My cheap delaminated window repair (1 Viewer)

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
A little while ago I managed to source some new window seals for my older kontiki with poly wotsit windows.
The downside of replacing the old seals with the new improved seals is a much tighter seal on all windows, thats a good thing I hear you say, but the small bathroom window was already coming unstuck down one side and the stress of new seals just about finished it off.
While the two halves didn't become fully detached there was a definite gap in the panes withe window closed.
After some careful consideration and much googling I was getting nowhere fast, so off to good old b&q to get some 6mm aluminium 'u' channel and some glue.
First I managed to get some super glue which was appropriate for the poly type plastic, in-between the two surfaces for the initial adherence, once dry I did the same again with some captain tollys creeping crack stuff to act as a sealer, then finally as an extra precaution just in case it did decide to 'let go' on a motorway (been down that road before with a sat dome šŸ˜€) I cut the aluminium channel to length and attached to either side of the window glued in place and also acting as a tight clamp for both panes. Doesn't look so bad i think, well from a distance anyway, 20210321_093920.jpg20210321_094011.jpg20210321_094051.jpg
Hopefully job done (y)

OP
OP
Emmenay

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
Finish looks good.
Its quite rewarding doing repairs yourself and good for the pocket as well. šŸ‘
The good thing is that the new seals have 95% sealed the leakage, the other 5% was the actual frames where there is a join at the top, water was finding it way through that and going under the the rubber seal and seepimg out at the bottom.
If anyone needs to replace the seals on older swifts amongst many other brands, you'll need polyvision rubber seal. Ten metres just about did it, the only downside is that its roughly 8 to ten pounds per metre but worth it when its sorted the problems.
IMG-1341_1056x1056.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back