LIFE MEMBER
Oct 25, 2008
Boroughbridge
Funster No
MH
VW transporter
Exp
25+
Hi we are travelling to Bilbao in February with our little shiz-tu dog our Brittany ferries confirmation says he must wear a muzzle is this mandatory as I can’t find one to fit his little face and the ones we have tried on him he is not happy with at all

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I can’t find one to fit his little face and the ones we have tried on him he is not happy with at all
I am sure Brittany Ferries will make an exception they cannot have your little dog upset in any way. When you are talking to them can you ask if they will allow me onto the car deck during passage I would prefer to sit in my motorhome rather than the cabin.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I am sure Brittany Ferries will make an exception they cannot have your little dog upset in any way. When you are talking to them can you ask if they will allow me onto the car deck during passage I would prefer to sit in my motorhome rather than the cabin.

How rude! (n)

Can you phone Brittany ferries and explain to them about the muzzle? They may make exceptions for smaller dogs, or if not, how about phoning your vet for advice? I’m sure they will have come across situations like this and may be able to advise.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Hi we are travelling to Bilbao in February with our little shiz-tu dog our Brittany ferries confirmation says he must wear a muzzle is this mandatory as I can’t find one to fit his little face and the ones we have tried on him he is not happy with at all
Yes, I read this but decided to ignore it . I took a soft muzzle with me just in case but was never asked to put it on him. The only problem we had was that when disembarking Brittany ask you to take your dog to your MH before any passengers disembark and then leave your dog in the MH alone whilst you go back to the passenger decks and disembark with all the other passengers. This was not acceptable for me as our dog suffers from separation anxiety. I told them this but they would not let me stay in the MH with the dog until docking, so we had to take the dog back onto the passenger deck with us and wait until all the other passengers had gone back to their vehicles and then return to our MH with the dog. The next time I will take the dog into the MH and close all the blinds and stay with him until docking.

Just waiting for the incoming critics now! :pop:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The muzzle is only required when the dog is being taken from the car deck to the kennels. It isn't required while the dog is being exercised on the "dog deck". For such a small dog I am sure you can get away with just carrying it in your arms. Alternatively, get a crate and put it in that.
They weren't fussy about muzzles a few years ago but seem to have tightened up a bit recently. I suspect someone got bitten.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Unnecessary!! (n)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Unnecessary!! (n)
You said,
The next time I will take the dog into the MH and close all the blinds and stay with him until docking.
I said,
ask if they will allow me onto the car deck during passage I would prefer to sit in my motorhome rather than the cabin
Other said,
Can you phone Brittany ferries and explain to them about the muzzle? They may make exceptions for smaller dogs,
I said,
I am sure Brittany Ferries will make an exception they cannot have your little dog upset in any way

My tone was indeed sarcastic and as my suggestions were repeated they cannot be rude or unnecessary, just humorous.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
You said,
The next time I will take the dog into the MH and close all the blinds and stay with him until docking.
I said,
ask if they will allow me onto the car deck during passage I would prefer to sit in my motorhome rather than the cabin
Other said,
Can you phone Brittany ferries and explain to them about the muzzle? They may make exceptions for smaller dogs,
I said,
I am sure Brittany Ferries will make an exception they cannot have your little dog upset in any way

My tone was indeed sarcastic and as my suggestions were repeated they cannot be rude or unnecessary, just humorous.
I didn't find it humorous at all, just incredibly sarcastic, however, can I suggest that in future if you mean something to be read as humorous you add an appropriate smiley e.g. ::bigsmile: :giggle::LOL:;)

Furthermore, my comment about being in the MH with the dog was only referring to the disembarkation stage - we always book a pet cabin when travelling on the ferry.

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year

We struggled with finding a muzzle for our little shiz-tu - his face is unfortunately quite flat and there was nothing to really fix it over. We managed to to get a small soft one off Amazon finally that sort of fitted (although he was not happy).

Could you get one and just pop it on when absolutely necessary and carry him or only put him on the floor when no one around otherwise?

Our two love people and there would be no danger of him ever bitting a human (other dog approaching him is altogether a totally different kettle of fish)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I didn't find it humorous at all, just incredibly sarcastic, however, can I suggest that in future if you mean something to be read as humorous you add an appropriate smiley e.g. ::bigsmile: :giggle::LOL:;)

Furthermore, my comment about being in the MH with the dog was only referring to the disembarkation stage - we always book a pet cabin when travelling on the ferry.
You choose to ignore Brittany Ferries rules, but expect me to follow yours. Good luck with both.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I don't make rules, just polite suggestions :rollingeyes:

"can I suggest that in future...."
Brittany Ferries like most large companies have crawlers and bot service providers delivering results of internet traffic peculiar to their services and or specifically their company name so now doubt your advocated Brittany Ferries rule breaking advice will be in their system somewhere. Just a suggestion of course:LOL:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

I thought it rude and sarcastic too. No way to answer a genuine question here.

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
We find that they enforce the muzzle wearing during the transfer from the car deck to your cabin and vice versa. I can see why they do as you bring your dogs up in the lift and it’s obviously a confined space. The last thing anyone wants is confrontation between dogs.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Every time we go on trains or boats and they tell us to take muzzles nobody ever bothers, so we leave them off .

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Yes, I read this but decided to ignore it . I took a soft muzzle with me just in case but was never asked to put it on him. The only problem we had was that when disembarking Brittany ask you to take your dog to your MH before any passengers disembark and then leave your dog in the MH alone whilst you go back to the passenger decks and disembark with all the other passengers. This was not acceptable for me as our dog suffers from separation anxiety. I told them this but they would not let me stay in the MH with the dog until docking, so we had to take the dog back onto the passenger deck with us and wait until all the other passengers had gone back to their vehicles and then return to our MH with the dog. The next time I will take the dog into the MH and close all the blinds and stay with him until docking.

Just waiting for the incoming critics now! :pop:
You rebel, you. Send Mark next time!!!

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Every time we go on trains or boats and they tell us to take muzzles nobody ever bothers, so we leave them off .

Never been told or asked to muzzle ours on a train or bus in this Country.

Thinking about it don’t think I’ve had to pay either

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The simple answer is to buy a muzzle that nearly fits but keep it in your pocket until asked by a BF employee to put it on. Chances are that if your dog is unobtrusive no-one will ask.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Never been told or asked to muzzle ours on a train or bus in this Country.

Thinking about it don’t think I’ve had to pay either
We took the dog on the train around Lake Iseo, Italy. Couldn't find anywhere to pay and no one asked so none of us paid for 3 days.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Hi we are in same situation as we sail next week to Bilbao with our shiz-tzu I just wonder what you did in the end, and how it worked out for you.
Thanks

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
After our trip to Spain last year I don't think we'll go again while we have a dog it's so dog unfriendly especially if they are fairly large we felt like lepers.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
After our trip to Spain last year I don't think we'll go again while we have a dog it's so dog unfriendly especially if they are fairly large we felt like lepers.

We've been to Spain many times with our dog and never felt like lepers. I wonder if it depends where you go? Admittedly, they aren't allowed on public transport but that's the only downside that we've found.

We've found plenty of beaches that are dog friendly and the bars and restaurants all seem to allow dogs. Our dog has been brought bowls of water by the waiters, who stop and stroke her and seem to really like dogs.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We were in northern Spain our dog is 34kg a biggish labradoodle. We weren't allowed on the tourist train in restraunts public buildings etcetc.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Duffie did you see my post above??
Also can you or anyone else tell me if you are allowed back down to the motorhome at all during the 18 or so hr sailing?

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Whilst you may not have encountered problems with your own dogs, generally dogs are not treated very well in Spain from our own experience. Litters of puppies are abandoned by bins to die or hopefully be rescued by expats.

Whilst taking our own dog for a walk I found a box of six puppies. I spoke to a council worker who spoke very good English who told me “ this is not England”.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Duffie did you see my post above??
Also can you or anyone else tell me if you are allowed back down to the motorhome at all during the 18 or so hr sailing?
You are not allowed access to the car deck but I guess if you have a good enough excuse, such as you left a chicken cooking in the oven or more seriously you left some critical meds in the van they might let you, otherwise it's a no and there shouldn't be any reason to go anyway. Just take all your stuff with you.

I don't know how the OP got on but a small dog held in the arms shouldn't give rise to a problem. What are they going to do if you don't have a muzzle? :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back