New Fiat Ducato warranty query (1 Viewer)

Nosmo King

Free Member
Jul 17, 2018
Funster No
Can someone clarify a warranty query for me please?

Brand new camper, supplied on a Fiat Ducato base vehicle.
Fiat offer a standard 2 year warranty – chassis / engine etc

There’s also a mention of a 3rd year retailer warranty:
https://www.fiatprofessional.com/uk/mopar/warranty

With our WARRANTY, you have a comprehensive service with the repair or replacement of the defective part, its labour time and the supply of the necessary consumables for 24 months, with a further 12 months retailer Warranty, starting from date of vehicle registration.

Then there’s the option of a campervan warranty – extends the standard Fiat warranty by another 3 years – with a limit on mileage:
http://www.mopar.eu/camper/en/mopar-vehicle-protection/extended-warranties

This costs about £900 I think.

The campervan warranty is fairly clear. What’s the retailer warranty?

Whether or not it’s good value, I’m not so sure. Makes resale a little easier I should imagine.

Thanks

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Download the fiat camper app and register your van and if your not sure contact them I have in the past and they were very helpful.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
This from North East Truck and Van who are a Fiat Professional outlet.

FIAT Professional Servicing

When you buy a Fiat Professional vehicle, you immediately benefit from a service designed to ensure safer travelling and keep unforeseen expenses at bay.

VEHICLE WARRANTY
The purchase price of your new Fiat Professional vehicle includes a 24 month Pan European Warranty that starts from the first date of registration and has no mileage limits..

The Warranty ensures coverage for your vehicle against manufacturing defects, which will be resolved free of charge using original or reconditioned parts.

Operations under Warranty are carried out by Fiat Service Centres and include:

• REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT OF THE FAULTY COMPONENT
  • MANPOWER NEEDED FOR THE REPLACEMENT OR REPAIR
  • SUPPLY OF CONSUMABLE MATERIALS NEEDED TO CARRY OUT THE REPAIR UNDER
WARRANTY
For the duration of the vehicle Warranty, you also have the benefit of 36 months roadside assistance.

In addition to the standard manufacturers 24 month warranty UK customers also benefit from a further

12 month dealer warranty third-year dealer warranty enjoys the same level of cover as the two year

warranty. Mileage limitations apply, 120,000 miles for panel vans and 60,000 for private hire.

Motorhome vehicles have no 3rd year warranty.

OP
OP
Nosmo King

Nosmo King

Free Member
Jul 17, 2018
Funster No
Gellyneck - that's clear. Thanks.
Thanks everyone else for your input.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Unless you have a PVC converted from a UK spec vehicle supplied through the Fiat UK dealer network, which will have the 3rd year warranty (y)
Certainly our motorhome (2013) had the additional 3rd year warranty covered by Fiat Professional on it but I was of the understanding that this "option" went a year or so ago to be replaced by an additional add-on warranty of three years from the converter at a cost of around £900 but may be (knowing me, probably be) wrong!:doh:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I've always understood 2 years warranty, or 3 years, is determined by where the van is converted/produced.

If European, then 2 years, but British conversion = 3 years.

Our French Rapido is 2 years, and likewise our previous French-built Chausson was also 2 years.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nosmo King

Nosmo King

Free Member
Jul 17, 2018
Funster No
Hmmm. How can I find out for sure. Not sure the dealer will know...

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Check your vehicle on my.fiatcamper.com as I mentioned. But what I and @mikebeaches said is correct. If your base vehicle was built to UK spec and supplied through the UK dealer network, it will have the 3rd year dealer backed warranty. If it originated elsewhere, it will only have the 2 year warranty. The extra care warranty is different and was originally only available through the Fiat dealer network, but Fiat now allow motorhome converters to register to resell it to customers through their technical portal.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
@Deneb @mikebeaches

Not clear on the brand \ model of the OP's new motorhome but this is Autotrail warranty terms on their new models (https://www.auto-trail.co.uk/warranty-and-roadside) -
Fiat provides a manufacturer's warranty for the base vehicle of your motorhome, which is a Fiat camper assist. Fiat’s base vehicle warranty is for 2 years from date of registration of the motorhome and can be extended for a further 3 years at the point of purchase.
Your local Auto-Trail dealer can advise you about the cost of this warranty extension. If the extension cover is taken out then this takes Fiat’s warranty cover for the base vehicle up to 5 years or 30,000 miles (whichever is the first to expire). For more information view our terms and conditions page.

@thewheelbarrow
From the Fiat Professional warranty webpage -
http://www.mopar.eu/camper/en/warranty-servicing

The Fiat Warranty covers the entire range of bases (Ducato and Talento) for Fiat Professional recreational vehicles starting from the date of first registration.

The Contractual Warranty is activated in the event that your Fiat Professional-based Motorhome should present any problem attributable to a material or manufacturing defect during the period in which this Warranty is valid:

● call the Operations Centre dedicated to Motorhome customers if you need Roadside Assistance. It will provide you with information and all the necessary assistance 24 hours a day, 7 days a week;
● if your vehicle is in working condition, you can take it to the workshop of the Fiat Professional Service Network which normally serves you, or to any dealership of the Service Network authorised to provide Fiat Professional Service;
● the Motorhome will be returned to you once it is repaired, in perfect condition and totally free of charge for the service covered by the warranty;
● show the Registration Document to all dealerships that assist you, and/or the Warranty Certificate which obliges Fiat Professional to provide assistance free of charge in accordance with the specified procedures.
Your Fiat Professional-based motorhome warranty offers:
● Warranty on the Fiat base (24 months).
● Warranty specifically relating to Paintwork on the base (36 months).
● Warranty specifically relating to Perforating Corrosion on the base (8 years).

From the Fiat Professional extended warranty webpage -
http://www.mopar.eu/camper/en/mopar-vehicle-protection/extended-warranties

Maximum Care Camper Warranty, just like your 2 years Factory Warranty, guarantees complete cover for the mechanical and electrical components of your Fiat Motorhome and provides you all its linked services.
It’s available for both Ducato and Talento and extends your Fiat Camper Assistance and dedicated Roadside Assistance to the same year and mileage term.

Maximum Care Camper gives you the possibility of extending your new Fiat Motorhome warranty up to 5 years, with various term and mileage options available according to your requirements and driving style.

AVALABILITY:
Available on Ducato & Talento Motorhomes
Valid at any Fiat Professional garage across the UK for camper vans registered in the UK.

CONDITIONS OF SUBSCRIPTION:
UK - 15 days from Date of Vehicle Registration.

Given the difference of opinion on the subject (and I'm not saying others are wrong) I guess you'll only be able to get a definitive answer from your supplying dealer or vehicle converter.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
@Gellyneck

What you quote is correct for the 2 year manufacturers warranty.

Ducato campervan chassis and back to back cabs are supplied in bulk from the factory in Italy directly to motorhome constructors under their individual contractual arrangements, and come with the 2 year manufacturers warranty. I don't know for sure what the position is with PVCs produced by the likes of Autotrail and Swift, but I would imagine they are also supplied through a similar channel with advantageous pricing under bulk purchasing arrangements.

Motorhome manufacturers who are part of the scheme can be seen here under the "Motorhome Manufacturers" tab at the bottom of the page:

https://www.fiatcamper.com/en/product/perfect-layout

Smaller UK PVC converters buy standard vans either individually or in smaller orders through the UK dealer network. As such, the vehicles benefit from the UK dealer backed warranty described here:

https://www.fiatprofessional.com/uk/mopar/warranty

Quote: "With our WARRANTY, you have a comprehensive service with the repair or replacement of the defective part, its labour time and the supply of the necessary consumables for 24 months, with a further 12 months retailer Warranty, starting from date of vehicle registration."

and also described on page 9 of the Warranty Book issued by Fiat Chrysler UK Ltd and supplied with vehicles sourced through the UK dealer network.

UK warranty.JPG

So, as I said, if your vehicle was supplied and registered through the Fiat UK dealer network, it will have an additional 3rd year dealer backed warranty.

If it wasn't, it will only have the manufacturers 2 year warranty as standard. Effectively, all coachbuilt motorhomes even from UK motorhome manufacturers will fall into the latter category, since they were not ordered through the UK dealer network. PVCs from those manufacturers may also be subject to the same arrangement unless sourced through the UK dealer network.

The Maximum Care Camper extended warranty is a completely different additional warranty which can be added in either case, but at additional cost to the customer. It was originally only able to be purchased through the Fiat Professional dealer network, but motorhome builders can now register to resell it directly to their customers through the Fiat technical portal (and take their own cut of the profit).

Edit: Just to add that AutoTrail making no mention of the retail warranty does not necessarily mean a thing. Since becoming authorised resellers of the Maximum Camper Care warranty Vantage make no mention of it on their website either, but then there is no reseller profit in the dealer backed warranty either ;)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
@Deneb
Your detailed explanation is clear(y) and the warranty conditions noted by yourself reflect what appears in our motorhome documentation however, and as noted by myself and alluded to by yourself, a definitive answer can only come from the dealer \ converter as they will be the only entities who will know the warranty terms provided as part of their offer.(y)

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Certainly our motorhome (2013) had the additional 3rd year warranty covered by Fiat Professional on it but I was of the understanding that this "option" went a year or so ago to be replaced by an additional add-on warranty of three years from the converter at a cost of around £900 but may be (knowing me, probably be) wrong!:doh:
When we bought our first Moho in 2015, it had a 3 year warranty on the Fiat side. as you say, that has changed. I now have th extended warranty with Fiat/Mopar on the new van.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Check your vehicle on my.fiatcamper.com as I mentioned. But what I and @mikebeaches said is correct. If your base vehicle was built to UK spec and supplied through the UK dealer network, it will have the 3rd year dealer backed warranty. If it originated elsewhere, it will only have the 2 year warranty. The extra care warranty is different and was originally only available through the Fiat dealer network, but Fiat now allow motorhome converters to register to resell it to customers through their technical portal.

Very interesting stuff @Deneb (y)

A quick question if I may: We'll be collecting our new German PVC, (Fiat based with a 2-year warranty), in 10-days time so do you know if I can buy the 'Maximum Care Camper Extended Warranty' to take the cover to 5-years.

I've just read the following insert from the Fiat web page and the only stipulation seems to be that the van is registered in the UK.

TIA,

Andrew

AVALABILITY:
Available on Ducato & Talento Motorhomes

Valid at any Fiat Professional garage across the UK for camper vans registered in the UK.

CONDITIONS OF SUBSCRIPTION:
UK - 15 days from Date of Vehicle Registration.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Very interesting stuff @Deneb (y)

A quick question if I may: We'll be collecting our new German PVC, (Fiat based with a 2-year warranty), in 10-days time so do you know if I can buy the 'Maximum Care Camper Extended Warranty' to take the cover to 5-years.

I'd start by asking your MH dealer if they resell the warranties. If not, ask your Fiat Pro dealer. If you've already got, or can get the VIN of your new van from the supplier, no reason why you can't start asking now.

OP
OP
Nosmo King

Nosmo King

Free Member
Jul 17, 2018
Funster No
Deneb - I suspect that Benimar Benivans (built at the Autotrail plant in Grimmsby) will be part of the bulk supply from Fiat Italy and as such won't be covered by the additional warranty?

VIN this weekend.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I'd start by asking your MH dealer if they resell the warranties. If not, ask your Fiat Pro dealer. If you've already got, or can get the VIN of your new van from the supplier, no reason why you can't start asking now.

Top advice, many thanks. I now have my VIN so I'll make a few phone calls.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Yep, the dealer can supply the extended warranty for my German PVC so I should have a price on Monday (The warranty guy is on holiday).

Nov 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm involved with this topic at the moment as I want to get the extended Fiat warranty which for 3 years (on top of the manufacturers 2 years) will set you back £867.00.
This also extends the Pan Euro Breakdown.
I had a very nice lady from Fiat's Camper Care section ring me to make sure what to do as the window for taking up the offer is very onerous and I think could easily get missed.
My name is registered with Fiat and the next step is to get the VIN No of my van ( I'm a few months from build yet) and advise Fiat at Italy and my nearest Fiat pro dealer.
This will make sure I'm in the system and ready for the next requirement which is the one which could be a challenge.
The 14 day window to get the warranty sorted is from the day the vehicle is registered with DVLA.
You will need the details on page 2 of the V5c and be standing in front of your Fiat Pro dealer with the readies or plastic to do the payment.
Consider all the things that can frustrate the post being one of them.
I am sure an earlier post emphasizes there is not two shots at this you either comply with the 14 day aspect and get your warranty or fail.
I believe the reason is that beyond that period the transaction is considered of an insurance nature and Fiat are not authorized to carry out insurance activity.
Now, poor hearing, Italian accents and general fuzziness may mean aspects of the above a'int 100% but the main thrust is watch out if you want to take advantage of what I feel is a very reassuring add on to our motorhome experience.
Incidentally honing in on the deal is realy difficult, Fiat website wont let you navigate without Vin No and reg no of your vehicle, so whilst you can find some product overview you cant get costs.
It was a Fiat web page enquiry that I made that got me in touch with their Camper Care people.
Hope this helps.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back