Motorhomer without a motorhome is cycling with little dog from Nordkapp, Norway to Gibraltar... (1 Viewer)

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
That's me!
I'm presently in Canada, flying to Amsterdam shortly to begin this mad bicycle journey. There's a few Funsters here who know me from my Murvi/Sicily days and asked for a link to my upcoming blog - of course all who are interested are welcome to subscribe and follow it!
After three frigid years in Canada, and once this 4-5 month bike trip is completed, I'll be settling back in the UK. I'll will most certainly be looking for a new MoHo - can't wait to fully rejoin the fold!
All the best, and Happy Spring!!
click on the link below:
https://dogandsnailbiketravels.com/

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Wonderful adventure, brilliant to look back on trips like this, wasn't clear on the link, are you sleeping in a tent every night then?
Where will you be camping, anywhere or campsites?
How much are you budgeting for the whole trip?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
YukonJac

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
Wonderful adventure, brilliant to look back on trips like this, wasn't clear on the link, are you sleeping in a tent every night then?
Where will you be camping, anywhere or campsites?
How much are you budgeting for the whole trip?
Thank you Paul - can't wait to start pedalling! Yes, I'll be mostly wild camping in Scandinavia - completely legal there thanks to the wonderful allemansrätten -'the freedom to roam'. Once past there, I imagine I'll be using campsites when I can and wilding if the opportunity presents itself. Once in a blue moon, I'll use a budget hotel. That'll happen if the weather is terrible for weeks on end, or if I am(or the dog) is unwell. In terms of budget, well, I generally cook my own meals with the occasional restaurant treat - and I'll probably be stopping in a lot of bakeries! We're likely looking at a generous average of €20-25 per day.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Have a fantastic time and good wishes for a safe trip, I’m sure you will collect some amazing memories and meet some very kind people along the way. :)

Do you know anyone in Gibraltar? Any particular reason for that destination?

Last edited:

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Love it!

Well the idea of it anyway. Done almost a month cycle touring but ........... :eek: nothing in your league.

Will follow your blog with interest (y)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
What an epic journey! I'm guessing that it will be well over 4,000 miles - you must be amazingly fit.

Hope you have a wonderful time!

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Good for you!
Hope all goes well and enjoy it.
Shall be keeping an eye on your blog.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Best wishes! It sounds as you have the timing about right, you don't want to be cycling across Spain in the heat of the summer. Might be worth dawdling through Scandinavia and spend the summer there if necessary. :)

OP
OP
YukonJac

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
Have a fantastic time and good wishes for a safe trip, I’m sure you will collect some amazing memories and meet some very kind people along the way. :)

Do you know anyone in Gibraltar? Any particular reason for that destination?
Thank you very much! No particular reason for Gib (and no, I don't know anyone there) except that it's about as far south in Europe as you can get. Most northerly point to most southerly is the general idea, but we shall see. I don't love bike touring in Spain, especially with my dog - not the most dog friendly of European countries. When I cycled the Camino de Santiago many years ago now, I came across several campsites that wouldn't allow her - not great after 100kms in 40c heat! I may totally change my route along the way - just like when I had my motorhome!

Last edited:
OP
OP
YukonJac

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
What an epic journey! I'm guessing that it will be well over 4,000 miles - you must be amazingly fit.

Hope you have a wonderful time!
HA! Not very fit at all - one gets fit along the way. But fortunately, no major health problems - though I just had both my thumbs and a bunch of tendons rebuilt last year due to osteoarthritis - this will definitely test the surgeon's repair!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
YukonJac

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
Best wishes! It sounds as you have the timing about right, you don't want to be cycling across Spain in the heat of the summer. Might be worth dawdling through Scandinavia and spend the summer there if necessary. :)
Thanks John - you've provided me with plenty of inspiration in the past! Yes, I remember cycling in Spain in September in 45c!! Not to worry - I've got a wedding to attend in France along the way which will slow down my arrival in Spain (may end up going to Corsica and Sardinia though - I really can't make my mind up!).
Best to you and your Mrs!

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
As you get towards Nordkapp, be very careful in the long wet hilly tunnels , scarey in a van, but on a push bike ....wow....and you won’t be the only crazy person, we saw many a cyclist, including a welsh man, who cycled from Cardiff to Nordkapp, a long way, but he said he had cheated, he got the train from Portsmouth to London !!!

OP
OP
YukonJac

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
As you get towards Nordkapp, be very careful in the long wet hilly tunnels , scarey in a van, but on a push bike ....wow....and you won’t be the only crazy person, we saw many a cyclist, including a welsh man, who cycled from Cardiff to Nordkapp, a long way, but he said he had cheated, he got the train from Portsmouth to London !!!
Lol!!! Yes, it's a popular long-distance cycling destination. And and the tunnels! The one that worries me most is the 7km one, under the sea to Honningsvåg. Oh my! The gradient getting out is super-steep too. I may be looking for a friendly motorhomer to ferry me through!! That'll be my 'cheat'!

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
If you get here - to Gib - from the autumn onwards, we will probably be here then too. It would be great to have a get-together if we coincide. (Might even let you use our shower after that ride!!)
Best of luck.

OP
OP
YukonJac

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
If you get here - to Gib - from the autumn onwards, we will probably be here then too. It would be great to have a get-together if we coincide. (Might even let you use our shower after that ride!!)
Best of luck.
Lol! We will certainly look you up! For your sakes, a shower will be mandatory. Aside from copious amounts of food, showers are the most precious commodity on a big bike tour!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back