New Motorhome Advice Needed and some questions (1 Viewer)

Aido10

Free Member
Apr 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Hi everyone, first post tonight. Been reading from afar for a while now. Delighted to become a member.

I've read a lot of great and very helpful advice already and I just wanted to hopefully try to get some help for my own questions before I take the plunge and purchase my first motorhome!

We're are a family of 4 (2 young kids - 2 and 4 in July) and we're looking to change from a caravan to a motorhome. I've researched for months now and think we are settled on a 4 berth twin fixed beds at the back for the kids and the drop down over cabin bed for ourselves. I've also spent a lot of time looking at models/brands matching that layout/style (and used vs New) and we are swaying towards the Hymer Exsis-i 580 pure special edition. There's a 2022 model available now to order for delivery in around Feb/March/Aprtil time 2022 on the Fiat chassis, automatic and from what I understand similar in spec to the pure 2021 model, except it's automatic and Fiat, not citreon.

The things on my mind at the moment stopping me from taking the plunge are some concerns around the payload and then around the actual cost given it's my first motorhome.

In terms of payload, I've seen loads of posts and I know you need to take the van to the weigh bridge but should I be concerned with around a 480kg payload with 4 of us? I've done some crude calculations and I think we should have more than enough but I am nervous that I am missing something.

The second thing is around the cost - I am not overly concerned about buying new, I just want to ensure that I've explored other options in around that price range. Are there any opinions around twin bed layouts in the same price bracket that would be a better fit or maybe even a better van? I don't believe I've seen too may negatives about Hymers in general and I've been very impressed with the brochures, reviews, info etc on this model. Perhaps there are some members who have opinion on the 580?

Sorry for the long post everyone! Thanks for taking the time to read (if you have!) and for any advice you may share. Hopefully this is my first post of many over the next many many years!

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Not sure if you are being sarcastic and I’ve said something wrong. What should I be checking again?
No , nothing sarcastic at all, and you have in no way said anything wrong.
I am amazed if you have found a van with isofix fittings. If you have then I am very interested, as you may have gathered from our previous postings.
Having been, and still using occasional big child seats myself in our van with 8 yr old and 3 yr old grandsons, and trying to explain some of my own observations, I am curious as to what you have now found that ticks the boxes you seemed to be having some doubt over.
Dig out your original post with what you asked and perhaps revisit the comments made by others if you are still unsure.
If however you have found a van that does everything you want and need, and to your safety requirements, then I am actually very pleased for you.
But I just thought that from your initial and subsequent posts at the time, you had some serious thinking to do re layout and travelling with such young children.
Good luck anyway, and feel free to ask as many further questions as you may need.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Aido10

Free Member
Apr 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
No , nothing sarcastic at all, and you have in no way said anything wrong.
I am amazed if you have found a van with isofix fittings. If you have then I am very interested, as you may have gathered from our previous postings.
Having been, and still using occasional big child seats myself in our van with 8 yr old and 3 yr old grandsons, and trying to explain some of my own observations, I am curious as to what you have now found that ticks the boxes you seemed to be having some doubt over.
Dig out your original post with what you asked and perhaps revisit the comments made by others if you are still unsure.
If however you have found a van that does everything you want and need, and to your safety requirements, then I am actually very pleased for you.
But I just thought that from your initial and subsequent posts at the time, you had some serious thinking to do re layout and travelling with such young children.
Good luck anyway, and feel free to ask as many further questions as you may need.
Thanks, now I’m doubting myself 😂 I’ve been told by the dealer and I can see it in their brochure on extras that ISOs fittings are available as an extra cost for the two forward facing seat belted seats but I’ll 100% check the safety element. I’ll go back through the posts again. I may have missed some crucial points. I had found a motorhome with two drop down beds, end lounge, front lounge, heaps of payload and I thought two forward facing seats that could have iso fitted 🙈🙈 I’m new to this though and maybe again I’m missing some key things. I’ll go back through the posts!

Upvote 0

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
Thanks, now I’m doubting myself 😂 I’ve been told by the dealer and I can see it in their brochure on extras that ISOs fittings are available as an extra cost for the two forward facing seat belted seats but I’ll 100% check the safety element. I’ll go back through the posts again. I may have missed some crucial points. I had found a motorhome with two drop down beds, end lounge, front lounge, heaps of payload and I thought two forward facing seats that could have iso fitted 🙈🙈 I’m new to this though and maybe again I’m missing some key things. I’ll go back through the posts!
Sounds fabulous

Upvote 0

Tricuspid

Free Member
May 13, 2021
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630
Exp
Ex-caravanner, newbie to MH
It is rare to be able to get any dealer to carry out any form of warranty work on a Motorhome that they have not sold to you themselves and this has been found to be the case many times. (Despite what people have been told)
Although I have not had this problem as I have been able to buy locally, many people on here (and elsewhere) have had problems with this happening to them and I would suggest you need to look into this very carefully.
It seems to be the case, which I find very surprising really, I would have thought the manufacturers would want their dealers to provide better support to their customers - I can take my car to any Audi dealer and get pretty much the same service everywhere.

There is only one dealer anywhere near us, and they couldn't supply what we wanted until next year, so we have opted to buy remotely and take the chance. Having people in for servicing and warranty work who have bought from someone else seems like an excellent opportunity to impress and win over customers for the future, but if my local dealer doesn't want to help me because I've bought elsewhere (only because they couldn't supply) then I'm more likely to buy elsewhere next time and recommend others to do the same. It seems like a very short-sighted business model, but maybe the reality is that people hang on to motorhomes long term so repeat business isn't really a factor in the same way that it is for cars.

Upvote 0

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
It is a poor show isn’t it? I want to replace my car. I keep mine for several years but this electric/petrol/diesel debacle has made me keep my 08 car much longer as I don’t want to make an expensive mistake

Upvote 0

John H.

Free Member
Apr 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
A long time
Hi Aldo10,

I can see why your wife has fallen in love with the Hymer. They are brilliant motorhomes.

But, my contribution to your discussions is that I think the model you have chosen will not be the best for a very young family.

Most of my reasons have already been given.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
First MH with small children I wouldn’t buy new!
Hire to start with and watch the used market, you’ll save some money and heartache.
In two years I reckon the market will be flooded because people going abroad again won’t be getting enough use out of them. Only the committed will keep such an expensive vehicle

Upvote 0

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
Yes, think the used market will be very healthy as soon as people can fly abroad for hols an all the package deals come back.
Yes absolutely

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Aido10

Free Member
Apr 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Thanks all for the advice on waiting for a used van. I'm keeping that in mind but I am also looking at new. I'm not overly concerned around buying new. I know we will love the van and keep it for 5-10 years minimum. In my earlier post I was saying that I was struggling to get the dealer to move on listed price. If that's still the case, does anyone have any experience of the type of accessories/extras I should try to get added to close the deal? I am still happy to walk away, I'm not absolutely having to buy as I have a caravan readily available for this summer. I was thinking, bike rack, roof air con, maybe a tv and a service pack for 3 years as part of the deal which would save around 4-5k of quoted prices. Van has a lot of extras in specification already.

I am terrible at negotiating, never been skilled with that but I like to try! Do other van owners think paying the listed price and adding accessories into that is achievable with the demand vs supply of this model? I don't want to push too hard but then I also don't want to have a feeling like I could have got more as part of the deal?

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
It says it already comes with air con in the spec of the current model (the one based on the Citreon). I'd be asking for refillable bottles, solar panel & extra battery. The biggest problem with extras is the weight which has to come off the payload which to be honest isn't very much for a family of 4, including 2 young children who will probably want bikes & toys as well as clothes!

Personally I would be waiting another year or two for a second hand model once people can get back to flying abroad again. I'm sure lots of people who have bought recently will decide it's not for them!

Upvote 0

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
In terms of payload, I've seen loads of posts and I know you need to take the van to the weigh bridge but should I be concerned with around a 480kg payload with 4 of us? I've done some crude calculations and I think we should have more than enough but I am nervous that I am missing something.
Do you know what was included in the empty weight. Some include a notional 75Kg driver. Important to find out as the weight of two adults and two children will quickly eat into that 480Kg payload. Remember 10 litres of water, or two gallons, weighs 10Kg.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Aido10

Free Member
Apr 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
It's not the van I originally mentioned. It's a Burstner with in around 1000 pay load. It’s upgraded weight-4250. It comes with cab air conditioning, not roof air con.

Noted the used conundrum again. That's something I have to consider.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Aido10

Free Member
Apr 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Do you know what was included in the empty weight. Some include a notional 75Kg driver. Important to find out as the weight of two adults and two children will quickly eat into that 480Kg payload. Remember 10 litres of water, or two gallons, weighs 10Kg.
I’ve taken that all onboard now and have looked at vans >3500. Payload is roughly 960, I know that will need to be checked properly via a weigh bridge

Upvote 0
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Thanks all for the advice on waiting for a used van. I'm keeping that in mind but I am also looking at new. I'm not overly concerned around buying new. I know we will love the van and keep it for 5-10 years minimum. In my earlier post I was saying that I was struggling to get the dealer to move on listed price. If that's still the case, does anyone have any experience of the type of accessories/extras I should try to get added to close the deal? I am still happy to walk away, I'm not absolutely having to buy as I have a caravan readily available for this summer. I was thinking, bike rack, roof air con, maybe a tv and a service pack for 3 years as part of the deal which would save around 4-5k of quoted prices. Van has a lot of extras in specification already.

I am terrible at negotiating, never been skilled with that but I like to try! Do other van owners think paying the listed price and adding accessories into that is achievable with the demand vs supply of this model? I don't want to push too hard but then I also don't want to have a feeling like I could have got more as part of the deal?
Firstly, would you mind sharing what van you are looking at? I'm amazed that a van would have dual drop-downs and still give a decent payload. We're also looking for a new van and the only ones we've seen with this type of configuration have around 350kg left, which is just tiny. You're in a difficult position with buying right now as demand is outstripping supply and quite simply, dealers know they don't really need to do much haggling as if you don't buy it someone else very probably will. I would always take an awning over roof mounted air-con. The aircon you can only use whilst hooked up to shore power and even then if the site has 6A you'll be hard pushed to use it without tripping the supply. I would also think a bike rack would be essential with the kids. Service pack would be nice as it saves money ongoing for the annual hab service you will need to keep the habitation warranty intact. Please do share the van though as it sounds an interesting proposition for us!!

Edit - saw that you just put the van and its a 4250kg model.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Aido10

Free Member
Apr 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
It’s a burstner 744, there’s also a 745 with drop down island. We prefer the 744 with l shape lounge. Gives plenty of space but small garages probably main negative.

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Sorry I must have missed where you said you were now looking at the Burstner 744 - my response was to your original choice of Hymer Exsis. However I still wouldn't bother with roof air con, as RubyOptics said above, you can only use it if you are on EHU. I would still stay refillable gas, extra batteries and solar would be good options. We hardly ever bother with EHU, unless it's included when we stay on sites. More often than not we use rallies and temporary holiday sites in the UK and aires in France.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Aido10

Free Member
Apr 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
That’s great advice! Thank you

awning , solar panels already included. So might look at service pack, gas, extra battery and bike rack given the garage is on the small side

Upvote 0
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
That’s great advice! Thank you

awning , solar panels already included. So might look at service pack, gas, extra battery and bike rack given the garage is on the small side
Have you rented a van at all? I really would strongly suggest this if this is going to be your first van. We rented what we thought was our ideal layout before buying and it turned out to be completely unsuitable in ways we simply hadn't thought of. I know it isn't cheap but it could end up saving you a fortune in the long run.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Most new motorhomes are being fitted with isofix as standard or it's being offered as a cost option.
Well, that is then, very good news from a safety angle for travelling with child restraining safety seats.
I am indebted to you for your sharing of information, as I am sure will be countless other Motorhome enthusiasts.
Thank You.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Does this van have 2 drop down double beds, one over the rear lounge and one in the middle of the van?
If so, I take it the toilet is situated between each of these beds in order to give ease of access to each set of beds independently?
It looks a very nice van, but something else you may wish to consider.
You said that your children are 2 and 4 years old and that you would like to keep the van for 5 to 10 years.
At 5 years they will be 7 and 9 years and probably ok together in the same bed, size wise.
Will that be the same at 10 years at 12 and 14?
Or would you split them up to 1 with each adult in separate beds, or are there facilities to make alternative beds without using one of the drop downs?
Just a thought as I know when my 2 grandsons at 3 and 7 come with us, we already split them up into one with me in the overcab and the youngest at ground level on the pull out double with my wife, and they both like to sleep as if they are starfish and move about a lot in bed!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Aido10

Free Member
Apr 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
That's some very good advice and something I've been trying to think through. At the moment we usually take one each when we are in the caravan but it is a bit like musical beds depending on how the boys are sleeping. I was thinking it'll be the same for the first year or two with motorhome and then hopefully they go in together so we have the rear lounge and drop down bed (it's over the lounge) bathroom can still be accessed from both sides. The end lounge can also be closed over to give us some space when boys are older. There's also facilities to make a 5th bed but it's single. But it might help when they are older. In reality, by the time they are 12 and 14, we'll have moved on from this motorhome I would say. If we get 5-10 years enjoyment, family fun and memories from it, I'll be a happy man

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I m in the not too fussed about air con in the habitation as well.
Solar, extra battery and a gas system fitted is where I would start, once he/she doesnt agree to that tell him/her that youll pay for the gas system at cost but want the BBQ point as well and he/she can throw in the battery and solar to save you buying it at the other dealer (he/she will know if that is plausible or not so dont blag too much). Once he/she has agreed to that get some toilet fluid off him/her. Its a sellers market atm so anything is a plus.

Good luck with explaining to the wife if it doesnt go through as well as she has it going through in her head.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back