Motorway breakdown, France (1 Viewer)

Jun 1, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Micro campervan
Exp
Since 2012
On Saturday I had a problem with my van and had to pull off onto the hard shoulder of the VERY busy A9 motorway in south east France. I phoned my insurance company and was told that I had to phone the emergency services on 112 for help. Fortunately, I only had to wait 30 minutes until, not the emergency services but a passing motorway patrol van stopped to ask what the problem was. He told me that the motorway patrol and NOT the emergency services deal with breakdowns on French motorways. The good news is the motorway patrol fixed my problem and I continued my journey but with absolutely no thanks to the insurance company paid to help in that situation. I don't remember the motorway patrol number, but I write this to warn others heading off to France.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Who are you insured with? They obviously need to train their staff better.

Bounty Hunter

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1984
Everyone has to by law use the motorway appointed recovery service on all French motorways. Insurance companies cannot help but as far as I know they all reimburse bona fide claims

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Unless things have changed in the insurance world . You could read the small print of your breakdown insurance .

Had a blow out (and I mean a blow out. A knicker changing bang )a few years back on the A131 coming out of le Havre .
I couldn't get the jack under even using leveling ramps.
I gave up and called my insurance (2gether) gave my location and got through to breakdown. Not covered on any France A road ! Told rep no not a peage but an A road .Non!
All frence A roads being privately own and won't allow outside breakdown help.
Cost me from memory €185 or there abouts.
And the good bit chap had a jack but wouldn't go under van and wanted to recover me (more charge no doubt) so I used his jack and I changed the wheel.
Got a recite and put in a claim when I got a better connection . Told read the small print not covered .
I did and I wasn't queried this with RAC and AA .Still not covered .
Now if I had ran on another 200mts to a N road .
Covered!
.c'est la vie
So count yourself lucky :LOL:
20210907_201534.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
On Saturday I had a problem with my van and had to pull off onto the hard shoulder of the VERY busy A9 motorway in south east France. I phoned my insurance company and was told that I had to phone the emergency services on 112 for help. Fortunately, I only had to wait 30 minutes until, not the emergency services but a passing motorway patrol van stopped to ask what the problem was. He told me that the motorway patrol and NOT the emergency services deal with breakdowns on French motorways. The good news is the motorway patrol fixed my problem and I continued my journey but with absolutely no thanks to the insurance company paid to help in that situation. I don't remember the motorway patrol number, but I write this to warn others heading off to France.
Sorry to hear that Audrey but glad you got sorted in the end. Have a nice trip.

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Unless things have changed in the insurance world . You could read the small print of your breakdown insurance .

Had a blow out (and I mean a blow out. A knicker changing bang )a few years back on the A131 coming out of le Havre .
I couldn't get the jack under even using leveling ramps.
I gave up and called my insurance (2gether) gave my location and got through to breakdown. Not covered on any France A road ! Told rep no not a peage but an A road .Non!
All frence A roads being privately own and won't allow outside breakdown help.
Cost me from memory €185 or there abouts.
And the good bit chap had a jack but wouldn't go under van and wanted to recover me (more charge no doubt) so I used his jack and I changed the wheel.
Got a recite and put in a claim when I got a better connection . Told read the small print not covered .
I did and I wasn't queried this with RAC and AA .Still not covered .
Now if I had ran on another 200mts to a N road .
Covered!
.c'est la vie
So count yourself lucky :LOL:View attachment 534406

What make of tyre was it,as looks like new?

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Unfortunately it’s long been the case. We had a blow out like you on a French motorway 10 years ago and hadn’t read that bit of the small print so don’t beat yourself up about it. I phoned Safeguard first and they told me to use the phone beside the motorway (haha) or phone the emergency services. Very scarey though.
I must admit I think for everyones sake it might be nice if the insurance companies could liase as they all have fluent french speakers but fortunately my French isn’t too bad. I was given a receipt for my €250 and claimed it back. Took 6 weeks.

It happened to a funster last year and they didn’t realise either and weren’t a newbie, cost €400. It’s only in France you’re fine in other countries.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish

From memory it was a C rated commercial "Jupiter" fitted shortly before I got the van probably Chinese.
Certainly nearly put me into space :LOL:

Further o down the road found a protyre depot. So fitted a new pair of vanco continental I believe to the rear. More beer money gone

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
If you Look closer, there are cracks in the bottom of the treads.
That I am told by conti tyres is caused by over exposure to the sun for long periods, or tyre age.
It can be a manufacturer fault also.

I found 2 of my 3 years old tyres had similar earlier this year and conti changed them with an allowance for wear and tear.
It it seems it is not an mot fail unless the beads are cut or exposed.
A definate " watch out"

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you Look closer, there are cracks in the bottom of the treads.

Well spotted, you can see one in the top left part of this close up.

20210907_201534.jpg

What I want to know though is why is Wurzel Gummage trapped inside it? :giggle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back