LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
When comparing tyres, watch out for load ratings as a 4 wheel 4000kg will require high ratings. The standard for this size tyre is 108, which is not enough for 4000kg. If it is dual rear wheel or tag axle, you'll likely not need high load ratings and the front axle will be the limiting factor. Make sure you check your maximum axle loadings against a tyre load rating table.

Rather than van tyres, you can use tyres intended for heavy 4WD vehicles. They tend to be a bit noisy compared to pure road tyres and not as fuel efficient, but they will be pretty good off-road and still acceptable on motorways if you're not intending to seriously break the speed limits. I see that you mention the front wheels digging in, so you probably have either 4 wheel FWD, or a FWD tag axle. In both cases, your traction will not be as good as a DRW, where about 70% of the weight is over driven wheels. Instead, you'll have more like 35-45%. But that just means you need all the help you can get, right?

When I had my old DRW Winnebago, I fitted Toyo Open Country All Terrain, which were a great compromise between motorway miles and muddy fields. Be careful, though, as the standard load rating for these tyres is 104. Unless you have DRW or tag axle, you'll need the 115/112 version, which is harder to find and more expensive. You could also try the BF Goodrich 225/75R16/115 T/A KO2.

Both of these tyres have "Mud Terrain" versions in this size as well. They will be pretty miserable on road, but excellent on mud. They'd also stand out and be talking points!

davida71uk

Free Member
Apr 7, 2021
Solihull, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Mohawk
Exp
Fairly New
Hi cmcardle75 , thanks for the reply, it's a 4 wheel 4000kg Ducato, FWD (Autotrail Mohawk '10), so as you say probably more like 35-45%. There is very little over the front axle, well apart from the engine and cab. I keep getting drawn back to the Toyo Open Country over the BF Goodrich purely as the latter looks too off-road orientated but have read on MHF that others have used them to good effect. Also a talking point as you say. Thanks for the advice, I may look again at the Toyo's.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hi cmcardle75 , thanks for the reply, it's a 4 wheel 4000kg Ducato, FWD (Autotrail Mohawk '10), so as you say probably more like 35-45%. There is very little over the front axle, well apart from the engine and cab. I keep getting drawn back to the Toyo Open Country over the BF Goodrich purely as the latter looks too off-road orientated but have read on MHF that others have used them to good effect. Also a talking point as you say. Thanks for the advice, I may look again at the Toyo's.

Just check that rear axle loading. If it is over 2430kg, you're going to struggle to find anything. And with the Toyos, the Open Country is the entire range and it comes in UT, AT and MT versions, which each version getting knobblier than the previous. (Urban Terrain/All Terrain/Mud Terrain).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

davida71uk

Free Member
Apr 7, 2021
Solihull, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Mohawk
Exp
Fairly New
Just check that rear axle loading. If it is over 2430kg, you're going to struggle to find anything. And with the Toyos, the Open Country is the entire range and it comes in UT, AT and MT versions, which each version getting knobblier than the previous. (Urban Terrain/All Terrain/Mud Terrain).

Current CP's are 116 R's. F-2100, R-2400.

1629893482678.png

"Each tyre must have a load capacity equal or superior to half the weight borne by the axle on which it is mounted."

116 = 1250

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back