Free Member
Sep 6, 2016
Dartmoor
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano i684g
Exp
From 2005 -2011 and 2018 -
We have 2 Labradors an 10 year old and a 7 year old. The 10 yr old (Merryn) has motorhomed all over the UK and Europe. We have been without a motorhome for 5 years but have recently bought a new one. Merryn is petrified of it. We have been away for the weekend and she would not relax. We have done shorter days out and she spends all the time huffing and panting. She is sitting (will not lie down) on her bed under the table when we travel. (Where she always used to travel) we will persevere with the short trips which always end in a nice walk. Any other suggestions?

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Is the motorhome cool enough when you’re travelling? we also have 2 Labs, one is 8 and the other 6, the 8 year old has recently started doing exactly the same as yours, he’ll spend most of the journey fidgeting around and sitting up, he never used to do this, the other will crash out and we hear a peep from her. We have recently bought one of the endless breeze fans that we put between the seats facing backwards whilst we travel and it has succeeded in keeping the van cooler particularly these last couple of weeks. Personally I think with ours it’s just an age thing, he suffers with arthritis which he has medication for but I think because he can’t move around much he gets a little stiff and uncomfortable

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Treat your puppy to one of these. Amazon product ASIN B0050NKR1O Other suppliers are available. Our old dog is sixteen years old and he is finding the heat at home a struggle and we are off to Croatia next week, which we hope will be as warm as at home. This coat cools him without making him wet and smell of wet dog.

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
I always spend quite a bit of time acclimatising my dog to new vehicles.

Start by putting some fave toys in there, and hide a few treats around the place too, makes it an interesting place to be! My dog sleeps on an old towel (rather than a bed) so I always put one of her towels on the floor in there too, familiar smells.

I start by taking her out to the van while I'm pottering around inside, so she gets used to the van itself. We don't go anywhere, we just tidy up or fiddle with cupboard doors, little DIY jobs or something.

Then I'll spend more time doing the same, but this time I'll start the engine and leave it on for ten minutes, without driving anywhere. I'll run some taps so the pump makes a noise, or I'll play with the air suspension for more unusual noises. Fire up the heater to get some other smells going, all that kinda stuff.

Next up, a very short drive. And I mean very short. I'll either just do a three point turn, or I'll drive to the bottom of the road and back. The van makes very different noises when moving, after all.

Once we've done a few of those, we'll then go round the block. Just a short ride, maybe ten or fifteen minutes.

After some of those short rides, we'll then gradually extend it to half an hour. Some time later we'll then increase it to one hour. Usually taking her to places she knows, like the local park or something.

Only after a few of those one hour drives do we then venture out of her comfort zone, in to areas she's not been before.

After those, we then drive two or three junctions down the motorway, then come back home again.

All this happens over the period of a month or two. It all happens very casuallly to. I make no announcements, no fuss etc. It's everyday life don't forget.

The end result being a very chilled out dog, regardless of the road type, time of day, location, etc.

You'll need some patience for this though (y)

OP
OP
MotorhomeMart

MotorhomeMart

Free Member
Sep 6, 2016
Dartmoor
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano i684g
Exp
I always spend quite a bit of time acclimatising my dog to new vehicles.

Start by putting some fave toys in there, and hide a few treats around the place too, makes it an interesting place to be! My dog sleeps on an old towel (rather than a bed) so I always put one of her towels on the floor in there too, familiar smells.

I start by taking her out to the van while I'm pottering around inside, so she gets used to the van itself. We don't go anywhere, we just tidy up or fiddle with cupboard doors, little DIY jobs or something.

Then I'll spend more time doing the same, but this time I'll start the engine and leave it on for ten minutes, without driving anywhere. I'll run some taps so the pump makes a noise, or I'll play with the air suspension for more unusual noises. Fire up the heater to get some other smells going, all that kinda stuff.

Next up, a very short drive. And I mean very short. I'll either just do a three point turn, or I'll drive to the bottom of the road and back. The van makes very different noises when moving, after all.

Once we've done a few of those, we'll then go round the block. Just a short ride, maybe ten or fifteen minutes.

After some of those short rides, we'll then gradually extend it to half an hour. Some time later we'll then increase it to one hour. Usually taking her to places she knows, like the local park or something.

Only after a few of those one hour drives do we then venture out of her comfort zone, in to areas she's not been before.

After those, we then drive two or three junctions down the motorway, then come back home again.

All this happens over the period of a month or two. It all happens very casuallly to. I make no announcements, no fuss etc. It's everyday life don't forget.

The end result being a very chilled out dog, regardless of the road type, time of day, location, etc.

You'll need some patience for this though (y)
Than you Roger; you have just affirmed everything which I think we knew. I think we we so excited about our new motorhome and because Merryn used to really enjoy our old one; we just assumed that she would be happy in the Burstner without doing all the familiarisation stuff first. Many thanks.

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Our rescue Border not happy travelling in the motor home. She is very noise sensitive so think the rattling is the problem. She's a bit happier in the car so seriously thinking of going back to tugging.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our rescue Border not happy travelling in the motor home. She is very noise sensitive so think the rattling is the problem. She's a bit happier in the car so seriously thinking of going back to tugging.

Seems a bit extreme to me, unless you yourselves want to change back. Why not try a few of the de-sensitizing ideas first? Can't offer any suggestions myself as our Westie loves motorhoming.

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Seems a bit extreme to me, unless you yourselves want to change back. Why not try a few of the de-sensitizing ideas first? Can't offer any suggestions myself as our Westie loves motorhoming.

Have been toying with the idea of an Eriba. We did try DAP spray, didn't help. Next step advice from vet.

OP
OP
MotorhomeMart

MotorhomeMart

Free Member
Sep 6, 2016
Dartmoor
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano i684g
Exp
So we went back to basics today. Took both dogs in to the Burstner, did not drive anywhere. Had some biscuits, dogs not me, hid them all over the motorhome and they had a good explore. Then we came out. A very positive experience all round. Thank you @RogerThat. Tomorrow we will do the same. Sunday we will have a short drive and a lovely walk.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back