Free Member
Aug 19, 2018
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro
Exp
25 years
Hi everyone, I know this has been covered before, but I don’t think it has been explained fully how.
Please if you aren’t into towing a trailer behind a motorhome, don’t respond unless you have something constructive to say.
I have just come out of a serious operation and I need additional help in moving the trailer, sometimes in awkward situations and I was thinking of fitting a motor mover, after some investigations and eliminations ( motor jockey wheel, works only on flat ground) I thought fitting a mover, but it doesn’t have the same sub frame system. I wondered if anyone has adapted one to fit on a trailer, what adaptation was made and the complexed fitting it would need, eg cross bracing fitted or removed etc....
Kind regards TrevChrizy

Attachments

• EE634128-41C8-473B-9D19-70DC4CD086BC.jpeg
    EE634128-41C8-473B-9D19-70DC4CD086BC.jpeg
    516.9 KB · Views: 38
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I don't know if it helps or what they usually cost but I've just seen one at Aldi online for £500

Upvote 0
Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
I fitted a a used (£200 of ebay) caravan motor mover onto a trailer tent ALKO chassis. Just needed two plates made up, drilled and bolted to chassis and worked a treat.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TrevChrizy

TrevChrizy

Free Member
Aug 19, 2018
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro
Exp
25 years
I don't know if it helps or what they usually cost but I've just seen one at Aldi online for £500
I friend had pointed that out to me, I haven’t followed it up until I had a few responses back to see if it’s the way to go, thanks Wino👍

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I have seen a couple of trailers with motor movers but not really paid any attention to how they were fitted. Seems like a sound idea, best of luck!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TrevChrizy

TrevChrizy

Free Member
Aug 19, 2018
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro
Exp
25 years
I fitted a a used (£200 of ebay) caravan motor mover onto a trailer tent ALKO chassis. Just needed two plates made up, drilled and bolted to chassis and worked a treat.
That’s something I considered, wasn’t sure how strong that would be, I presume you didn’t use the cross bracers, but straight onto the plates you had made? Excellent, thanks Clivefog😉

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TrevChrizy

TrevChrizy

Free Member
Aug 19, 2018
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro
Exp
25 years
All the info is in my post above 👍
Just had a look through your info post, excellently thought through, great detail, have you come across purple motor movers, they have a system, not sure how long it’s been in use? It’s called plug and play, very expensive, but I like the idea behind it, instead of being a static system, it can be removed off of fixed brackets and stored away, the battery comes in the pack, sometimes the cheapest options aren’t the best, but being wise is better, so if anyone has had any dealings with this system, your thoughts would be helpful, thanks for that dpsuk999 🤔

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Remember you'll also need somewhere to install a battery and a method of charging. Given the usage profile, I'd suggest a small LiFePO4 will be less hassle than a lead acid. You need to check the discharge rate of the BMS and ensure its peak discharge is greater than the peak mover current and its normal discharge rate is greater than the average mover current. However, you can go for a very low Ah rating (I'd think 20Ah would be enough), so it should be too expensive. In return, you'll get a battery with an extremely low self discharge rate, so you can leave your trailer parked up for months and not return to a knackered battery.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I wonder if you could just rig up jump leads off the car battery if you're only moving it a few feet?
On second thoughts it sounds a bit dodgy.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Easy way to charge it is via a 13 pin caravan socket wired as though the trailer was a caravan. My (designed but not yet installed) method of installation is to fit each mover separately - no cross-tube. The mmvr box section is cut short and terminated in a plate that bolts to the chassis. The upper surface of the box section is bolted up to the trailer bed via another plate. Fitting as on a caravan places the mmvr much lower than it needs to be IMO.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
TrevChrizy

TrevChrizy

Free Member
Aug 19, 2018
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro
Exp
25 years
I wonder if you could just rig up jump leads off the car battery if you're only moving it a few feet?
I think Wino a box is used to fit the battery in and fitted to the A frame of the trailer, it might get a bit tangled if you have a lead to the battery on the car while moving the trailer, although thinking about it, that’s a good point though👍

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think Wino a box is used to fit the battery in and fitted to the A frame of the trailer, it might get a bit tangled if you have a lead to the battery on the car while moving the trailer, although thinking about it, that’s a good point though👍
I just thought that the car battery is likely to be well charged up. As long as it's only going to be moved on the motor mover for a short distance it seems daft fitting a battery to carry a thing with a battery in it!.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TrevChrizy

TrevChrizy

Free Member
Aug 19, 2018
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro
Exp
25 years
I just thought that the car battery is likely to be well charged up. As long as it's only going to be moved on the motor mover for a short distance it seems daft fitting a battery to carry a thing with a battery in it!.
Thinking more it makes sense, not sure we’re not left any thoughts of the implications this would coarse?
Just surprised no one’s thought of it before 🤪

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I wouldn't use jump leads but an Anderson connector would do the job with the engine running.
Anderson connector could be hidden under the bonnet or accessible from outside.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Easy way to charge it is via a 13 pin caravan socket wired as though the trailer was a caravan. My (designed but not yet installed) method of installation is to fit each mover separately - no cross-tube. The mmvr box section is cut short and terminated in a plate that bolts to the chassis. The upper surface of the box section is bolted up to the trailer bed via another plate. Fitting as on a caravan places the mmvr much lower than it needs to be IMO.
I doubt very much a 13 pin plug and socket would carry the amperage needed.

Oops, just realised you mean to charge the battery, not run the mover.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Is your trailer from Phoenix Trailers? If so they do supply a motor mover system but it’s eyewateringly expensive imo. I haven’t tried moving my trailer with the car on it but when I do move it I lift the front axle off the ground using the jockey wheel.

63237BB7-4C0E-43AE-8984-F7030CEE4ABE.jpeg

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
<Broken link removed>
I have BJ car trailer with Movers fitted and fitted one of these on top of the battery box and its worked for a number of years without letting me down. Simple but effective and cheap.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TrevChrizy

TrevChrizy

Free Member
Aug 19, 2018
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro
Exp
25 years
<Broken link removed>
I have BJ car trailer with Movers fitted and fitted one of these on top of the battery box and its worked for a number of years without letting me down. Simple but effective and cheap.
I did go on phoenixes web page and yes your correct, they do fit a mover on there trailer. I sent them an email to see if they could give me more information, what type mover etc, as yet no reply. I’ve come up with another problem, as demonstrated on there twin axle, they have fitted a single mover onto the rear tyre, looking at my rear tyre the mudguard will be a problem!

Attachments

• CB256971-892E-4D0B-8C87-16A8CA1A9C0A.jpeg
    CB256971-892E-4D0B-8C87-16A8CA1A9C0A.jpeg
    479.7 KB · Views: 16
Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
You are right, as it is the mudguard/flap certainly looks as though it will interfere with fitting. I do not think fitting to the front axle is ideal, so a re-jig of the mudguard would be needed. Not a huge problem but not easy to get it looking good.
Obviously before you rule out any mover you need detailed specs and dimensions. You never know, there may be room.

Geoff

Upvote 0

Flair 7100i

Free Member
Aug 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 7100i
Exp
Since 2004
Hi there I recently purchased a Bantam trailer to tow my smart car and fitted to it was a CT1500 Camper trolley which is operated by remote control. If you go to WWW.mover-technology.com you will find them there.. Good luck Ray

Upvote 0

Flair 7100i

Free Member
Aug 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 7100i
Exp
Since 2004
A picture of the motor mover

Attachments

• IMG_20210405_160528.jpg
    IMG_20210405_160528.jpg
    571.1 KB · Views: 13
Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
If it works as well as shown on their web page then it is brilliant. But you have a twin axle trailer, probably about 75g of nose weight. You will need to both transport the mover and fit it every time you wish to move the trailer. You will not be able to leave it fitted, because if you do it will disappear overnight. Most club sites are course gravel, not ideal for that type of mover. Have you tried to steer a twin axle trailer? They just do not want to turn, so you would need to unload the front axle by raising the tow hitch. Not ideal if you have health problems.

I am not knocking this type of mover, but have tried several over the years and found they were all rubbish when faced with twin axles, gravel surface, low nose weight and sloping ground. I have seen caravans run away down slopes with these devices following.

Geoff

Upvote 0

Flair 7100i

Free Member
Aug 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 7100i
Exp
Since 2004
My bantam trailer is single axle and works no problem. I agree yes you have to remove it if you leave your trailer parked up but it is easy to remove and reconnect when necessary.

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
CI Cipro 85
Exp
im a newbie
Hi, I had a problem moving our trailer, I used a Mr shifta caravan mover which I found easy to use. Once you got the knack of using it. Having sold the trailer and my motorhome, it is for sale. Last year it had a new battery and a reconditioned motor controller. £ 300.
I used this because it did not put any extra weight on the trailer.

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi, I had a problem moving our trailer, I used a Mr shifta caravan mover which I found easy to use. Once you got the knack of using it. Having sold the trailer and my motorhome, it is for sale. Last year it had a new battery and a reconditioned motor controller. £ 300.
I used this because it did not put any extra weight on the trailer.
Sorry, how does that help, you would still need to take it with you to move the trailer on site. Also Mr Shifta is a heavy bit of kit and likely to be too much for the OP.
Also, was your trailer a twin axle car trailer weighing in at a tonne and a half?

I have used Mr Shifta movers and they are quite good for single axle trailer/caravans on good hard surface. Show them a bit of gravel, mud or grass combined with twin axle trailer and they are next best thing to useless, even dangerous in some scenarios.

Geoff

Upvote 0

Flair 7100i

Free Member
Aug 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 7100i
Exp
Since 2004
I don't have a problem taking it with me and I put it in the garage and use it as and when required. I only use the trailer when travelling to Europe as I use an A frame in the UK.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back