Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi All
although I have an Easylifter hydratrail and carry a small 250 Suzuki I was thinking of biting the bullet and going for a trailer perhaps a motolug as it can be dismantled and stored in the back of my estate car, and can carry my Triumph America which is what I want with me on my travels. I live in a housing association flat so nowhere to put a trailer.
My question is as I’ve never towed a trailer like this before is it inclined to snaking like caravans and if so how do you control it.
Towing a caravan some years ago they had anti snaking devices and from what I understand it’s now included in the tow hitch itself.
So will I need such a device for a motorbike trailer or not.
Many Thanks Tony

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
A lightweight trailer like a bike trailer should give you no problems at all. They don't have anti-snaking devices fitted, but don't really need them either.

It tends to be trailers that are much closer to the weight of the towing vehicle that have problems, especially if badly loaded - caravans with not enough noseweight due to bad loading being the classic one.

If the tail is nearly as heavy as the dog, the tail can wag and so does the dog!

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@Brakers
If you have the Hydra Trail, (like us), you will be used to “easy” reversing as a result of the rigid link.

Conventional trailers are fine, and unlikely to snake, even without a stabiliser, but reversing is a different matter.

Caravans are fairly easy to reverse as a result of the length of the A frame. Small trailers, like m/bike trailers, tend to jack knife easily when reversing. When you have plenty of time it’s fine. In a hurry it can be awkward.

Having towed Caravans, and bike trailers, I prefer the rigid HydraTrail system even though I have a HGV licence.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
@maison I agree with all you said but if I could find a traverse trailer like hydratrail which can take 270kg with easy loading then I would go that way, but as yet I have yet to find one.
Best Wishes Tony

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@Brakers
Sorry, didn’t spot the comment regarding the heavier bike. We only carry a scooter at 130kgs. so plenty of spare capacity.

Best wishes for safe towing!:)(y)

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I find the key to reversing is having a point towards the back of the trailer on both sides that you can see in your mirrors. It also gives me reassurance when driving forwards to be able to see that the trailer is tracking nice & straight behind me! If I had a trailer that is narrower than the van then I'd be tempted to fit something across the back end with marker lights at each end that I can see in the mirrors.

Maison is spot on, the shorter the trailer the harder it is to reverse, and with a van the long overhang beyond the rear axle can't help. Not impossible though with practice - I've got a 8'x4' box trailer that's not much longer than a motorbike trailer, I can reverse that OK.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Yo remourques in france do one similar to the easy lifter which can carry 260kgs it might be worth an email to see what they think about the extra 10kgs. They are expensive though.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
The trick with a bike trailer is to have a long a frame and set the wheels back it aids in the reversing as the longer the trailer the slower the kick round . The only thing is to not exceed the noseweight limit on the tow bar , but if you are carrying a particular bike you can set up to suit . You will also find it very stable at speed and unlikely to get into a snake as polar moments are not balanced .
If you get my drift .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back