Motorway breakdown, France (1 Viewer)

Jun 1, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Micro campervan
Exp
Since 2012
On Saturday I had a problem with my van and had to pull off onto the hard shoulder of the VERY busy A9 motorway in south east France. I phoned my insurance company and was told that I had to phone the emergency services on 112 for help. Fortunately, I only had to wait 30 minutes until, not the emergency services but a passing motorway patrol van stopped to ask what the problem was. He told me that the motorway patrol and NOT the emergency services deal with breakdowns on French motorways. The good news is the motorway patrol fixed my problem and I continued my journey but with absolutely no thanks to the insurance company paid to help in that situation. I don't remember the motorway patrol number, but I write this to warn others heading off to France.

OP
OP
audlin
Jun 1, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Micro campervan
Exp
Since 2012
Until the company has replied to my complaint, I'd rather not say. However, it is a company used by many funsters which is why I decided to give them a try.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The insurance folks are dead on, if you read the small print in insurance and breakdown policy's it tell s you you have to ring the patrols with the phone on the road, nothing they can do about it , it's french law.
But if you keep all the bills they will pay you back.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If it was a péage motorway, recovery is controlled and you have to use the designated recovery organisation for that bit of road. You also have to pay them and then try to recover the cost from your UK policy.

OP
OP
audlin
Jun 1, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Micro campervan
Exp
Since 2012
The insurance folks are dead on, if you read the small print in insurance and breakdown policy's it tell s you you have to ring the patrols with
By 'patrols' are you referring to the highway patrols? I was told by insurance company to call 112 emergency services. (I'm writing this on my phone and just about managing!)

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
If it was a péage motorway, recovery is controlled and you have to use the designated recovery organisation for that bit of road. You also have to pay them and then try to recover the cost from your UK policy.
Nothing to do with tolls. It applies to all French motorway as we found out a few years ago.

Jun 23, 2017
Shipley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T - 588
Exp
Since 2004
So if you have broken down how would you find the number of the recovery firm? Did 112 contact them and the motorway patrol wasn't just passing?

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
You dial 112 for the emergency services or use one of the phones at the side of the road. They contact the designated recovery service for that bit of motorway who come out to you. It happened to us 10 years ago. I could explain that we had a flat tyre and where we were in my limited French. I suppose “what 3 words” might help now. A patrol car passing in the OPs case was just good fortune , as was the fact that they got it going. You pay the local recovery firm , they have cash card machines, send the receipt to your insurance company and they refund your money.

There’s another similar thread. I didn’t realise this so had phoned Safeguard first. Once we were on the move again and got to the campsite I phoned Safeguard again and they gave me an Incident number for the breakdown. I’ve only just remember this. It was so that we could sort it out after our holiday. Took 6 weeks to get the money back but it was August when we claimed.

I think I am very good at reading the small print and had driven a car in France many times but that bit had not clicked. It has caught many people out so don’t beat yourself up about it. It was scarey at the time trying to make myself understood at the side of a motorway with lorries thundering past.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I don't see the problem, in France private breakdown/ recovery services are not allowed to operate on the Autoroute you have to use their recovery service and pay them reclaim from your insurance. It's always been that way.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I don't see the problem, in France private breakdown/ recovery services are not allowed to operate on the Autoroute you have to use their recovery service and pay them reclaim from your insurance. It's always been that way.
Neither can I ,the insurance firm did all they could , they informed you who to ring to get you on your way.
Nothing else they could do by law.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I agree, it’s not a problem at all once you know that France has a different system on it’s motorways. I was trying to be kind and reassure the OP that they’re not the only one to have missed this bit on the insurance documents!

Mr and Mrs O

Free Member
Dec 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
Deposit is paid
Exp
Newbies
We are sorry that you broke down but happy that the French patrol got you back on your journey!
Thanks for posting as we would have done the same as you and called our insurance company!
Just goes to show that everydays a school day!
Safe travels!

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
The nice French motorway patrol bloke was very helpful and helped me change a wheel (on a nearby aire not hard shoulder) after a blow-out. The wheel bolts were too tight for me to undo with my limited tools. In that situation there was no need to call out the designated breakdown service for that part of the motorway.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back