MTB Rack or seat post rack for 29er (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Having purchased my new bicycle a Cannondale 29er Mountain bike but leaning more towards road and a bit of trail, I need a rack for it. Any thoughts /experiences on seat post racks vs regular rack? I would be putting a single bag on it and not going touring etc.

Thanks

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Having purchased my new bicycle a Cannondale 29er Mountain bike but leaning more towards road and a bit of trail, I need a rack for it. Any thoughts /experiences on seat post racks vs regular rack? I would be putting a single bag on it and not going touring etc.

Thanks
Does it have rear suspension, if so you probably can't fit a standard rack?

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Rigid rear end
Haha, technical term, ' Hard tail' 😁
Conventional rack, will take more weight but look like an old man's bike.
Seat post rack, trendy but not particularly practical, don't load it with lots of shopping (wine)
That's my opinion 😎

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Bike packing saddle bag..I got all my stuff in it for a three-day tour on a Hardtail...using hotels...no rack needed...the like is the style...not the actual bag I use...I have a Top peak bag.

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiPvsri47v0AhWIjGgJHUM6D7sYABAHGgJ3Zg&ae=2&sig=AOD64_21oHp7wxHUw41YPMjluZGhpcDtYg&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwj_g8Di47v0AhWa8uAKHaHiBnkQwg96BAgBEDE&adurl=

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I've got a 29" full sus. When I had a Fiamma rack on the back of my previous panel van, I found the bike was so long it would roll of either end of the rail while I was trying to clamp the seat. The 2.6" tyres don't fit in the channels either. Fiamma do a longer rail, which helped a lot.

The new van has a Thule rear rack. The rails are curved, a bit longer and the stop blocks are bigger, so it's much easier to use.

Edit: you're taking about pannier racks... Ignore me.

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Bike packing saddle bag..I got all my stuff in it for a three-day tour on a Hardtail...using hotels...no rack needed...the like is the style...not the actual bag I use...I have a Top peak bag.

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiPvsri47v0AhWIjGgJHUM6D7sYABAHGgJ3Zg&ae=2&sig=AOD64_21oHp7wxHUw41YPMjluZGhpcDtYg&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwj_g8Di47v0AhWa8uAKHaHiBnkQwg96BAgBEDE&adurl=
I've seen these but wondered whether it would flop about when pedalling? Not a problem then?

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990

Thanks
Hi Jon..I've been down a similar route you are on so I'll relate my experiences in case some of the points help..
First off is the bike frame equipped with specific mounting points for panniers or rack..if it is you should be able to buy a frame to fit...
If its not then it depends on frame material and possibly whether you have a dropper post etc..
I bought one of the seat post type racks as a starting point but made some alterations...for various reasons...mainly because I wanted to carry a substantial load and my frame was carbon..I also had a dropper post..
Even if your frame is aluminium the clamps supplied Williamston certainly need lining with rubber if they are not to damage the frame...
The support stays supplied are adjustable but transfare the load to the frame ..I added a 2nd set of supports to transfare most of the weight to a modified back axle...
I didnt want any weight on the seat post clamp so added support there which transfared weight to the upper frame..
The original clamp been now rubber lined was just used for providing a bit stability and locating the whole rack..
All the above may mean a bit more if you look at the attached photos.. (y) :LOL:
20211129_071622.jpg

And one of it fitted and loaded..
You might be able to zoom in ..

20210527_141946.jpg

A bit to think about anyway if you go for a rack..
Andy..

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I've got a couple of topeak seat post bags for a sale if you're interested, I'll dig them out and take some pictures.
<Broken link removed>

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Hi jongood

I’d recommend Topeak as a quality brand who do various options from very minimal seatpost mounted racks, through to much more substantial touring options with panniers.
If you’re planning on carrying anything more than a packed lunch, jacket, phone etc, then I’d look at something that has supports that attach to the seat stays.

Paul (25 years bike trade experience)

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Hi Jon..I've been down a similar route you are on so I'll relate my experiences in case some of the points help..
First off is the bike frame equipped with specific mounting points for panniers or rack..if it is you should be able to buy a frame to fit...
If its not then it depends on frame material and possibly whether you have a dropper post etc..
I bought one of the seat post type racks as a starting point but made some alterations...for various reasons...mainly because I wanted to carry a substantial load and my frame was carbon..I also had a dropper post..
Even if your frame is aluminium the clamps supplied Williamston certainly need lining with rubber if they are not to damage the frame...
The support stays supplied are adjustable but transfare the load to the frame ..I added a 2nd set of supports to transfare most of the weight to a modified back axle...
I didnt want any weight on the seat post clamp so added support there which transfared weight to the upper frame..
The original clamp been now rubber lined was just used for providing a bit stability and locating the whole rack..
All the above may mean a bit more if you look at the attached photos.. (y) :LOL:
View attachment 561469
And one of it fitted and loaded..
You might be able to zoom in ..

View attachment 561470
A bit to think about anyway if you go for a rack..
Andy..
Wow Andy! Got a bit of engineering going on there.

I do have mounting lugs but not looking to carry anything like that amount, I'm talking 2-3 hours mostly road with space to but a baguette or a flask, a lock and the wrong tool for whatever problem I have :giggle:

I'm now wondering about maybe one of these and one of these

Looking at the next says, they are made in Sheffield so also fits in with my trying not to buy Chinese stuff.

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Seems a reasonable price😁😁
I think I prefer this one

bike-fashion-ninja-turtles-3l-basket.jpg

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I've got a couple of topeak seat post bags for a sale if you're interested, I'll dig them out and take some pictures.
<Broken link removed>
The ToPeak bags that go with this system: here? Edit: sorry, yes, there was a link. But to the smaller of the Topeak panniers. They do one with expanding side pockets.

Called RX BeamRack V-Type

That’s what I used. Quite small so only for a couple of nights away and for between B&B stops rather than camping.

The Topeak panniers I use are like these here

My MTB has a dropper post so here’s a pic of them on my road bike from Devon C2C:
CDA6DAE2-1056-4846-99F8-913D6F7BE788.jpeg

Last edited:

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Wow Andy! Got a bit of engineering going on there.

I do have mounting lugs but not looking to carry anything like that amount, I'm talking 2-3 hours mostly road with space to but a baguette or a flask, a lock and the wrong tool for whatever problem I have :giggle:

I'm now wondering about maybe one of these and one of these

Looking at the next says, they are made in Sheffield so also fits in with my trying not to buy Chinese stuff.
My mate used a handlebar bag on the C2C. You can see it in the pic above.
It was awkward and horrible (in our opinions 🤪).
His was like a roll. Off the bike, load it up with clothes etc. then wrap it up like a Swiss roll.
Awkward to fit and secure. But he didn’t practice before hand and just tried it for the 1st time on this Reid’s.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
My MTB has a dropper post so here’s a pic of them on my road bike from Devon C2C:
mine has a dropper as well , but in touring mode its not really going to get much use as a dropper anyway...I was still able to drop my seat a couple inches anyway as the seat post clamp was only clamped very lightly...I used a modified clamp to take the load to the top of the seat stays...
to me that set up in the photo of the seat post clamp rack looks unsatisfactory for anything but a very light loads..
it needs some additional support imo..
Andy

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
mine has a dropper as well , but in touring mode its not really going to get much use as a dropper anyway...I was still able to drop my seat a couple inches anyway as the seat post clamp was only clamped very lightly...I used a modified clamp to take the load to the top of the seat stays...
to me that set up in the photo of the seat post clamp rack looks unsatisfactory for anything but a very light loads..
it needs some additional support imo..
Andy
The max weight is 7kg. So just clothes and not camping stuff. My Devin C2C was just a single night route but an additional night or two would work.
The design worked well for road routes.
But the weight is quite high so the centre of gravity moved up.
If the MTB course is windy/bendy, maybe that would change the handling and is a factor to think of.

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
My mate used a handlebar bag on the C2C. You can see it in the pic above.
It was awkward and horrible (in our opinions 🤪).
His was like a roll. Off the bike, load it up with clothes etc. then wrap it up like a Swiss roll.
Awkward to fit and secure. But he didn’t practice before hand and just tried it for the 1st time on this Reid’s.
Do you mean awkward to pack or to ride? I'm thinking it looks ideal fro the morning baguette run.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007

Attachments

• 20211129_083834.jpg
    20211129_083834.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 12
  • 20211129_083804.jpg
    20211129_083804.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 12
  • 20211129_083725.jpg
    20211129_083725.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Handlebar bags...
20211129_085408.jpg
20211129_085318.jpg
20211129_085402.jpg

Attachments

• 20211129_085313.jpg
    20211129_085313.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Got a couple of them for sale too...
Thanks for that..ive seen the photos...its not really what I'm after..they look a bit formal.. I'm thinking a bag that could maybe take a tent or a sleeping bag..
I might even just try strapping a large dry sack to the bars rather than anything to rigid..
Ta
Andy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back