MOT Corrosion Failures when buying a used motorhome (1 Viewer)

davem22

Free Member
Feb 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
none
Hi fun motorhomers!

I am a first time buyer, my partner and I are going to get a second hand motorhome and live in it, we have a £15k budget. When looking in that price range I've noticed that quite a few have previously failed an MOT for corrosion, which is noted as a concern for the structure of the vehicle
examples such as
  • Nearside Front Vehicle structure corroded to the extent that the rigidity of the assembly is significantly reduced (6.1.1 (c) (i))
  • Offside Front Vehicle structure corroded to the extent that the rigidity of the assembly is significantly reduced (6.1.1 (c) (i))
  • Offside Front Cab or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of a cab mounting 2 places (6.2.2 (d) (i))
Im planning to get a reliable mechanic to check over anything before we buy, but just wondering if its worth looking at motorhomes that have these sorts of failures in the past (and have subsequently been fixed) , or if its better to steer clear. In this price range it seems common.

Any advice or thoughts are greatly appreciated

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Welcome. The problem is that the mot gives generic statements, so IMHO Without seeing the actual site of the work and more importantly how well or not it has been repaired it is a difficult question to answer.

I guess any motorhome for around that figure is going to have had a few bits patched.

welding on chassis and body work may be easier to fix than say extensive damp and rot in the habitation structure which the MOT is unlikely to note.

good luck with your searching.

Upvote 0

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Be careful even if repaired. Especially so if someone has squirted waxoyl or something similar inside the box sections. Will make any future weld repair a real fire risk. At £15,000 you will find a good van if you keep looking. Do not be in a hurry as we may still be in lockdown this summer. If so prices of used vans may drop. Folk who have just bought new will resist any lowering of the price for their van until forced to do in the following years. Many who can afford new vans may find motorhoming is not for them, especially when they realise true wild camping is a myth in the UK. They will move onto hotels as probably cheaper in the long run.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I use to restore classic cars before the knees played up (I stick to motorbikes at waist level on a lifting bench now) and there's rarely an end to chasing rust - it's like trying to repair a digestive biscuit.
Even more problematic (aka expensive) with a m/home as there's the possibility that internal furniture, fittings, pipes and floor coverings may need to be removed either to obtain access or prevent fire before any welding is done,

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

davem22

Free Member
Feb 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
none
Thanks Phill D , much appreciated , that's what I wanted to know really. If everything inside is sound and its one we want, its seems worth going through the process of getting a mechanic to look at previous fixes of this nature, to see how well they've been done, many thanks!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

davem22

Free Member
Feb 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
none
Be careful even if repaired. Especially so if someone has squirted waxoyl or something similar inside the box sections. Will make any future weld repair a real fire risk. At £15,000 you will find a good van if you keep looking. Do not be in a hurry as we may still be in lockdown this summer. If so prices of used vans may drop. Folk who have just bought new will resist any lowering of the price for their van until forced to do in the following years. Many who can afford new vans may find motorhoming is not for them, especially when they realise true wild camping is a myth in the UK. They will move onto hotels as probably cheaper in the long run.
Hi 68c thanks for your reply. Its good to know that we can get something good within that sort of price range, and that a good point about prices in the summer too

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

davem22

Free Member
Feb 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
none
I use to restore classic cars before the knees played up (I stick to motorbikes at waist level on a lifting bench now) and there's rarely an end to chasing rust - it's like trying to repair a digestive biscuit.
Even more problematic (aka expensive) with a m/home as there's the possibility that internal furniture, fittings, pipes and floor coverings may need to be removed either to obtain access or prevent fire before any welding is done,
thanks Spriddler that's really good to know

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I know more than average about motorhomes and vehicles in general, having bought and sold many. I would not spend good money on a van with a history of rust serious enough to affect the structure and safety of the vehicle. A proper repair is definitely not going to be cheap, it will take a massive amount of work

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

davem22

Free Member
Feb 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
none
I know more than average about motorhomes and vehicles in general, having bought and sold many. I would not spend good money on a van with a history of rust serious enough to affect the structure and safety of the vehicle. A proper repair is definitely not going to be cheap, it will take a massive amount of work
thanks TheBig1 . I think that's sound advice regarding any rust affecting structural integrity. It's difficult to know exactly descriptions like 'offside front vehicle structure' mean, and if it could be something that easily fixable..guess I'll find out when I have a look :)

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
thanks TheBig1 . I think that's sound advice regarding any rust affecting structural integrity. It's difficult to know exactly descriptions like 'offside front vehicle structure' mean, and if it could be something that easily fixable..guess I'll find out when I have a look :)
offside vehicle structure will be rot near to suspension mounting points. Fixing means dismantling all the components in the area. Cutting out all the rust, remanufacturing the rusty section, welding the part in, painting to prevent further rust, then rebuilding using new components if needed. Not a cheap patch

• Informative
Reactions: f6c
Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My opinion is once it has rust no matter how well repaired it will simply rust elsewhere.

A workmate has a Ford Sierra and EVERY year it cost hundreds in welding to get it tested.
Eventually he listened to what folks told him and sold it.

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
A friend of mine is a vehicle restorer cum welder. He is always wary of motorhomes that require welding. The big problem being access and what is behind the panels in the way of insulation and furniture or carpets.
I have seen a van conversion that had a leaking shower tray. It rotted the wooden floor and the the van floor near to a rear spring hanger. To repair this meant taking the entire bathroom out before he could start the welding.
My Duetto had to have the bench seat removed to weld the side and floor around the water heater.
I spent a fortune on welding the Duetto just to get it through the MOT. A year later it needed more welding. It takes a lot to stop the rot once it sets in.

Upvote 0
Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
A friend owned a Fiat Ducato for several years, the outside of the van look very tidy, however in 2016 when the mot was due he spent £1100 having the corroded front chassis repaired, the following year another £900 on welding to get it through an MOT
My advice would be have any future purchase professionally inspected before you buy !

Upvote 0

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
we traded our van as i was sick to death chasing the rust,(I was a car restorer) even the main engine cradle was corroded so be very wary of corrosion, it will bite you financially,

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I went to the Rover production line as a trade visit. The guy rust proofing stood with spray gun in both hands and sprayed the underside of a car as it passed over him. Some poor unsuspecting customers will wonder why there Rovers were rotting so fast.
I was told years ago to look at older models of the van you’re going to buy to see were they rust. A builders van will be a good one to check because they seem to the most unloved and abused vans.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back