MOT and emissions on a 14 year old van? (1 Viewer)

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
Our Autocruise pug 2.8 hdi is due for it's MOT next week. I'm concerned about failure on emissions, as it's an older van. A friend suggested giving it a good long drive before the test, but as it goes in early that could be difficult.

Any suggestions or are we on the downward slope towards getting a car and using self-catering accommodation. Any advice welcome. Our van is a 54 plate with 106,000 miles on the clock.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We have a FIAT 2.8jtd.(2003). At that age the emissions standards are not as high as for much newer (class 4,5 and6) vehicles.

3 years ago the emissions passed but the tester said they were marginal. He said to give the engine a 'blast' prior to bringing it for next MOT, which I have done for the past two MOTs and it has passed with excellent results.

It does not need a long run - just get it onto a M/way or dual carriageway, get the engine up to operating temperature then speed up to 60-65mph in 3rd gear, making sure you have revs up around 3500-4000 but do not over rev.

Last time I did it I only kept it like that for 1/2 mile or so. Did the trick.

Geoff

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We have a FIAT 2.8jtd.(2003). At that age the emissions standards are not as high as for much newer (class 4,5 and6) vehicles.

3 years ago the emissions passed but the tester said they were marginal. He said to give the engine a 'blast' prior to bringing it for next MOT, which I have done for the past two MOTs and it has passed with excellent results.

It does not need a long run - just get it onto a M/way or dual carriageway, get the engine up to operating temperature then speed up to 60-65mph in 3rd gear, making sure you have revs up around 3500-4000 but do not over rev.

Geoff
Exactly.... a few miles at decent revs to thoroughly warm it up and "clear the tubes" is usually all that is needed.

A.K.A. "Italian tune up"

NickandClair

Free Member
Apr 30, 2018
Taunton, Somerset
Funster No
MH
The Dark Side!!!!
Exp
Since 2001
I would make sure that things like fuel filters/air filters have all been changed recently, then prior to test make sure the engine is as hot as it can be. I know this might be difficult, but try to time your run before the booking time of the MOT, to avoid the engine cooling down. An annual squirt of diesel engine cleaner never does any harm (make sure it's CAT/DPF safe), as our quality of diesel (especially from the supermarkets) isn't fantastic.

OP
OP
Foxy1956
Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years

Geoff
Living in north Norfolk, fast roads area rarity, but thanks for the encouraging advice. I'll give it a try on the A140, tractors permitting.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Foxy1956
Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
I would make sure that things like fuel filters/air filters have all been changed recently, then prior to test make sure the engine is as hot as it can be. I know this might be difficult, but try to time your run before the booking time of the MOT, to avoid the engine cooling down. An annual squirt of diesel engine cleaner never does any harm (make sure it's CAT/DPF safe), as our quality of diesel (especially from the supermarkets) isn't fantastic.
I only buy BP diesel now. Many thanks.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014

Geoff

Did the same ! I hope mine (1991) will still pass its MOT!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I only buy BP diesel now. Many thanks.
I would politely take issue with that. The quality of supermarket fuels exceed the EN590 pan european standard in the same way as branded fuel does. If you stand outside a tank terminal such as Vopak on the Thames you will see the tankers loading fuel on the same loading racks from the same tankage for supermarkets as they do for others. It is the same blend; the only difference being a few ppm of additives dreamed up by the marketing department to give "up to" 20 miles per tank full etc. I've been in fuels and fuel quality for the last 30 years and standard fuel is very hard to blend other than almost the same ratio of components no matter who does it, if they want to a) meet the spec and b) not throw money away. The super fuels such as VPower etc are totally different and will give better performance

I'm not going to get into a discussion on supermarket fuels as it has been done to death but if supermarket fuel isn't any good, I would ask these questions.....

1. If it is crap then why do they sell so much and dominate the market?
  2. Why aren't the roads clogged with broken down vehicles?
  3. Why aren't HMRC crawling all over them?
  4. Why aren't trading standards taking action against them for substandard fuels?
There are occasional hiccups such as the gasoline incident about 14 years ago, where due to human error diesel anti foaming additive was injected into gasoline but these are very rare.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Sprinter
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Good servicing, filters ,as already said a good run at high revs adatives all help know anyone with heating oil (not cherry) :whistle:
Engine up to temp ,good luck.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
My 2005 Caddy van had a number in a circle on the vin plate and because of this it had the meet the readings given on the plate and not the general one for its age.

But as said before Italian tune up and clean air filter should see you pass.

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
I own an mot station and we fail very very few diesels on emissions if you know the tester this can help ask him to be as gentle as possible when blipping the throttle to the point where it's just enough to register it and not to plant his foot to the floor

I wouldn't worry too much my money would be on it passing as we fail less then 0.5% of diesels on emissions

Good luck

OP
OP
Foxy1956
Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
I own an mot station and we fail very very few diesels on emissions if you know the tester this can help ask him to be as gentle as possible when blipping the throttle to the point where it's just enough to register it and not to plant his foot to the floor

I wouldn't worry too much my money would be on it passing as we fail less then 0.5% of diesels on emissions

Good luck
Many thanks. A friend was saying that I might have to sell the van if the jets needed replacing because the cost would be to high to be viable.

Ebby

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Rapido 787f
Exp
Since June 2004
My 2009 2.3, Fiat at 29000 miles failed on emissions,it as regular services and I always use Esso or equivalent fuel.The garage advised a bottle of Forte fuel additive and give it a good run,holding the revs in each gear for a few seconds. Took it back for retest and it passed.

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Many thanks. A friend was saying that I might have to sell the van if the jets needed replacing because the cost would be to high to be viable.

Not a chance if it does fail go to a local motor factors add some fuel treatment to your diesel tank, take it for a run keeping the revs high and this will clean the injectors DO NOT pay for some silly machine that does the same for about £250 if the garage offers you this its a gimmick and a bottle of fuel treatment will do the same job.

Edit
Ebby beat me too it (y)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Do you have your last mot certificate with emissions test attached? If so, it will give you a good idea what the emissions are likely to be on the next test. Our previous 21 year old Swift with 2.5 tdi engine passed all its mots with very low emissions despite creating a cloud of smoke on startup when it was cold.
On older diesels ( not sure if yours is old enough) the vin plate should show the maximum emissions. Ours said 1.8 ( of something) and it always passed around 0.2. I made sure the engine was well up to temperature and put a couple of cans of Wynn’s diesel treatment in a few days before the test, though I don’t think this did anything to lower emissions.

OP
OP
Foxy1956
Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
Do you have your last mot certificate with emissions test attached? If so, it will give you a good idea what the emissions are likely to be on the next test. Our previous 21 year old Swift with 2.5 tdi engine passed all its mots with very low emissions despite creating a cloud of smoke on startup when it was cold.
On older diesels ( not sure if yours is old enough) the vin plate should show the maximum emissions. Ours said 1.8 ( of something) and it always passed around 0.2. I made sure the engine was well up to temperature and put a couple of cans of Wynn’s diesel treatment in a few days before the test, though I don’t think this did anything to lower emissions.
Thanks Alanm, I have all the MOT certificates, I'll have a look.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Once again i have to promote FORTE
Fuel treatment
only available at Garages
I got mine for my old van off fleabay..... though as you say it not a retail product for Joe public.

Completely agree with you - have heard nothing but good about it from public and garage people for cleaning up the engine and lowering emissions (y)

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Living in north Norfolk, fast roads area rarity, but thanks for the encouraging advice. I'll give it a try on the A140, tractors permitting.

Just to clarify.....you don’t need to go fast. You should get the engine up to normal temperature then hold revs up,maybe hold in third gear,for a good stretch. My money is on there being no problem. Good luck.

OP
OP
Foxy1956
Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
Thanks for all your positive posts. I'll ignore friend Andrew. This is a wonderful forum.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
To all those of a nervous disposition, Go get the Popcorn.

This isn't a "Brother of an Uncles best mates cousin" opinion. This was told to me by the MOT Tester when I took my 2002 163hp V6 Audi A6 in with about 130,000 on the clock.

After it had passed the Test (incl) emissions he said, We've never had emissions SO LOW on a car with similar mileage. What are you doing to it.

"Nothing says I, other than putting 250ml of Two stroke into 50Lts of Diesel when I tow the, shhhhh Caravan" (Holds head in shame)

I appreciate that there are naysayers??? who will say the Earth will go flat and Life will end as we know it by using 2 stroke but I couldn't give any other reason for the low score. After all, what is Forte additive (other Brands may be available) if it's not something that gets rid of the grunge in a diesel. Apparently, just like 2 Stroke.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Exactly.... a few miles at decent revs to thoroughly warm it up and "clear the tubes" is usually all that is needed.

A.K.A. "Italian tune up"
Not a bad idea when out and about anyway to keep it “tuned” up (y)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Time to get a new friend, not a new van, I reckon !

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Audis are notoriously common for low emission read outs we often pass audis with a note on the sheet saying emissions too low to detect a reading

But they stink like hell when ticking over in the workshop too the point it burns your eyes yet they give no read out on the emissions tester I could never work that one out

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks for posting the update. Good to hear all done for another year as the spring and summer months are quickly approaching. Wishing you lots of good times in your van during the year ahead.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
Audis are notoriously common for low emission read outs we often pass audis with a note on the sheet saying emissions too low to detect a reading

But they stink like hell when ticking over in the workshop too the point it burns your eyes yet they give no read out on the emissions tester I could never work that one out

We have an old Hymer on a Sprinter base, it too smells a bit on tick over, particularly when cold but has never failed a test because of emissions. My mot guy who is a friend tells me in layman’s terms the smelly emissions are not measured in the current test.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back