New sink-top covering required (1 Viewer)

popotla

Free Member
Jun 5, 2018
Germany
Funster No
MH
3.5t on Ford Ranger
Exp
Come to Germany! It's great for motorhoming/van life.
Our motorhome was new in August 2018. Well within the guarantee period of two years the sink top deteriorated to the state its in now (as in the photo), and it has to be fixed. The seller (whom we informed about the problem some months ago) is saying it's "our fault", a point there's no purpose in discussing here because the fact remains that it has to be fixed before it gets any worse.

Although, in the photo, the wooden surface doesn't look good (!), we do not believe it needs replacing (it is not rotten/damaged, just stained). The surface area affected, which will need replacing, is approximately 106 x 52 cm. Only this part of the top, here round the sink, including further forward, out of the photo, is in the state. The rest is intact but of course must also be replaced.

I have, then, two questions I'd like to ask here.

1. For the surface, what material would be best? We think the original was too thin; we want whatever is used for repair to last "for ever".

2. In fact we are in Germany but supposing we had this work done in the U.K., what might a "ballpark figure" for the total cost of materials and labour be? Or to put it another way, what might one expect the minimum and maximum cost to be?

Any other useful advice will be much appreciated. Thanks!
use THIS _DSC0386 CRP.jpg

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
Agree that the whole worktop will need to be replaced - any patch is always going to look like a patch! I can’t see how you could have caused this - the dealer is saying it’s your fault, perhaps he could explain how you could have caused the damage shown which, imho, seems to be a result of the top layer of the worktop breaking up, presumably because of some sort of manufacturing fault.

May be worth asking the dealer just why they believe it is your fault - what do they think you have been doing to cause such a dramatic breakup of the surface, a surface which is designed to take a lot of wear and tear over many years. I also wonder if any other owners of like dated models from this factory have similar issues? Is there an “owners club” for the make/model, or is it a custom conversion?

I would suggest you do the asking in writing, so you can establish and keep a paper trail, in case you need to recover costs via court action in the future!!

Good luck!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
popotla

popotla

Free Member
Jun 5, 2018
Germany
Funster No
MH
3.5t on Ford Ranger
Exp
Come to Germany! It's great for motorhoming/van life.
(JFD) May be worth asking the dealer just why they believe it is your fault - what do they think you have been doing to cause such a dramatic breakup of the surface, a surface which is designed to take a lot of wear and tear over many years.

There was a great deal of animosity between myself and this small German company. I was truly shocked by aspects of management attitudes and responses (or lack of the latter, so often) and told the Sales Director that in Britain he would be out of business within a day (which I believe to be true). Things had been so bad that I would have cancelled delivery and forfeited my substantial deposit but was told that I might then be sued for breach of agreement/cancellation.
After that, I arranged with the workshop manager to get the top replaced under guarantee, and had an appointment for this work. Then I was informed that the work would not be done under guarantee (said Sales Director had informed the workshop manager of this) and then they cancelled the appointment anyway. The reason given for it being our fault was that a surface such as this ''has to be properly wiped down'', something they assumed we hadn't done.

(JFD) Is there an “owners club” for the make/model, or is it a custom conversion?

There is some sort of Owners' Group on Facebook but I have not been involved and in any case have nothing to do with Facebook. It's not a custom conversion.

There is a lot of break-up of other surfaces. I already have photographs of this and will put them on here and ask for comment.

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
how old is the MH ?, looks like delaminating due to water ingress , the water has probably been seeping in from under the tap or the seal round the sink & for some time , being a plumber I’ve seen similar many times

Jul 4, 2013
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
IH 600RD
Exp
Since 2017
Reading your thread has certainly destroyed the myth that German converted vans are better than UK converted . That looks horrendous for a two year old van and the company should be ashamed of their work and how they have treated you . I notice you have not named the company but you certainly need to persue them through the courts if you do not get a satisfactory outcome. I cannot help but think you would have been better buying British .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you're not going to get it sorted under warranty I'd be inclined to remove all of the surface and then sand and seal/varnish it and leave it with the wood finish.

What make/model of MH have you got?

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Along with the delamination post you put up, I suspect your van has had some serious leaks around the sink area and has damp issues generally.
Can you advise what van it is please. Maybe someone who has this type of van can advise if they have had any similar issues.

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
Might be worth either joining Facebook, or asking someone who is already a member, to have a look at the Owners Group, to see if anyone else is suffering from this issue. That might give you some extra leverage to get them to fix it.

The type of damage you have should not be possible (IMHO) in two years, even if the tap were leaking regularly. Have you noticed any other damp issues? Is the cupboard under the sink wet? If this were caused by a leak, rather than faulty materials, you would, surely, have some evidence inside the cupboard/drawer under the sink.

Perhaps a ‘name and shame’ on t’internet might persuade them to re-assess their position??

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Is this related to the other thread you've started about condensation? Looks like the same problem.

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
You could get a chippie to stick a new layer of laminate on and trim it all with a router. If you remove all the sealant to the back and sides and its nice and square, you should get a really good finish once resealed

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Is this related to the other thread you've started about condensation? Looks like the same problem.
I was thinking the same myself? :unsure:. Surely if it IS the same problem...there is something seriously wrong with the truck!

Kev

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Where are you based at the moment? I would photograph and replace the worktop and if in Germany and can find owners of the same model with the same problem look at using the collective problem redress procedure , Its a long time since I used it but of you can find 3 more people with the same problem same age you stand a good chance of winning ( No idea for current situation but used in past)

Sep 12, 2014
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Transit coachbuilt
Exp
8years & counting
Poor quality tops or bad plumbing or both, certainly a manufacturers problem

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!