Nationwide FlexPlus Travel Insurance (1 Viewer)

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
UK Insurance recently charged me £87 for annual 64day extension but was specifically "Europe".

Does Aviva cover Worldwide?
Did they offer limited coverage options?

Could be time to challenge Nationwide about their change of provider....

Well the standard cover is Worldwide. It states that very clearly at the top of flex Plus web page. Maybe when you upgrade for an extension you have to be specific which makes sense as worldwide is more expensive that just Europe. Pointless paying for something you don't need.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Aviva require a return to be booked which we never do as we may decide to come back on a different day or a different route. I have launched a formal complaint and asked for leave to take it to the Ombudsman as it is unnecessarily restrictive and discriminatory, we will see. Their complaints handler promised to come back to me by Wednesday. I have also launched a formal complaint with Nationwide.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Me too, let's hope more Nationwide customers do the same.
I think the more that do will get Nationwide to look at the cover provided by Aviva.
Even though i have 12 months cover with UK insurance, im going to draft them an email expressing concern about Aviva cover.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I did it online via Nationwide's complaint option, got to 'speak' to a person rather than those ridiculous chat bot things.
Screenshot_20240505_081952_Chrome.jpg

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I'm on the Newhaven ferry on the 21st May for a 5 week trip and my N'w health upgrade expires on 29th. I had a letter from Aviva last week inviting me to renew with them now. I'm still trying to pluck up the courage to become embroiled in doing so. :(

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I'm on the Newhaven ferry on the 21st May for a 5 week trip and my N'w health upgrade expires on 29th. I had a letter from Aviva last week inviting me to renew with them now. I'm still trying to pluck up the courage to become embroiled in doing so. :(
I phoned Aviva on this number..
0345 878 5445

Once I got through 😔 the advisor was very helpful and sorted it all out.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Aviva require a return to be booked which we never do as we may decide to come back on a different day or a different route. I have launched a formal complaint and asked for leave to take it to the Ombudsman as it is unnecessarily restrictive and discriminatory, we will see. Their complaints handler promised to come back to me by Wednesday. I have also launched a formal complaint with Nationwide.

This is a concern as we don't generally book a return trip. I have just been looking at the T & C's of the Aviva travel insurance policy and cannot see that requirement. Can you tell me where it is?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
I’ve been with nationwide for 44 years.

I have always had their flex account plus from when it started.

When I had my heart bypass last year, they stopped cover for me for any conditions related to that health issue.

I had to take out cover with a separate company for a 71 day trip last year. Now I’ve just taken out an annual worldwide cover with that company, but it’s limited to 31 days.

I think I need to find a company that will cover me for trips up-to 90 days on an annual policy.

Any suggestions ?
We've had Flex and Flex plus cover for years. When my heart condition was first diagnosed I declared it and was offered the choice of cover for more premium.or voluntarily exclude it. I chose exclusion. Now, two valve replacement operations and a pacemaker down the line, I pay the supplementary premium for total worldwide cover plus an 80 day trip extension. At 75, I think they have been very reasonable. It will be interesting to see how Aviva react at renewal. Not hopeful considering their intransigence over bringing in Montenegro to Green Card cover.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
We've had Flex and Flex plus cover for years. When my heart condition was first diagnosed I declared it and was offered the choice of cover for more premium.or voluntarily exclude it. I chose exclusion. Now, two valve replacement operations and a pacemaker down the line, I pay the supplementary premium for total worldwide cover plus an 80 day trip extension. At 75, I think they have been very reasonable.
at what cost ?

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
I phoned Aviva on this number..
0345 878 5445

Once I got through 😔 the advisor was very helpful and sorted it all out.
I've just renewed my N'w FlexPlus a/c travel ins online (it took about 10 minutes) with the new provider, Aviva, as the existing FlexPlus cover expires on 29th whilst I will be abroad for 30 days. It says the docs won't be available until my existing cover changes to them. Not a problem as I have printed out their confirmation of renewal email.
Health upgrade is; BP control tabs, Statins and an asthma inhaler. Total extra £60 for the year and there's no longer an extra charge for over 70 age extension so it's a jolly good deal.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Its in the trip extention section

Found it - Actually its in section 3 (Page 12) of the main policy document. It's not to do with trip extensions, just general terms.

Trips you’re covered for:

By ‘trip’ we mean a journey that begins and ends in England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands or Isle of Man (‘UK’), where the journey starts after the account was opened and the return journey has been booked before leaving the UK.

Just happens we have booked return tickets for our 3 trips abroad this year because Irish ferries were offering a Flexi ticket for the same price as normal tickets so it made sense to book and we can change it if needed.

However, in the long run I will be enquiring about this with Nationwide as it is a restriction I don't like.

Lee Fryer

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Eastleigh
Funster No
MH
Coach built CI Carioca 15
Exp
Since June 2012
In trip extentions you have to input start and return dates.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
In trip extentions you have to input start and return dates.
I explained to them that I was happy to provide out and return dates then provide the booking details to confirm the trip after we return and I wouldn’t be seeking a refund if we returned early. But they wouldn’t have it, they insisted that both trips MUST be booked before starting the trip. Which I think is totally unreasonable and illogical. I even said that they are winning because we are unlikely to claim on baggage or disruption cover even though we were paying for it.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Just been through the trip extension set up. Page 14 of the policy document, what a load of grief.

Longer trip upgrade
If anyone insured by this policy is planning a trip which will last longer than 31 days, this upgrade will
provide cover for the entire duration of the trip up to a maximum of 120 days.
A return trip must have been booked before you can buy this upgrade.
The upgrade is not available for Winter Sports holidays.
This upgrade covers one single trip, you will need to buy one for each trip that exceeds 31 days.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
I explained to them that I was happy to provide out and return dates then provide the booking details to confirm the trip after we return and I wouldn’t be seeking a refund if we returned early. But they wouldn’t have it, they insisted that both trips MUST be booked before starting the trip. Which I think is totally unreasonable and illogical. I even said that they are winning because we are unlikely to claim on baggage or disruption cover even though we were paying for it.
It seems to be aimed at those on package hols with defined start and end dates, not wandering motorhomers.

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
I think you can book a Calais to Folkstone trip on the Chunnel which is completely refundable. So book it for the last day of your cover and then either use it or cancel it in favour of an earlier ferry or Chunnel crossing back to the UK.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I think you can book a Calais to Folkstone trip on the Chunnel which is completely refundable.
I do believe that only applies if you have paid the higher/flexi ticket price. I doubt that applies to the standard/economy ticket price, although the booking can be amended online for free, however, just not refundable :(

Regards,

Jock. :)

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
I do believe that only applies if you have paid the higher/flexi ticket price. I doubt that applies to the standard/economy ticket price, although the booking can be amended online for free, however, just not refundable :(

Regards,

Jock. :)
Yes, just the Flexplus ticket which is considerably more expensive. But if you’re not planning to actually use it ………

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
Theyve changed tickets now - there’s another class of ticket slightly but not exorbitantly more. which allows you to cancel

May 10, 2018
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
MH newbie but we owned a caravan previously.
Anyways, we are setting off on a trip in June for three weeks. I have BP issues but doesn't stop me driving HGV's or hill walking etc. SWMBO has mild COPD . I have to pay £30 extra and £167 (from memory) for my wife. At no point did they ask where we were going so these rates I assume will cover visits to the USA etc (worldwide cover). As we're only going to France and have our own transport and GHIC cards it seems excessive but cheap if visiting USA. We will probably just pay up which is what their marketing people expect.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Anyways, we are setting off on a trip in June for three weeks. I have BP issues but doesn't stop me driving HGV's or hill walking etc. SWMBO has mild COPD . I have to pay £30 extra and £167 (from memory) for my wife. At no point did they ask where we were going so these rates I assume will cover visits to the USA etc (worldwide cover). As we're only going to France and have our own transport and GHIC cards it seems excessive but cheap if visiting USA. We will probably just pay up which is what their marketing people expect.
I feel the same. All insurance is a 'grudge purchase' ...........unless you need to use it (rather like fire extinguishers), but it does provide some peace of mind.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back