StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
On German vans the tank areas which if not inboard they are fully insulated and together with the cassette are heated by the vans heating system so no problem using off grid in the winter.

Just as a complement to try to be fair, this is only true for Hymer, Carthago, Eura Mobil, some few models of Hobby and LMC and probably the very high end like Morelo and Niessman Bischoff. But Dethleffs, Bürstner, Pössl, Globecar, Adria, Knaus only offer electric heating of the waste water tank. Carado and Sunlight don’t offer any waste water tank heating, only insulation.

The German production is pretty diverse but on average of good quality in my opinion. I have not compared with British models because they are not even offered on the continent. I have compared with French and Italian productions and there is an actual big gap in engineering and quality when comparing similarly priced offerings.

I think that the British, by limiting themselves to the UK market, are bound to smaller production runs, which in turn cannot generate enough cash to match the Germans on product development and testing, nor in purchasing power for the many components all manufacturers buy from Fiat, Mercedes, Dometic, Thetford, Truma, Remis, etc... and which make a huge part of the MH cost. Some are now part of Hymer group, I gather, so that might help with procurement at least.

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
I love my Motorhome Benimar Mileo282.
But I did by accident view on YouTube Unity motorhomes,not available here.
Completely made for the customer I think. Over 100,000!!!!!

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
But...but.....OFC British is best, always, no questions asked....what are you, one of those "re-moaners" we hear so much about??!! :dm:

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Well it may be a fixed review but we will probably never know, anyway I will wave the flag for my Brand New British built 2020 Swift Escape saying its well put together and although ive not been able to use it yet rofl:ROFLMAO: everything has been thoroughly tested on my driveway and it all works perfectly and I have no leaks (y)

I wonder how many people on this Forum still think that Harleys leak loads of oil and are poorly built a reputation earned many years ago and so far from todays truth just saying lol

Stay safe regards CJ
Never had a British motorhome but I've had 4 new British caravans. The first, a Swift had a major damp repair at the end of the first year. Three years later it was a write off due to damp. Dealer had gone bust Swift didn't want to know. Next came 2 Baileys, first one damp at the end of the first year, second one (Alutec) major repair at end of first year due to poor design. Finally 2 years ago a new Elddis. That wasn't damp at the end of the first year, it never lasted that long! It started falling apart seriously after the first week of use, and after a month it was a basket case. Even so it took a solicitor and 5 months to get our money back from the cowboy dealer.

I'll stick to my foreign motorhome, That at least has passed its first habitation check with no faults. :dance2:

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
But...but.....OFC British is best, always, no questions asked....what are you, one of those "re-moaners" we hear so much about??!! :dm:
We are all free to express an opinion on what we like or not ......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Never had a British motorhome but I've had 4 new British caravans. The first, a Swift had a major damp repair at the end of the first year. Three years later it was a write off due to damp. Dealer had gone bust Swift didn't want to know. Next came 2 Baileys, first one damp at the end of the first year, second one (Alutec) major repair at end of first year due to poor design. Finally 2 years ago a new Elddis. That wasn't damp at the end of the first year, it never lasted that long! It started falling apart seriously after the first week of use, and after a month it was a basket case. Even so it took a solicitor and 5 months to get our money back from the cowboy dealer.

I'll stick to my foreign motorhome, That at least has passed its first habitation check with no faults. :dance2:
Sadly I think many of our caravan/motorhome manufacturers haven’t learnt from the history of our car and ship building industries. Short term profits based on brand loyalty and patriotic preference are no substitute for proper long term investment and modern design.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
But they take a lot off current don't see how you can last very long before your batteries are flat.
Is the toilet cassette and waste tank heated?
On German vans the tank areas which if not inboard they are fully insulated and together with the cassette are heated by the vans heating system so no problem using off grid in the winter.
Not just German vans Lenny, Slovenian vans too, the Sonic has got all that😊😊 I’m loving having a “proper” van😍😍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back