Motorhomes of the year (1 Viewer)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Just got my C and MC magazine. The motorhomes of the year article recons British made motorhomes are the best in all categories where there's a British manufacturer available (all but A class) in fact they're so good that there are hardly any european motorhomes as runners up either!!!!. What world do they live in!

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Just got my C and MC magazine. The motorhomes of the year article recons British made motorhomes are the best in all categories where there's a British manufacturer available (all but A class) in fact they're so good that there are hardly any european motorhomes as runners up either!!!!. What world do they live in!

So what's new? It's the same every year. :rolleyes:

:LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
They can only judge the MHs they are 'loaned' so if no foreign ones are placed it's likely that the manufacturers know how much of a farce it is so don't enter any, or very few.

DJT

Jun 20, 2019
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Now Sold
Exp
Cuckoo Land !!! The land of fake reviews ??
Just my opinion ?

C33JAY

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
2 x years Travelling in Europe in our VW T6
Well it may be a fixed review but we will probably never know, anyway I will wave the flag for my Brand New British built 2020 Swift Escape saying its well put together and although ive not been able to use it yet rofl:ROFLMAO: everything has been thoroughly tested on my driveway and it all works perfectly and I have no leaks (y)

I wonder how many people on this Forum still think that Harleys leak loads of oil and are poorly built a reputation earned many years ago and so far from todays truth just saying lol

Stay safe regards CJ

May 29, 2020
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Exp
Since March 2024
It could be true if you like that kind of layout. For someone like me, who needs to prioritise storage in the back, British built conversions are totally useless. I certainly won't be needing an oven too when I put my order through. I totally accept that I'm in the minority otherwise British converters wouldn't make those implementations as the default product.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Well it may be a fixed review but we will probably never know, anyway I will wave the flag for my Brand New British built 2020 Swift Escape saying its well put together and although ive not been able to use it yet rofl:ROFLMAO: everything has been thoroughly tested on my driveway and it all works perfectly and I have no leaks (y)

I wonder how many people on this Forum still think that Harleys leak loads of oil and are poorly built a reputation earned many years ago and so far from todays truth just saying lol

Stay safe regards CJ
I would wait until you have driven a few thousand miles and everything has been shaken about a bit before commenting, you might have to eat crow later ( hope not)😉

Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
Why is it that even now so many people feel the need to constantly assume all things British are rubbish and all things not British are the best you can get, just a quick look through the posts on this forum will show that there are good, bad and even horrendous reviews of vans from all countries and all makes even those with a price tag well in excess of £100,000.

I do sincerely believe that when it comes to value for money the majority of British built vans are equal to and in many cases better than their mainland European competitors.

OP
OP
The Wino
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Why is it that even now so many people feel the need to constantly assume all things British are rubbish and all things not British are the best you can get, just a quick look through the posts on this forum will show that there are good, bad and even horrendous reviews of vans from all countries and all makes even those with a price tag well in excess of £100,000.

I do sincerely believe that when it comes to value for money the majority of British built vans are equal to and in many cases better than their mainland European competitors.
If it had been a mix of different countries manufacturers I might agree the fact they were almost exclusively British to me makes it obvious it's a fix. If it was that clear whose were best it would be reflected in sales and when you go to Europe they would also largely be driving British made MH which is far from the case.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011

I would disagree with your last paragraph as most British vans are not properly winterised with inboard tanks etc so no comparison, I have owned two British vans and two German and liked them all for differing reasons but certainly would stick with continentals for that very reason😊

Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
If it had been a mix of different countries manufacturers I might agree the fact they were almost exclusively British to me makes it obvious it's a fix. If it was that clear whose were best it would be reflected in sales and when you go to Europe they would also largely be driving British made MH which is far from the case.

I am not commenting on the validity of the results, in fact I would agree that it does look a little biased to say the least, what I am however saying is that there are a number of people on here that seem to glorify in rubbishing anything British regardless of what I believe to be evidence from this site alone that there is in fact good and bad on all sides of the channel and when considered on a value for money case British vans very much hold their own.

Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
I would disagree with your last paragraph as most British vans are not properly winterised with inboard tanks etc so no comparison, I have owned two British vans and two German and liked them all for differing reasons but certainly would stick with continentals for that very reason😊

We are all going to have differing views on what constitutes value for money and I respect that, some would say it is getting the best at any cost I prefer to try to get everything I need (including taking into account a reasonable level of quality and finish) at the best price I can afford, however I would also make 2 comments here

1 My British van is utilised all year round (though obviously not at the moment) with no issues the tank is not inboard but came fitted with an in tank heater system and I have never had any concerns about it freezing or generally about using the van no matter what the temperature was outside. I would also mention here that Bailey took a caravan and a motorhome into the Arctic Circle with no issues.
2 my reference is to value for money, I would have to spend considerably more money to get what I got with my British built van and still have potentially the same/less or more issues this being based solely on what I have seen on numerous posts on this very forum.

I know of many Motor home owners who brought a British van had so many issues they say they would never buy another, I equally know of many who brought European ones had the same experience's and now only buy British all I would like is to get away from this constant need that some people have of Brit Bashing (or European bashing come to that).

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We have always bought British motorhomes.

Our principal requirements are, apart from the obvious shower etc

A layout we can live with, so far, despite looking in France where we live for 6 months of the year, (until Brexit intervenes), we have not found a continental layout that suits us.

We have never had a major problem with a British built m/h except for a 10 year old one we bought when returning to motorhoming after an absence of five years.

We don’t want to pay £1k+ for a replacement headlight!:cool:

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I’ve never taken any notice of motorhome reviews in magazines. All a load of crap.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Have a look at who sponsored the event I worked for a company that often won top prises in its category , not that I am cynical but they did sponsor the event but got have got UK's best ……….on all their advertising The average customer has no idea who pays for these things.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
There is only one magazine that gives unbiased reviews.

Having had British caravans with more water in walls than my garden pond there is no way I would waste my hard earned cash on a Brit built van. German vans aren't that expensive if you buy sensibly and don't pay UK inflated prices. Also there are no Brit A class vans built in any quantity and I wouldn't want any other type of van.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
1 My British van is utilised all year round (though obviously not at the moment) with no issues the tank is not inboard but came fitted with an in tank heater system and I have never had any concerns about it freezing or generally about using the van no matter what the temperature was outside. I would also mention here that Bailey took a caravan and a motorhome into the Arctic Circle with no issues.

Would it be fair to say that your winter usage is predominantly/exclusively on sites with EHU?

Otherwise, could you possibly elaborate on your battery bank size, charging arrangements and your endurance?

Ian

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
with no issues the tank is not inboard but came fitted with an in tank heater system and I have never had any concerns about it freezing or generally about using the van no matter what the temperature was outside.
But they take a lot off current don't see how you can last very long before your batteries are flat.
Is the toilet cassette and waste tank heated?
On German vans the tank areas which if not inboard they are fully insulated and together with the cassette are heated by the vans heating system so no problem using off grid in the winter.

Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
I have no reason nor need to question the quality or equipment levels of vans produced in Germany (or any other European country come to that), I would assume there would be a wide range of levels of vans and associated equipment (and probably insulation levels) which would be generally representative of the cost of each make and model.

The van I bought 3 years ago has been well used both on and off grid in both winter and summer and the Alde heating system has always kept it very warm even in very cold weather whilst not on hook up (needless to say using gas for heating and fridge) and as yet I have not had any issue with either fresh or waste water freezing nor have I experienced a frozen cassette I have no idea if the Alde heating is what prevented the tanks freezing or the in tank heating element (that I know to be fitted) though I do know that my batteries have not got fully drained whilst using the van without hookup during the colder months.

The majority of my trips are weekends (sometimes long weekends and the odd week and a bit if I can get away with it if heading up into Scotland) and in all honesty I rarely stay in one place for more than a couple of nights and so far my 110 AH battery and 100 Watt solar panel have been more than up to the task.

If I had more money available would I buy a higher specced continental van, almost certainly but that doesn't mean I am not more than happy with my current perfectly adequate British built van that has proven (in my case) to be exceedingly good value for money.

Last edited:

Deleted User
I wouldn't buy British again, IMO they're a tribute to style over substance.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
When I had a British van the first thing to freeze up was the grey water drainage pipe and tap. Inconvenient. It is little things like having the drain valve inboard where it doesn’t freeze that show that the designers understand the needs of users.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back