New member’s Odyssey round France (plus a bit) (1 Viewer)

Apr 30, 2024
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Conversion
Being fairly new to motorhoming, recently joined here, and thought I’d share my experiences, and get some feedback.
Firstly membership cards and site finders. I’m a veteran member of the Camping and Caravanning Club, from back in the day when we took the kids tenting. It used to be useful for the Tunnel discount, which seems to have gone the way of all flesh. Next, the ACSI card: when faced with the tyranny of choice in France, it’s been a great planning tool. 8 points and above seems to be a good start. The French think the Dutch have short arms, so it’s a good guide to cheap sites.
Next, the new ones. France Passion: paid €33 for the card, attracted by the idea of staying with small producers. Stayed on a cider farm earlier this week; it was lovely apart from a discussion with the beekeepers, which I didn’t follow, apart from ‘abeille’ and ‘dangerous pour vous’. He seemed satisfied when I said I’d keep the door shut for a bit. Also cost a small fortune in Calvados, but that’s how it goes.
CampingCar Card. Spotted this one quite soon be fore setting off, but they were efficient with the postage. Many municipals seem to have gone card operated, I guess because of labour laws pushing costs up. I’ve put a few euros on more as a backup, I think. They look slightly more safe than open aires and lay-bys.
Sitefinders: Search4Sites seems to be good at aggregating info from other sources, and I’ve started using this as a planning tool. I know there are others: Pitchup seems to have been around a while, and ?Park for the night has its fans. Oh, and I’ve got my own Google map of sites that have caught my eye over the years. No more fun in winter than a road atlas, a camping guide, and an iPad! The journeys of the imagination.
This has gone on far longer than I thought - my apologies. Will try to keep them more succinct.

OP
OP
julianbryant
Apr 30, 2024
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Conversion
Ten days later!
I’ve mentioned the cider far; the Calvados has been doled out as gifts, and duly sampled. From there I went to the Municipal in Nantes, which was already booked up. Public holiday weekend; they did send me to another, just outside the outer ring road, and next to the Loire. This was the Belle Rivière, although they seem to be trying a rebrand as the Loire Pause. Not ACSI, but they gave me 15% discount for C&CC carnet.
I’d already bought the Nantes Pass, which give free access to public transport, and to many attractions. Interesting walk, bus and tram trip to the centre following campsite instructions. Then to the Machines de l’Île, a must see. I eventually found the tourist office, opposite the castle, and got a great book showing all the public art in the city, and there’s a lot. By this time I was walked out.
Stayed with friends in the Charente Maritime, then over the border to Camping Orio, and a day trip to San Sebastián/Donostia. More friends in Asturias, then a stunning drive through the Picos, down to just past Burgos, the camping de monument de Pastor, next to the giant statue of a shepherd, carved in 1961. Tomorrow the Somport Tunnel, and back to France.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back