/manufacture business from home, the property seemed reasonably priced, but it is in a completely different part of the country.

I came across the camp site while reading the property details, it was not mentioned in the main advert, then checked the site on line and saw it got good reviews, and is not too close to the house.

There is plenty of land to expand the site, but I wouldn’t want a 30 pitch site (although I’m sure Jim’s maths are correct) I’d only consider that if someone else was looking after it as I want to continue attending motorsport events and touring etc, also I’m not a smiley people person, on campsites I’m polite and helpful but not looking for a new mate.

The vendor seems to have done an exceptional job with the site, and if I don’t buy it I’ll certainly visit next year, they’ve sent me the accounts for the site and it makes money, but certainly not enough as a sole business to attract me, that said if I’m on site working then it’s a good add on.

I can see away to easily use technology to remotely control the site access and payment etc (it’s a skill I’ve already trained for) which should reduce my commitment but someone will still need to be on hand to stop people stealing plums etc.

One of the workshops could be rented out to another business, such as a small retail outlet etc and possibly that business owner could strike a deal on rent for site cover (this is just a thought)

Personally l would prefer 10 well behaved full timers, or maybe 10 storage slots that people can stay at.

I recently looked at running a storage site, and it ain’t for me.

As for our travelling “friends“ really NOT an issue, I’ve spent today installing triple security gates on a business estate, (three gates separated to allow cars and artics to be controlled, cars have three controlled gates to pass through, artics have two gates) and these can be controlled from anywhere in the world with 4g or WiFi. I’m looking to design and manufacture gates, design and build computer networks and install CCTV and alarms in the future as these are skills I can transfer from my existing business.

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
There’s a lovely one not far from me (although not sure about location), as above don’t take bookings when you want to get away or trade a free pitch for a trusted person to look after it when you go away. The one I have seen has an annexe that could be used by a ‘warden’ when required.

<Broken link removed>
Oh isn’t that lovely!:envy:

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
has an annexe that could be used by a ‘warden’ when required.
Hi.
5-6 van site .one tap. Chemical empty point EHU each pitch... Had a Static caravan to one side that a " Seasonal Warden " stayed in. Ride on mower. As Old Mo has said,you don't have to go out every day to meet people,they come to you. We dropped out the rat race many years ago,went as trainee wardens for the then C.Club. On site in the UK in the summer,off to warmer places in the winter,great times at weekends. Why did we stop ? House prices were doubling and re doubling,so we pulled the pin ,got back into bricks and mortar and went back to our jobs.
Tea Bag

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Boris7

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
There’s a lovely one not far from me (although not sure about location), as above don’t take bookings when you want to get away or trade a free pitch for a trusted person to look after it when you go away. The one I have seen has an annexe that could be used by a ‘warden’ when required.

Interestingly I just hate that, I'd rather a smaller house (preferably a bungalow, not that I need one but we all know that days coming) and more land in a more rural and coastal setting, thats down to a promise I once made)

Apr 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Converted transit
Exp
You've bloody done in now ain't ya.
Been googling away like a little mouse.
found a few nice places.
Oh dear, but then
Stumbled upon perfection
Sea views ✅
Rural setting✅
spitting distance of civilisation ✅
Charming accommodation✅
modest campsite ✅
Hah!

In a bit of the world I'd never even considered moving, and about as far from what I'd been looking for as you can get, but now I've discovered it....

uh oh
About £600,000 more than I've got to spend 🚫
Ah well a girl can dream.
Back to planA for me!
{quickly typing} National lottery online 🤣

OP
OP
Boris7

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
You've bloody done in now ain't ya.
Been googling away like a little mouse.
found a few nice places.
Oh dear, but then
Stumbled upon perfection
Sea views ✅
Rural setting✅
spitting distance of civilisation ✅
Charming accommodation✅
modest campsite ✅
Hah!

In a bit of the world I'd never even considered moving, and about as far from what I'd been looking for as you can get, but now I've discovered it....

uh oh
About £600,000 more than I've got to spend 🚫
Ah well a girl can dream.
Back to planA for me!
{quickly typing} National lottery online 🤣
A link would be good

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Yep had that, we had a plum tree completely stripped last year, we had a very efficient guard on them all this year champers :D

You do get the odd one or two to take the pee, we still get loads of wet wipes in the cesspit, and the rubbish can be ridiculous, we only have a few small bins, people throw loose food like chips or rice or curry and even hot charcoal ashes into the recycle bin.🤬 And the stuff they throw away!! Someone will tell me the bins are full and I say they can't be I only emptied yesterday! the things you find, knackered old batteries, dozens of pairs of smelly old shoes, I do mean dozens, 30 year old windbreaks, old car radiators. continental quilts,Wellington boots, lumps of linoleum. carpet, saucepans, old chairs, pillows, waterpipe, picnic tables, mattresses. I've got three or four bins to cope with the bit of waste camping generates, but people just dump on you before they leave.
If you come across a size 9 right hand wellie with a orange steel to cap, put to one side I’ve left mine in a footing we poured

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Boris7 hi sunshine, I've put off replying as it's such a huge decision. I'd hate to say anything that pushes you in the wrong direction. What a big step..... and it could go either way for you.

Half of me says, no, stay safe and comfortable but the other half says if you think you can do it go for it. If it fails... at least you have tried. You know I wish you all the luck in the world whatever you decide.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
So I've been looking at houses, with a view of a new start and came across a house that appears to suit all my needs etc,

But then when reading through the details was surprised to find it comes with a caravan and motorhome site included, all with EHU, water and a waste point etc..

Anyway I've checked on the web and the site has a good reputation and regular visitors etc

Not a massive site (10 slots) but potentially a good side line, or maybe a blooming headache?

Any thoughts?
The all important asking price ?

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Better to regret the things you have done than regret the things you haven't.
I have made a few wrong choices and regretted them as have most people...

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
From what I understand you were looking at the property and not the business, and that is what I think you should concentrate on, then decide if the business is of interest to you.

OP
OP
Boris7

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Boris7 hi sunshine, I've put off replying as it's such a huge decision. I'd hate to say anything that pushes you in the wrong direction. What a big step..... and it could go either way for you.

Half of me says, no, stay safe and comfortable but the other half says if you think you can do it go for it. If it fails... at least you have tried. You know I wish you all the luck in the world whatever you decide.
Thanks Mum,

I love the look of the house etc, and I need a change so I'm only thinking about that at the moment, if I go for the house I will then make a decision on the campsite separately, I'm generally in favour of the idea, but don't want a weight around my neck, so I'm thinking maybe buy the place and then give the campsite 3 months and if its not working for me close it.

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
Thanks Mum,

I love the look of the house etc, and I need a change so I'm only thinking about that at the moment, if I go for the house I will then make a decision on the campsite separately, I'm generally in favour of the idea, but don't want a weight around my neck, so I'm thinking maybe buy the place and then give the campsite 3 months and if its not working for me close it.
Three months isn’t very long. I’d try it out for a year.

OP
OP
Boris7

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Three months isn’t very long. I’d try it out for a year.
You have no idea how impatient I can be, I’ve spent the last 13 months trying for something that really matters to me. That’s so unlike me, 3 months would almost certainly become 2 or maybe even 1.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Apparently I have been told that the "real" advantage of running a campsite is the ridiculous amount of "cash" it generates, literally carrier bags full when the site is busy in the Summer

People happily flash the cash for awnings, pup tents, A framed cars, dogs, cats, children, hot water, showers, electricity, WiFi, LoFo, awning mats you name if, you charge for it and people just hand the dosh over!!

It really in better than printing money

I've been told!
We know your site is a goldmine, it must be for you to offer free pitches to Vanbitz customers :winky:

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
My next door neighbour had a 15 acre caravan park and I was doing all the roads and landscaping for him, walking around one day and a full time chap who was out at work had left a big bar heater in the awning on full throttle😂😂

He went over and pulled the plug out, that’s why my electric bill is over £5k a month he said.

A while after they were all on a meter😁😁

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
If the property is perfect in every other respect, and the campsite is an addition, you could look to either sell off that land, or if it is just a little too close to the rest of the property, let it out on a rolling lease

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back