MOT confusion (1 Viewer)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Here's an interesting one. Our MOT is due by end of April, I had booked it into the garage way back end of Jan for next week. I rang the garage to cancel the booking because of CV_19 and the guy at the other end, while being nice about it warned me "mind, don't drive it as if anything is wrong with it the insurance will be void" which was almost like a gentle threat ? Because you could make that statement on the day after getting a new MOT.

Yes, knowingly driving a vehicle with dodgy tyres for instance makes it un-roadworthy and I'm sure the insurance would not be happy, but if the MOT is legally extended then those mechanical parts which need expert inspection to prove they are faulty surely could not be attributed to the owner if they were indeed faulty ?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Here's an interesting one. Our MOT is due by end of April, I had booked it into the garage way back end of Jan for next week. I rang the garage to cancel the booking because of CV_19 and the guy at the other end, while being nice about it warned me "mind, don't drive it as if anything is wrong with it the insurance will be void" which was almost like a gentle threat ? Because you could make that statement on the day after getting a new MOT.

Yes, knowingly driving a vehicle with dodgy tyres for instance makes it un-roadworthy and I'm sure the insurance would not be happy, but if the MOT is legally extended then those mechanical parts which need expert inspection to prove they are faulty surely could not be attributed to the owner if they were indeed faulty ?
I think the garage are probably short of business

Aug 16, 2018
West Wiltshire
Funster No
Exp
Long time
If you take a vehicle and for not and it fails, then it is deemed to be unroadworthy, then you get the insurance problems.
The trouble at the moment is getting some spares, or those that are around are being inflated in price quietly.
I personally would wait until getting back to some form of normality before going for an mot, if it fails and no spares, you cannot use the vehicle legally, and it would be registered as an mot failure.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
If you take a vehicle and for not and it fails, then it is deemed to be unroadworthy, then you get the insurance problems.
The trouble at the moment is getting some spares, or those that are around are being inflated in price quietly.
I personally would wait until getting back to some form of normality before going for an mot, if it fails and no spares, you cannot use the vehicle legally, and it would be registered as an mot failure.
and that's the reason son postponed his booked MOT appointment (as per post #4).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back