MTH autogas refillable cylinders (1 Viewer)

May 28, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Converted Renault Master
Exp
6 years
Anyone else have one of these and still use it or manage to get it filled Ok? Where is the best place to go for gas?

Attachments

• DSC04214.JPG
    DSC04214.JPG
    349.1 KB · Views: 83

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Think the latter of the two dates is the expiry date.

Jun 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1978
I know this is slightly off topic but I was looking on ebay to see about buying a second Gas-It refillable bottle and noticed there were many adverts for adaptors to fit on to normal exchange type propane bottles. Has anyone had experience of these because, if they are legal and safe, they must be the cheapest way of buying gas. Although it is difficult to see exactly, its possible one of these adaptors might fit the bottle in the photograph in which case it could be filled at any garage that sells autogas.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Refilling bottles is a specialized skill. They must never be filled more that 80% to allow for expansion with temp . The refillable bottles have automatic cut off at that level. Even so there is some confusion about some garages not being willing to allow refilling of anything other than fixed tanks or systems using an external fill point- like cars have.
Yes it is a much cheaper way of buying the LPG must you have to balance the cost against the finite certified life of the cylinders and the fact that once out of date it is not easy to get them recertified.
Really it depends on just how much gas you are going to use and whether you will be in the UK all the time.
Similar rules apply to the life of rubber flexible gas hoses, usually its 10 years then they need to be changed.
Mike

OP
OP
Bomber county wanderers
May 28, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Converted Renault Master
Exp
6 years
I know this is slightly off topic but I was looking on ebay to see about buying a second Gas-It refillable bottle and noticed there were many adverts for adaptors to fit on to normal exchange type propane bottles. Has anyone had experience of these because, if they are legal and safe, they must be the cheapest way of buying gas. Although it is difficult to see exactly, its possible one of these adaptors might fit the bottle in the photograph in which case it could be filled at any garage that sells autogas.
Its illegal to fill a cylinder you don't own apparently. Having said that I made an attachment to fill my little 3.9kg cylinders from a big Calor cylinder. I live miles from anyone else, use an earth bonding strap for static discharge etc so it'll only be me I blow up.....

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
Refilling calor gas bottles using adaptors off Ebay

"In 2013 the Health and Safety Executive prosecuted a man who had sold more than 700 potentially dangerous adaptors to members of the public, enabling LPG cylinders to be filled at petrol stations.

John Hodges, a Health and Safety Executive scientist, concluded that the devices were hazardous and likely to cause leaks. Magistrates at Preston County Court heard that the safe filling of LPG cylinders requires appropriate expertise and equipment and should only be undertaken by trained personnel on the cylinder-owning company’s premises, and, for safety reasons, are only filled to 80 per cent capacity.

This prosecution followed an incident at Rossendale in Lancashire which caused a dangerous fire on a petrol station forecourt that led to one man suffering serious burns."

Hope this answers anyones questions.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Its illegal to fill a cylinder you don't own apparently. Having said that I made an attachment to fill my little 3.9kg cylinders from a big Calor cylinder. I live miles from anyone else, use an earth bonding strap for static discharge etc so it'll only be me I blow up.....
In all likelihood you'll be fine. But if you aren't leaving an air gap (technically a gas gap I guess) at the top when you fill to allow for expansion, you're at risk unplanned venting (possibly of the destructive kind) when it gets warm.

OP
OP
Bomber county wanderers
May 28, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Converted Renault Master
Exp
6 years
Why would you **** around with gas???

New kit needed.
Because the £6 a litre Calor charge is a rip off! Filling from one cylinder to another, what can happen? pressure will only equalise in both, not possible to over fill unless you are pumping it in with say the forklift gas pump at work. Just use some common sense, no naked flames or people nearby, anti static precautions etc. I even weigh mine empty and full (you can't actually get them "full" though). The forecourt LPG pumps are actually worse than the old hand cranked forklift filling rigs, I wouldn't advise filling calor or similar cylinders from a petrol station pump unless you were 110% sure with you maths as to how much in litres you want in there. My MTH cylinder is clearly marked 20 litres and that allows for expansion.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Because the £6 a litre Calor charge is a rip off! Filling from one cylinder to another, what can happen? pressure will only equalise in both, not possible to over fill unless you are pumping it in with say the forklift gas pump at work. Just use some common sense, no naked flames or people nearby, anti static precautions etc. I even weigh mine empty and full (you can't actually get them "full" though). The forecourt LPG pumps are actually worse than the old hand cranked forklift filling rigs, I wouldn't advise filling calor or similar cylinders from a petrol station pump unless you were 110% sure with you maths as to how much in litres you want in there. My MTH cylinder is clearly marked 20 litres and that allows for expansion.
Actually, I mostly agree with you, so I take it back. I guess that transferring from one cylinder to another can't ever give you a higher pressure (and hence fill level) than was in the larger cylinder. So you can't overfill (assuming they are rated the same)?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back