LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
One of our friends (yes we do have more than one :) ) is coming to visit from the USA. The plan is that we pick him up from the airport and go to Rosslyn Chapel (it's on his "to do" list) and then head north. I know there will be a slight double back but that can't be helped.

Anyway our van does have three berths but would be a bit "matey" so the idea is that he does B&B whilst we stay in the van - by preference campsites with EHU. The first night we hope to BritStop at a place that also has rooms but there are plenty of places around if that doesn't work out.

I've been trying to get B&B accommodation in Portree (Skye) and it is like gold dust for the night we need it. I did find that one of the hostels still has a few beds so have asked if he would be happy with that...... The C&CC site has the glamping pods but has a two night minimum stay. It's not even a bank holiday weekend - is Skye always that busy?

The plan so far is Edinburgh airport, Rosslyn Chapel, BritStop on the way to Mallaig, across on the ferry (yes I know but he wants to), night on Skye and explore a bit before ferry to Tarbet (Harris). Then two nights on Lewis (second night probably very near Stornoway so we can get the first ferry out to Ullapool) and then home.

If Skye doesn't work out we will go direct to Lewis via Ullapool. The harbour should be open again by then.

I think it is too much in too short a time but the day after we get home he has to be in Lincoln as he is working the following week in Lincoln and then over in Wales.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Dan Brown has much to answer for re Rosslyn Pd. But good luck with your accommodation conundrum. Do the C & CC realise how much business they lose with the 2 nights min rule? Obviously not, which is one of the reasons why we didn't renew a number of years ago.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Sounds like a fun packed time Helen. I have read posts and saw photos taken from funsters on Harris. Definitely on my "Must go to " list.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I visited Rosslyn once and have no intention if going round again - interesting but not enough for a second visit unless you are really into the mythical and symbolic stuff. Martin hasn't been so maybe he will go in with Scott whilst I do other stuff. The guided tour was informative and I got more out of it by going round with the guide than I would have using the guide book.

We are thinking that Plan B is probably better than Plan A and may miss out Skye completely this trip. Will see what Scott thinks about hostel accommodation. Since it all looks so booked up I may well have to think about making reservations sooner rather than later.

Jane was at Lewes Castle College near Stornoway for her first two years of uni so we have been a few times (but not with the van). Really looking forward to the trip.

We will be taking a set of bedding for our friend just in case we get "stranded" but a 5.99m van is on the close side even for very good friends. :) And he is 6ft 6in tall......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back