New electrical conversion kit for Bromptons (Boost) (1 Viewer)

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
It looks interesting. Leaving the carry block and handlebars free is a massive gain over the Brompton official version and Swytch kit. It'll fold without the faff too.

But it loses the Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub. Maybe that doesn't matter as much of you've got a motor to assist? Will it work with the new 4 speed derailleur?

Also, how does it work without a external cadence or strain sensor? Can it sense load through the sprockets? If so, I've not seen that done before. It might be really smart, but it could also be really clunky.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I assume only the derailleur continues to be operable, assuming your bike has one.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I assume only the derailleur continues to be operable, assuming your bike has one.
If it fits the P-Line 4 speed, I'd be ok I think.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
It looks interesting. Leaving the carry block and handlebars free is a massive gain over the Brompton official version and Swytch kit. It'll fold without the faff too.

But it loses the Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub. Maybe that doesn't matter as much of you've got a motor to assist? Will it work with the new 4 speed derailleur?

Also, how does it work without a external cadence or strain sensor? Can it sense load through the sprockets? If so, I've not seen that done before. It might be really smart, but it could also be really clunky.
Most after market kits use a ring of magnets on the crank with a small sensor. As you pedal it detects the rotation and starts up the power, comes in smoothly with no jerking. A thumb throttle will take you up to a walking pace which makes pulling away easier or pushing the bike up steep hills. We have converted two bikes using the Yose Power kits. Where to put the battery is always a conundrum, on the down tube will not fit with a ladies bike. In a special two layer bike rack which moves the weight high and to the rear, then the sidestand does not work so well.

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Haven't quite got to the point where I need electric assistance on the Brompton but can see it being practical when I get to that point. 2.5kg is impressive and 30km range would be fine for how I would use it with the van.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back