Motorhome Show NEC questions (1 Viewer)

Lucy

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
Hi, I can see already I'm going to be spending a lot of time on here!

Basic info first, me and hubby have had a VW T5 campervan conversion for the last few years, but have decided to upgrade to a motorhome, probably next year. We have had a quick look around some local dealers etc and I have have fallen in love with the Baileys 75-4, although we will keep looking. Our main criteria is a fixed double bed, and more comfort/kitchen facilities etc than the VW.

We are intending visiting the show in the NEC next month where we will obviously have a good look around all the different makes etc. I was just wondering whether the show is known to be good for getting good deals on new models, or whether it would be better to stick to our local dealer. If we do go for the Bailey 75-4 the list price there is about ÂŁ53,995 plus we would want air con added (Italy was waaaaaay too hot this summer!) Are we likely to get better deals than this or are most dealers around the same sort of ball park figure on new? Do they do "show special" prices? Lastly, what is the sort of lead time when ordering new?

Thanks in anticipation!

Lucy

OP
OP
L

Lucy

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
you dont say where your from lucy but theres the lincoln show this weekend coming

Thanks, we are from South Wales, so I guess the NEC is better for us. Is the Lincoln show a big one? Better than the NEC?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Hi @Lucy & welcome!:hi:
Only new motorhomes at NEC (biggest display in UK :)) & many have at least 6 months lead time so quite different to the regional motorhome shows. It's great for looking at layouts & build quality to see what suits you best even for those who are buying secondhand. If you search on NEC on this forum you will find lots of info. - this is a thread from last year that might help https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/nec-show-october-2016-new-interesting.139219/ & the year before https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/been-to-the-nec-show-whats-new.117465/
Best to go earlier in the week to avoid the crowds & allow a full day or more.
In our experience it is possible to get a better deal as possible to get the manufacturers extras offer plus dealer discount (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Lucy

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
Hi @Lucy & welcome!:hi:
Only new motorhomes at NEC (biggest display in UK :)) & many have at least 6 months lead time so quite different to the regional motorhome shows. It's great for looking at layouts & build quality to see what suits you best even for those who are buying secondhand. If you search on NEC on this forum you will find lots of info. - this is a thread from last year that might help https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/nec-show-october-2016-new-interesting.139219/ & the year before https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/been-to-the-nec-show-whats-new.117465/
Best to go earlier in the week to avoid the crowds & allow a full day or more.
In our experience it is possible to get a better deal as possible to get the manufacturers extras offer plus dealer discount (y)

Thank you! Just read through the 6 pages now and now have about 10 different tabs open on my PC; everything from Doggypoo bags to thermal cookers!

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
A show is a good opportunity to see different models. I don't think you're likely to get a 'bargain' there any more than at other times.
You may be expecting more from air con than it can deliver. I've had two vans with air con. You will need to have EHU to use it and it's likely to be too noisy for use while asleep. We hardly ever used it and opened vents instead.

Upvote 0

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
See what the prices are at the show, and use that as your starting price at the dealers.
I asked a few dealers about the show price and they said they would match that in showroom.
Also the NEC is hot and busy when buying you need time and be relaxed to ensure you get what you want, rather than making a hurried snap decision.
The NEC is very good to look at various options to cement ideas, although they might not have the model you are thinking of getting.
Last year we wanted to compare 2 same manufacture but different sizes 6.5 and 7m, the 7m was not in the show but we ended up over the next few months deciding the 7.5m was our preferred choice.
So as I said it's a good way to look and decide although it is a long day especially if you get side tracked.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The only aircon you can sleep with and cools the whole van is the type that is fitted low down and distributed throughout the van like these https://www.truma.com/int/en/products/truma-air-conditioning/truma-saphir-comfort-rc.html
The roof mount ones are very noisy compared to these types.
I have had the truma distributed system and it is very quiet and does the job.
Would I have another? No, thermal window blinds and fans combined with opening windows and doors would suit me. Saves the payload, space and doesn't need mains hook up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back