NEC saved me a lot of money

1ten

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
We went to the NEC this weekend to have a look at a particular couple of vans with the view to possibly changing next year. We also had a few that we wanted to look at knowing we would probably discount them from the list but have a look anyway.
We had a really good look at the two we were seriously considering and decided that we prefer our current van and wouldn’t gain anything by changing, looks like I just saved myself a possible £30k spend!
What I did notice was some of the vans that were on the possible list had some pretty poor build quality and strange details.
Looks like we will be sticking with our Globecar for the foreseeable future. Once we retire (sadly a few years off yet) and and get to spend a lot more weeks away at a time we may have a rethink.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We went to the NEC this weekend to have a look at a particular couple of vans with the view to possibly changing next year. We also had a few that we wanted to look at knowing we would probably discount them from the list but have a look anyway.
We had a really good look at the two we were seriously considering and decided that we prefer our current van and wouldn’t gain anything by changing, looks like I just saved myself a possible £30k spend!
What I did notice was some of the vans that were on the possible list had some pretty poor build quality and strange details.
Looks like we will be sticking with our Globecar for the foreseeable future. Once we retire (sadly a few years off yet) and and get to spend a lot more weeks away at a time we may have a rethink.
One thing to consider is that by NOT spending £30k would that allow you to retire earlier? :unsure:

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
Agree with you about the build quality of some of the vans. We went more for a day out, as currently we have a van comming shortly from Consort (it’s on the build line as we type), and was quite honestly a little shocked at the standard of fit and finish on some of the vans, some of which from the bigger producers.
If nothing else, It has certainly re-inforced our decision to go with Consort earlier in the year.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Had a look at the Swift Kon-tiki and thought it looked like a nice van, the interior was nice especially the seating as it was probably one of the most comfortable seating I’ve sat in😁😁
As you have a Morelo me thinks that's a wind up. :rofl::rofl: :rofl:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
As you have a Morelo me thinks that's a wind up. :rofl::rofl: :rofl:
Not at all Lenny, can’t really compare the 2 as obviously nearly 3 times the cost, after all the quotes about how bad Swift are I thought I would have a look and was suprised at how nice they seem.
Obviously cannot comment on the build but I would take their upholstery comfort over my Morelo 😁😁

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Summit Prime 640
Exp
Since 2014
Half the vans we have on our shortlist just weren't there! The number of times dealers said to us "we've been promised one in June next but we're taking that with a pinch of salt" was staggering.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
Not at all Lenny, can’t really compare the 2 as obviously nearly 3 times the cost, after all the quotes about how bad Swift are I thought I would have a look and was suprised at how nice they seem.
Obviously cannot comment on the build but I would take their upholstery comfort over my Morelo 😁😁
I have been saying for years that very often the cheaper vans are actually not only better value but often not much difference in quality.
Trouble is now all the appliances and fittings are pretty much all made by just a couple of corporate owned businesses that produce products to a price not a standard.
We’ve just bought another cheap can conversion from the show as the ones that are £30k more don’t provide any great benefits.

RYHALLRED

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat Elddis CV40
I have been saying for years that very often the cheaper vans are actually not only better value but often not much difference in quality.
Trouble is now all the appliances and fittings are pretty much all made by just a couple of corporate owned businesses that produce products to a price not a standard.
We’ve just bought another cheap can conversion from the show as the ones that are £30k more don’t provide any great benefits.
I think the cheap van may now be a thing of the past as manufacturers get greedy. Elddis CV20-60 are going to be £70k+ after the NEC show so i'm told.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
Just because people pay a lot more for some vans it definitely does not mean they do not have any trouble with them🙁🙁
Its not all about the issues you have but about the way they are resolved by dealers/manufacturer…..

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Just because people pay a lot more for some vans it definitely does not mean they do not have any trouble with them🙁🙁
Its not all about the issues you have but about the way they are resolved by dealers/manufacturer…..

Motorhomes have been going up exponentially in price and downwards in quality, it’s a simple fact… In reality, with used vans, with the dealers and manufacturers, none of them give a ‘tom tit’ about the punters, they just want to shift another unit… the true bit you need to be concerned about is how well screwed together they are in the manufacturing process… Issues outside of how well built they are you have to face facts, like installed appliances etc they are the responsibility of the customer as no one cares anymore, customer service, satisfaction and value is sadly just not a concern for dealers anymore.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We saved an awful lot of money

We DIDN'T go to the show at all

There's only one thing we need and we'll be buying that in Southern France as we get to the mountains
That's cheating though, it only really counts if you have looked temptation in the eye and not given in ;)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We saved an awful lot of money

We DIDN'T go to the show at all

There's only one thing we need and we'll be buying that in Southern France as we get to the mountains
Same here - apart from the frog excursion

Likes collected
Funster No
Especially as most are built on the same chassis with same driveline

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
We saved a fair bit as we didn't really like the STX that was £600k+ and the Morelo Empire Liner at £500k++ was too big for us (y) #result.
After spending a lot of time looking over the Empire Liner at the factory showroom and then the one at the NEC Mrs CC keeps reminding me I have no HGV license to drive one☹️
Might just scatter a few HGV driver training brochures round thr house for her to find😁😁
That will get her worried 😁😁

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
After spending a lot of time looking over the Empire Liner at the factory showroom and then the one at the NEC Mrs CC keeps reminding me I have no HGV license to drive one☹️
Might just scatter a few HGV driver training brochures round thr house for her to find😁😁
That will get her worried 😁😁
T'was lovely (y) but :unsure:

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
T'was lovely (y) but :unsure:
Yes, every time I go in one I think I need it😂😂
But the reality kicks in and I realise I’ve had some right tight episodes on my travels with the one I have as I don’t plan or look ahead so could and would definitely get into trouble with a bigger van😁😁

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
IMHO having had one of both British (Swift) German (Cathargo) admittedly neither were new but both within 6000 miles new.
Accessories
Swift, all steering wheel controls ie radio etc, standard
Cathargo None even in top range models, an extra.

Swift heating/hot water Alde including electric option. Standard
Carthargo, anything above Truma basic blown air gas water heating only option for hook up blown air, anything else extra.

Cooking Swift full English built in oven/grill/hob Standard
Cartargo. basic 3 ring gas hob and fridge freezer.

Build quality subjective but in all honesty I don't think there's a lot in it, depending on price point

Electrics, better standard equipment in Swift, Sargent no less reliable than ELB.

Insulation, if you just wish to use your M/H in Britain ideal with the Alde you will never be cold.
Abroad in winter the heat loss becomes more of a problem but not any worse than Truma blown air basic.

Design. I love the driving position/view you have from an A class much prefer it to driving our car.

The biggest plus for me is the double floor/garage space all heated.

In my opinion If Swift did a double floor A class at a similar price point to Cathargo it would be a serious contender.

My opinion is purely my own, comparing price with the Cathago before the present situation we find ourselves in it was almost double the price of the Swift. (y)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
I saved myself a fortune yesterday, i drove past a new house development where a couple were still available at £925K. I also drove past the Bentley dealership in Mobberly and didn't call in to buy one.
Big big saving day for me.;)

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
After I brought my present van some 10+ years ago, I popped along to the show and was actually a little curious as to whether or not I’d get in a newer van, love it so much, then return to mine and not like it as much. Shouldn’t have ever worried, as I was relieved that my van was still so much better, than the newer models that they were producing.

Been thinking it every year since, as quality seems to have dropped, the materials gotten cheap and nasty and the layouts a bit of a joke. Found one with the boiler buried deep inside a wardrobe, which you’d need to dismantle when it goes wrong and I honestly believe that the builders and converters thing we’re all gullible and stupid when it comes to details such as payload.

So, I’ve saved myself lots of £squiddlies over the years and still feel grateful that I have such a lovely vehicle to travel around in and enjoy myself and I still love it, but only in a manly way you understand 👍🏻

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
It doesnt indeed, but the problems tend to be at a different level as is the expectation.

Its very easy to decorate and furnish a motorhome to make it look attractive to a market but I think you need to look below the skin to really appreciate the differences. The newer N&B's are very swanky but I'm not a fan because I think the fixtures and fittings are too flimsy. However I've seen how the bodyshells are made using amongst other kit a massive press to fully bond a decent thickness of aluminium each side with a strong foam sandwich that makes a very rigid structure (including the floor) that cannot rot and is likely to retain its integrity for a good long time.

Whereas a cheaper make from this country uses a sheet of aluminium on the outside with a loose fill of white polystyrene with plastic blocks inbetween ( because the wood they used to use rotted) and then finishes off with a plywood inside and a plywood floor relying on the fabricators and the maintainers to be fastidious with copious amounts of sealant.

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
Have to say we were very unimpressed with the build quality on most of the PVC's we looked at. Certainly blew any of my concerns away.

Cheers
Red

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
I posted my thoughts on the differences between a swift 669 and Frakia Platin Plus a good few years ago.
I'm far more impressed by the Frankia and it's holding up against 8 years of all year round usage far better than the Swift did. Though I doubt any van is without some problems over the years.

However, I too find the build quality of the new vans disappointing. Where I have high quality melamine (?) worktops, the new ones have thin plywood and cheap plastic. So I saved myself £100k!!

The price difference between the high-end Frankias and the smaller Morelos seems to be decreasing.

Not that I can afford either without robbing pension investments.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Had a look at the Swift Kon-tiki and thought it looked like a nice van, the interior was nice especially the seating as it was probably one of the most comfortable seating I’ve sat in😁😁
Having had a brand new Kontiki, I can agree about good internal designs and comfortable seating etc. However, I can also confirm the build quality is shocking…. Ours went back to Swift for 8 weeks for major remedial works within the first 6 months.. Wouldn't touch another Swift with a barge pole.

Even after the remedial works, we had no confidence in it.. so we bailed out and bought a Burstner.. Talk about chalk and cheese in terms of build quality.. (y)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
Having had a brand new Kontiki, I can agree about good internal designs and comfortable seating etc. However, I can also confirm the build quality is shocking…. Ours went back to Swift for 8 weeks for major remedial works within the first 6 months.. Wouldn't touch another Swift with a barge pole.

Even after the remedial works, we had no confidence in it.. so we bailed out and bought a Burstner.. Talk about chalk and cheese in terms of build quality.. (y)
Ok thanks for the review, it’s off my shopping list now😁😁

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
Had a good look around the show on Saturday. Saw some very nice, very expensive motorhomes but also saw some very expensive not so nice motorhomes.
Pound for pound we’re more than happy with what we have and it’s meets all of our expectations.

One thing that did confuse me (amongst others) was the lock on the Carthago bathroom door. It was the same locking mechanism on the inside as the outside. So you could go into the bathroom, lock yourself in and someone just unlocks it from the outside. Why have it there in the first place.

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Given the huge hike in new van prices, I’m wondering what’s the most reliable place for a current valuation, particularly for vans which aren’t partially common in the UK e.g. Weinsberg special editions? I suspect my insurance valuation is not high enough but not sure what it should be and what the insurance company might expect?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago C line
Exp
25+ years
Had a good look around the show on Saturday. Saw some very nice, very expensive motorhomes but also saw some very expensive not so nice motorhomes.
Pound for pound we’re more than happy with what we have and it’s meets all of our expectations.

One thing that did confuse me (amongst others) was the lock on the Carthago bathroom door. It was the same locking mechanism on the inside as the outside. So you could go into the bathroom, lock yourself in and someone just unlocks it from the outside. Why have it there in the first place.
The Carthago bathroom door has the lock on the outside as well, so when you want to close off the rear of the van you can lock it from the living area side.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back