Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi, I'm a newbie full timer, could anyone recommend a decent sat nav..kind regards

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
I got a Garmin camper 770 and can’t fault it. Put in dimensions of camper etc. Took us all through France and Spain and Uk the last year and done us proud. (y)

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
I use the Avtex Tourer One Caravan and Motorhome Club Edition Sat Nav

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
You will get as many recommendations as there are SatNavs, folk will generally suggest the one they are using.

Best to list what you want it to do, many devices do more than just take you to from A to B.. good luck.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Google Maps. Recently upgraded from using my phone on a mount to streaming it to a Sony XAV-AX100 head unit via Android Auto.

Advantages:
-Always up to date
-The best real time traffic information and dynamic re-routing
-The best points search
-Scarily good estimated time of arrival
-Showing 'similar ETA' routes on the map continuously is really useful when you're in urban streets or about to go down a narrow country lane

Disadvantages:
-Doesn't know about height or weight restrictions
-Lose some functionality when offline**

**If you've planned a route and you lose a connection it's not an issue. It's also pretty smart about continuing a journey. And you can download areas in advance and it will journey plan without the internet. However, if you start a journey offline, the points of interest search isn't as smart and the routing seems to be pretty basic. This isn't normally an issue as it'll fix itself seamlessly when it gets a signal. I carry a paper road atlas for backup, but I've never needed it.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We are fans of the C&MC promoted Garmin Camper 770.

With the preloaded ACSI sites and C&MC sites, as well as the ability to enter your motorhome dimensions, switching the SatNav from m/h to car takes a couple of seconds.

We have been using it now for four years and it has never let us down. We have noticed that it sometimes seems to add a few miles to avoid perceived problems that we feel may not necessarily need to avoid but it has never taken us to a too low bridge or other danger. A previous model (Chinese) led us down a fairly narrow road to be confronted with a bridge too low to get under and no place to turn. A long reverse followed by a multi point turn put me off it forever.

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
We are fans of the C&MC promoted Garmin Camper 770.

With the preloaded ACSI sites and C&MC sites, as well as the ability to enter your motorhome dimensions, switching the SatNav from m/h to car takes a couple of seconds.

We have been using it now for four years and it has never let us down. We have noticed that it sometimes seems to add a few miles to avoid perceived problems that we feel may not necessarily need to avoid but it has never taken us to a too low bridge or other danger. A previous model (Chinese) led us down a fairly narrow road to be confronted with a bridge too low to get under and no place to turn. A long reverse followed by a multi point turn put me off it forever.
Same experience as us. We also added the camping and caravan club sites

Appollo51

Free Member
Dec 29, 2018
Porth
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Since 2009
I've been using the snooper no problems yet very reliable. Not the cheapest but you get what you pay for .loads preloaded and size and weight

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Hi, I'm a newbie full timer, could anyone recommend a decent sat nav..kind regards
I have cheap Chinese one, bought in 2015. It was quite good but not used since I got the Garmin 760LMT-D as a gift in 2016. My 2018 Fiat has Tom Tom and it is not as good as the Garmin in my opinion.

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have cheap Chinese one, bought in 2015. It was quite good but not used since I got the Garmin 760LMT-D as a gift in 2016. My 2018 Fiat has Tom Tom and it is not as good as the Garmin in my opinion.
I seem to be leaning towards the Garmin after reading the reviews..

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I seem to be leaning towards the Garmin after reading the reviews..
I have the Garmin, great piece of kit. I have one really strong piece of advice. Whichever sat nav you buy, read the instructions over and over and practice until you are really and truly familiar with how it operates and how to get the best out of it and have an occasional refresh. You will save yourself a lot of anguish.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I have the Garmin, great piece of kit. I have one really strong piece of advice. Whichever sat nav you buy, read the instructions over and over and practice until you are really and truly familiar with how it operates and how to get the best out of it and have an occasional refresh. You will save yourself a lot of anguish.

This is very true

The simple navigation is the easy bit. You need to know how to use it when you come across something unexpected and need to quickly reroute or to avoid a certain road. Not easy on the fly when you are driving a larger vehicle

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Whichever sat nav you buy, read the instructions over and over and practice until you are really and truly familiar with how it operates
This is the best and most important advice you will get.

So many people don't get the best from their devices.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
This is the best and most important advice you will get.

So many people don't get the best from their devices.

I only wish there was a "wife" manual. Other devices I can deal with (y)

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I have the Garmin. A tip for you if you get this one. When you put your weight into it put more than 3.5 tonnes as if you put 3.5 tonnes or under it thinks it's in a car and takes no notice of you dimensions.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I have the Garmin. A tip for you if you get this one. When you put your weight into it put more than 3.5 tonnes as if you put 3.5 tonnes or under it thinks it's in a car and takes no notice of you dimensions.
But don't make it more than 7.5t as it starts shouting at you when you exceed the speed limit for HGV's on that specific road!:doh:

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
I've not heard of that, will it then avoid bridges with a 3.5 tonne weight limit?, I wouldn't like that..

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I now have a Garmin Camper 760LMT up for grabs if anyone is interested pm me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back