New Forest Campsites (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
Hi, has anyone been to Setthorns in the New forest? Thinking of booking an XL pitch with EHU

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Nice site in a nice area, over a disused railway line that you can walk or cycle a couple of miles on. The Pine Tops area now has some permanently pitched caravans looks like a shanty town but that's only one area of the site. Mobile phone signals almost non exsistant you have to walk up to reception to get a signal.

You might want to check they are opening this year, last year due to Covid they closed all of the Forestry Commission sites in the New Forest for all of the year.

OP
OP
Catpirate
Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
Thank you for your reply. They are taking bookings for July which is when I want to go

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Great site. Not much to add to Lenny HB post above. Always our go to site for the Xmas break; save last year. The pitches get very dirty when wet, but July should be fine. Are you sure you need XL as most pitches are a good size. We use our MiFi unit with roof aerial to get signal as phone reception is poor.

OP
OP
Catpirate
Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
Hi thanks for reply, my MOHO is 8.2m long, so need a bigger pitch only XL and select were available for my dates so chose XL (have booked now). I also have MIFI so hopefully will get some signal.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
A lot of the Sethorns site is wooded, nice for shade if it's a bit too hot, but would interfere with solar power (not an issue if you have EHU). As it's set in woodland, most pitches are well spaced and have some separation from neighbours. There won't be larger areas if you have kids who want to punt a ball around. As the site has no toilet / shower, most punters will be motorhomes or tuggers. As with many of the Camping in Forest (CiTF) sites a number of pitches are seasonal and can be a bit neglected. The tracks around the site are gravel and can get muddy in the wet. The motorhome service point is a pain to use, at the bottom of a hollow so muddy spot and trying to maneuver your van over the small (less than 2' diameter) grey waste cover is interesting.

The site is split either side of the old rail track, which is now a very popular cycle track / footpath / bridleway. It's a fair distance along that to Brockenhurst or Burley. But Sway is closer (excellent butcher for your BBQ stuff) via footpaths / cycle tracks run through the southern half of the site (so random people will walk through the campsite - happens on most of the CiTF sites). Northern side of the site is open to the forest animals, and I have seen deer, but southern side is enclosed. Weight limit on the bridge to the southern side, but heavy vehicles can use a crossing to the old rail track.

Sethorns is normally the all year round site for CiTF in the New Forest, I've enjoyed it a few times Autumn / Spring for a 2-3 day break. Summer I'll be looking at their other limited facility sites, particularly Aldridge Hill. This assumes they do actually open this year. Right until the 4th July 2020 their website was taking bookings, and then they pulled the plug so I haven't got a lot of trust.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
You might want to check they are opening this year, last year due to Covid they closed all of the Forestry Commission sites in the New Forest for all of the year.
Their website says they will open from April 2021.
7FEE8794-1F3F-489C-A313-09811896784B.png

It looks like they intend to open them this year but whether they will still be locked down is another matter.

OP
OP
Catpirate
Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
Yes, Have booked for July, if it is cancelled (by them) I get a full refund so worth the chance.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back