Modding the Moho (1 Viewer)

Jun 2, 2018
Beautiful North Wales border
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
We bought a 2018 Carrado T449 at the beginning of the summer (our first moho), and have done about 2000 miles so far to Wales, Scotland, the Lakes and Devon on weekend trips. Our first trip to France is next week for half-term - can't wait!

As I'm a perpetual bodger, fixer and fiddler, I thought I'd record all of the upgrades I make in one thread, in case they are helpful to anyone else.

I'm a reasonably competent DIYer with a belief that few things in life are too complex/dangerous that you can't work out how to do them yourself armed with enough Twixes (for planning purposes) and a connection to the internet. Over the course of my46 solar circumnavigations I've put together a reasonable workshop and set of tools, but nothing particularly unusual. I'm graced by the ever-fragrant Memsahib who tolerates my bodgings, as long as they are complete in time for the off.

So far I have:

• Installed refillable gas cylinder (GASIT) with external fill point.
  • Installed an external gas BBQ point, connected to the GASIT system.
  • Fitted a second rear view camera/dash cam (should have haggled on that at purchase as I only asked for a reversing camera to be included)
  • Fitted an Android double din head unit to the Ducato cab - with GPS, DAB and ODB connections.
  • Added a couple of extra USB sockets as the gene puddles bring oodles of kit with them that always needs charging.
  • Built a slide-out platform bike rack for the garage (the T449 garage door is *just* tall enough to get bikes in, but you couldn't get 4 bikes in if trying to arrange them from inside the garage - this solution enables us to arrange them very neatly outside and then just slide the platform in)
  • Fitted LED strip to the awning so I can BBQ in the dark.

On the list for the future are:

• Fitting a 12v socket in the garage - for the pump for the inflatables
  • Fitting extra 240v socket in garage as we are planning electric scooters (test one is currently winging its way from China).
  • Solar panels on the roof
  • 2nd leisure battery
  • (Possibly) moving the heater control panel from the base of the bed to above the hab door (as per the 2019 model).
  • Fitting a tyre pressure monitoring system and connecting it to the Android head unit.
  • Fitting a camera underneath (as per Lenny's excellent gin palace thread) for manoeuvring the grey waste outlet directly over drains.

I'll put up a post with pics for each task, and always very happy to try to answer any questions if anyone finds it useful.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Would be interested in the fitting of a USB port, that's next on my list, still psyching meself into that one:LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Coverco

Free Member
May 6, 2014
Barnsley
Funster No
MH
Hymer B595
Exp
Since 2014
I am also a perpetual bodger/fixer etc. We changed from a Hymer B534 to a Hymer B595 in May this year. So far my list of modifications include

Repair cab air con
Fit new sink
Replaced both leisure batteries
Fit Fiamma Turbo Vent
Fit 4.5m Thule awning
Fit led lighting strips and bulbs throughout including on awning
Fit satellite dome
Fit Thule double electric step
Repair Strikeback alarm system
Fit AVS surge protector
Fit 100w solar panel
Fit separate shower controller instead of pull out shower
Fit extra 240v sockets and USB charger
Fit side view camera
Fit two new table legs, one at front and one at back

Probably loads of other bits I have missed, it is an ongoing project for me :D

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Would be interested in the fitting of a USB port, that's next on my list, still psyching meself into that one:LOL:

The simple way is to replace any standard double or single socket with a socket that has usb sockets built in. Downside is that you need to be on 240v hook up for them to work.
You could also piggy back onto existing 12v connections and fit a 12v usb socket (double or single) - ive just done it and when im happy ots in the right place i will fix it permanantly. You can buy piggy back connectors cheap and easy - i would recommend you fit a fuse for the 12v usb connector aswell

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
The simple way is to replace any standard double or single socket with a socket that has usb sockets built in. Downside is that you need to be on 240v hook up for them to work.
You could also piggy back onto existing 12v connections and fit a 12v usb socket (double or single) - ive just done it and when im happy ots in the right place i will fix it permanantly. You can buy piggy back connectors cheap and easy - i would recommend you fit a fuse for the 12v usb connector aswell

Thank you for that, I was just thinking of something to charge up bits and pieces, nothing serious. However your post has brought it home to me that I need to consider 240 volt too. I am a bit reluctant to do that, so will just stick with the 12 V option meanwhile.

Coverco

Free Member
May 6, 2014
Barnsley
Funster No
MH
Hymer B595
Exp
Since 2014

If your motorhome is like mine you will have a few 12v cigarette lighter type sockets, mine were slim continental ones which are useless without an adapter. I bought one of these from Fleabay and replaced the 12v socket.

OP
OP
Glas Robin
Jun 2, 2018
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
Upgrade 1: Fitting additional USB sockets

Fitting the USB socket was pretty easy. I'll edit this post and post pics when its light. Apologies if this is a "suck eggs granny" type post - but I hope the detail is useful to those who worry this might be difficult. It's not.

I bought some of these from eBay:

s-l400.jpg

They cost less than 3 quid each, and I'm a fan of Chinese stuff. The quality is much better these days. If it is a potentially hazardous piece of kit then it's always wise to buy from a site where you can check it is CE marked. Otherwise I've had very few issues buying Chinese tech (most of my mobile phones are Chinese made and much better value than the big brands).

To fit them you need to select somewhere convenient next to an unswitched 12v supply. I chose to fit it into the underneath surface of a clothes locker above the bed. I took a feed from the supply side of the switch for the over bed LED spot.

Once I'd isolated the supply (yes, even for working on 12v it's wise to keep the usual safe working habits), I popped the surround off, unscrewed and then opened the switch. I added in two new cables (I used some 1mm^2 mains lighting flex I had lying around). It's a simple case of stripping the ends and screwing them into the connector blocks on the *supply* side of the switch (ie not the side feeding the light) and ensuring blue/brown cables match. I then fed the new cable through the cavity under the locker floor and out through a hole I'd cut with a suitably sized holesaw attached to a 12v drill driver (more controllable than a mains drill). Cutting the hole is the worst bit of the job - take it slowly and check above and below where you are drilling. Use a pillowcase or towel to prevent sawdust going everywhere.

(Top tip when using the hole saw. Once you have broken the surface from one side and drilled through half way, switch to the other side of the hole and put the holesaw through the same pilot hole to finish the hole. This prevents a messy exit with lots of breakout if you go all the way through from one side).

I then placed the new faceplate and the USB socket in the neatly drilled hole and screwed the ring on the other side to keep it in place. I then screwed the faceplate onto the shelf once I was happy it was square. I crimped the supplied spade connectors on to the cables I'd routed through and fitted them to the back of the socket, ensuring brown is fitted to the terminal marked positive. In time I will find a cover for the back of the socket to make it a neat job inside the back of the locker. I think a 35mm film case will be perfect.

A final check everything is tight and then restore the power.

Hey presto, a working USB socket.

This socket has a blue light on it which is permanently on. I guess this is a small current drain. You could install a small switch on the brown cable so you can isolate the USB socket when not using it. But since we keep the MoHo hooked up to mains when at home, I'm not going to bother. Some may also suggest fitting a fuse to the new circuit - again, I wasn't fussed.

Hope this helps someone,

Robin

Last edited:

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
On some 12v sockets you can remove the blue led light if its annoying - especially when in bed. Can be a bit fiddly though the type shown in the post above does have a cover, but if that has to be removed when charging, the blue led over the bed through the night would annoy me.

Thanks for the link though, i will get a couple of them as they seem ideal

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
You said that you had "Fitted LED strip to the awning so I can BBQ in the dark."

Please don 't BBQ in the awning. It's dangerous

Dave

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
A man of good taste with the Carado, That all sounds great and making the whole experience better for you. One question, have you checked with your insurers regarding installing the DIY gas fittings ?

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
We bought a 2018 Carrado T449 at the beginning of the summer (our first moho), and have done about 2000 miles so far to Wales, Scotland, the Lakes and Devon on weekend trips. Our first trip to France is next week for half-term - can't wait!

As I'm a perpetual bodger, fixer and fiddler, I thought I'd record all of the upgrades I make in one thread, in case they are helpful to anyone else.

I'm a reasonably competent DIYer with a belief that few things in life are too complex/dangerous that you can't work out how to do them yourself armed with enough Twixes (for planning purposes) and a connection to the internet. Over the course of my46 solar circumnavigations I've put together a reasonable workshop and set of tools, but nothing particularly unusual. I'm graced by the ever-fragrant Memsahib who tolerates my bodgings, as long as they are complete in time for the off.

So far I have:

• Installed refillable gas cylinder (GASIT) with external fill point.
  • Installed an external gas BBQ point, connected to the GASIT system.
  • Fitted a second rear view camera/dash cam (should have haggled on that at purchase as I only asked for a reversing camera to be included)
  • Fitted an Android double din head unit to the Ducato cab - with GPS, DAB and ODB connections.
  • Added a couple of extra USB sockets as the gene puddles bring oodles of kit with them that always needs charging.
  • Built a slide-out platform bike rack for the garage (the T449 garage door is *just* tall enough to get bikes in, but you couldn't get 4 bikes in if trying to arrange them from inside the garage - this solution enables us to arrange them very neatly outside and then just slide the platform in)
  • Fitted LED strip to the awning so I can BBQ in the dark.

On the list for the future are:

• Fitting a 12v socket in the garage - for the pump for the inflatables
  • Fitting extra 240v socket in garage as we are planning electric scooters (test one is currently winging its way from China).
  • Solar panels on the roof
  • 2nd leisure battery
  • (Possibly) moving the heater control panel from the base of the bed to above the hab door (as per the 2019 model).
  • Fitting a tyre pressure monitoring system and connecting it to the Android head unit.
  • Fitting a camera underneath (as per Lenny's excellent gin palace thread) for manoeuvring the grey waste outlet directly over drains.

I'll put up a post with pics for each task, and always very happy to try to answer any questions if anyone finds it useful.
Great post and thread. Very useful. I don’t want to divert it but have you checked you have sufficient payload capacity for all the work you are doing?

Coverco

Free Member
May 6, 2014
Barnsley
Funster No
MH
Hymer B595
Exp
Since 2014
Check your payload, check your gas fittings and don't barbecue in an enclosed space!! I would be prepared to bet money that the op like myself is not completely stupid :D

OP
OP
Glas Robin
Jun 2, 2018
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
You said that you had "Fitted LED strip to the awning so I can BBQ in the dark."

Please don 't BBQ in the awning. It's dangerous

Dave

By "awning" - I mean under the rollout canopy. No walls, so not enclosed in any way.

And so far payload is ok according to my mental maths, providing we don't pack any clothes! I'm planning on visiting the local-ish weighbridge before heading to France... which will be interesting. The ever-fragrant Memsahib is still adjusting to packing "economically" and we seem to take everything we don't need.

Uprating the T449 to 3850kg is a simple paperwork task I'm advised rather than needing to alter the suspension, so that is on the list too.

OP
OP
Glas Robin
Jun 2, 2018
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
I was gonna do a thread about all my mods but instead decided to do a website which I can add to easily and save people wading through lots of posts/comments on a thread to see them all.

https://globecarcampscoutinfo.yolasite.com/

Thanks for sharing that... some great mods - and you've given me a couple of ideas too. The one thing I am a bit nervous about is drilling holes in the roof for the solar panels/cables... but it will need doing sooner or later.

OP
OP
Glas Robin
Jun 2, 2018
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
Upgrade 2: Fitting external LED strip

Another easy upgrade.

I bought 5m of this:

There are many types of LED strips in terms of brightness, warmth of light and waterproofing. This was the best for me.

It is then a simple case of popping open the cover of the exterior light, splicing in the cables at both the ends of the LED strip using crimp connectors, and refitting the light casing. Be careful to make sure you haven't compromised its water tight seal or the seal with the van wall with the new wires.

I stuck the LED strip to the frame of the awning (the non-moving part!) With the supplied double sided sticky tape. Once I had done one side, I cut the strip on the marked part and then stuck to the other half of the awning.

Top tip. Check the LED strip works along the whole length before fitting. I just checked it on the reel and didn't spot there was one section of three LEDs not working until after I had finished fitting. Grrr.

The hardest thing was working out how to pop off the cover without breaking it.
View media item 23372
Cut and splice.
View media item 23370
Crimped connectors.
View media item 23371
Grr.
View media item 23373
Finished job. I will come back and replace it with one that fully works and neaten it up.
View media item 23374

Last edited:

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
While i am not averse to anything mechanical, i dont do electrical, but i wouldnt be plumbing in a £3 Chinese USB port into my dash even if i was.

I have had 2 USB chargers go up in smoke, which i have been able to pull out and lob out of the window.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Check your payload, check your gas fittings and don't barbecue in an enclosed space!! I would be prepared to bet money that the op like myself is not completely stupid :D
Then why fit LED’s if he wants to barbecue in the dark then ? Eh tell me (n):love::LOL:

Coverco

Free Member
May 6, 2014
Barnsley
Funster No
MH
Hymer B595
Exp
Since 2014
Then why fit LED’s if he wants to barbecue in the dark then ? Eh tell me (n):love::LOL:

I assume he is barbecueing under his wind out awning and the LEDs help him to see when it is dark, I hope that helps (n)

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
I assume he is barbecueing under his wind out awning and the LEDs help him to see when it is dark, I hope that helps (n)
No I’m afraid not :whistle::love::D2

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
Ok, I’m only winding you up :) he said he wants to barbecue in the dark’ well it wouldn’t be dark if he had strip lights in his awning now would it ?(y)

OP
OP
Glas Robin
Jun 2, 2018
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
Ah...I see this forum exercises English pedantry to Advanced Level. I will remember in future!

I meant to say "I like to be able to BBQ under the wind out awning when it is dark outside, and fitting the LED lights will facilitate this activity."

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
Ah...I see this forum exercises English pedantry to Advanced Level. I will remember in future!

I meant to say "I like to be able to BBQ under the wind out awning when it is dark outside, and fitting the LED lights will facilitate this activity."
Pedantry to extreme, which you will come across on most threads:).
I do apologise for the advanced pedantry though (y)

OP
OP
Glas Robin
Jun 2, 2018
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
Pedantry to extreme, which you will come across on most threads:).
I do apologise for the advanced pedantry though (y)

No apology needed. I think I will fit right in! I refuse to communicate with my kids by text message unless they spell and punctuate their messages properly. I knew my job was done when they started correcting each other's messages :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back