Motorhome recovery from Santander to UK following breakdown, any recommendations (1 Viewer)

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Hi
Unfortunately, the clutch went, and the breakdown service won't recover to the UK. They insist on knowing how much the cost of repair is in Spain, before considering which is most cost effective.
The garage have said they want 10 hours labour, paid upfront, to take out the gearbox, before being able to quote for a repair.
Kath would have to pay this herself, with no guarantee that it can be fixed
Kath came home in my van, leaving hers there, because she has a family emergency to deal with as well.
It has been an awful experience.
Can anyone recommend a recovery firm, or an idea of what it would cost, to being the van back, on a truck.
If she has to pay loads with no guarantee of su cess, better to pay to get it home to a trustworthy garage.
The van is 2001 Swift Kontiki, 7m, 3.5 ton.

Thanks

Karen

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Might be a long shot try British Expat Forum

Or this one

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
Won't help the OP but if my clutch went I would try driving anyway.
I have done this a couple of times once from Derby to Bristol.
It has to be done when the roads are quiet, using main roads or motorways as much as possible.
Start the vehicle in gear, match engine revs with gearbox when changing gear, stay well back from other traffic to avoid unnecessary gear changes. If you have to stop try and do so on a slope so you can bump start...
Might not work on my MH but I would give it a go (y)
Used to not bother with clutch a lot of times in the works van. Maneuvering in a ferry queue and on a ferry would be very difficult.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 10, 2015
East sussex
Funster No
MH
2002 Eura mobile
Exp
Since 2014
Have you got this mechanics contact details please?
Sure. Db auto mechanics.they did a great job. Very quick & professional. My mates van was a 55 plate ducato camper.

IMG_0316.png

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back