• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

WANTED Mobility scooter (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
anyone got one they no longer need?

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
any particular size or type needed?

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
anyone got one they no longer need?
I'm going to my Pa's on Weds Chris, he lives in an extracare village, there's often ones for sale posted up. But as already asked, any particular type? my Pa started with one that came to pieces and stowed easily in a car boot

OP
OP
Mr Chrysalis

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
any particular size or type needed?
I don’t know much about them. I want it for my dad to use to drive about half a mile to church twice a week. At 90 he has decided to give his car up.

OP
OP
Mr Chrysalis

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
I'm going to my Pa's on Weds Chris, he lives in an extracare village, there's often ones for sale posted up. But as already asked, any particular type? my Pa started with one that came to pieces and stowed easily in a car boot
Debs, I’d be grateful if you would let me know if any come up there. He is not too far from you! He had never used one before but has decided to give his car up and all he really needs to do is do about half a mile ( downhill) and back ( uphill) twice a week, and probably once a week to the doctors and/or supermarket ( about a mile).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mr Chrysalis

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
I guess it would be useful if it folded into a car boot occasionally but I don’t think that’s essential. Any advice would be useful too!

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
how big is dad and how heavy? and has he got good coordination and manual dexterity? size of doorway to where it's going to be stored and charged

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Not knowing the answers I would recommend a Pride GoGo elite traveller 4

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Debs, I’d be grateful if you would let me know if any come up there. He is not too far from you! He had never used one before but has decided to give his car up and all he really needs to do is do about half a mile ( downhill) and back ( uphill) twice a week, and probably once a week to the doctors and/or supermarket ( about a mile).
ok I'll have a look on the notice board on Weds and let you know.....my Pa's in Swadlincote

OP
OP
Mr Chrysalis

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
how big is dad and how heavy? and has he got good coordination and manual dexterity? size of doorway to where it's going to be stored and charged
Good questions Thankyou. He will keep it in his garage which has a standard garage door ( 2.5m ??) and I guess the church door is about 1m. I’ve only driven one once which had 3 wheels (one at the front). The shopmobility guy said they were more manoverable than the 4 wheels one. He will have to go up and down several kerbs to cross side roads and some of the hills are fairly steep. He is fairly slight fame probably weighs 70kg. His coordination and dexterity are good. He sees quite well since the cataract operation. He can walk but it’s more of a shuffle these days!

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
My mate @BwB Brian has a lovely one, folds up nice and small and it might be for sale, but he is here in Spain at the minute. :xgrin:
His mum doesn't like it and prefers to walk. :xdoh: Bob.

OP
OP
Mr Chrysalis

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
My mate @BwB Brian has a lovely one, folds up nice and small and it might be for sale, but he is here in Spain at the minute. :xgrin:
His mum doesn't like it and prefers to walk. :xdoh: Bob.
Might not be a problem. Will he be back in uk in summer?

Humsafer

Free Member
Apr 8, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
15 years
Hi, I sell scooters for a living ( no I will not sell you one). Scooters come in a variety of sizes starting with the
"Boot Scooter"
Small and lightweight, carries up to about 18stone, can be broken down in seconds to go in the boot of a car. Great for trips to the sea side On the debit side they can give a fairly hard ride as most have no suspension. The Go Go range as mentioned by the Big one is considered fairly Bomb Proof by the trade.
The TGA Eclipse is probably the best available, The Drive Scout and Drive Style are worth looking at and are quite reasonable in price. I have picked up 4 of these in the last month in new condition for £200 each. Another one is the Invacare Colibri
Class 2 Pavement scooters
You cant just pop these into a boot, but if this is not essential, they would probably be best for your dad. They are much more comfortable, often have suspension, and pneumatic tyre which with a well padded seat give a comfortable ride. They will generally carry about 20 stone up to 20 miles
One I would recommend is the Invacare Leo, look for the red one , it is the latest model with splash guards and LED lights. A very nice scooter, I picked one up on Ebay less than a year old for £330 . Often advertised for around £300 to £400 in good condition.
Class 3. 8mph scooter.
very expensive and not for your dad at this stage. Could. run out of space so will post some buying tips next.

OP
OP
Mr Chrysalis

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Hi, I sell scooters for a living ( no I will not sell you one). Scooters come in a variety of sizes starting with the
"Boot Scooter"
Small and lightweight, carries up to about 18stone, can be broken down in seconds to go in the boot of a car. Great for trips to the sea side On the debit side they can give a fairly hard ride as most have no suspension. The Go Go range as mentioned by the Big one is considered fairly Bomb Proof by the trade.
The TGA Eclipse is probably the best available, The Drive Scout and Drive Style are worth looking at and are quite reasonable in price. I have picked up 4 of these in the last month in new condition for £200 each. Another one is the Invacare Colibri
Class 2 Pavement scooters
You cant just pop these into a boot, but if this is not essential, they would probably be best for your dad. They are much more comfortable, often have suspension, and pneumatic tyre which with a well padded seat give a comfortable ride. They will generally carry about 20 stone up to 20 miles
One I would recommend is the Invacare Leo, look for the red one , it is the latest model with splash guards and LED lights. A very nice scooter, I picked one up on Ebay less than a year old for £330 . Often advertised for around £300 to £400 in good condition.
Class 3. 8mph scooter.
very expensive and not for your dad at this stage. Could. run out of space so will post some buying tips next.
Many thanks @Humsafer

Humsafer

Free Member
Apr 8, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
15 years
Check out E bay, Preloved and Gumtree, look local to your area. View the scooter for chips ,scratches scrapes and particularly cracks in the plastic also the seat is a good indicator of previous use. Drive it as far as the seller will let you, watch the battery indicator, check for strange noises, mechanical and of a rubbing nature. Check the horn, check the speed control works, lights and indicators if fitted. Finally check the automatic brake. From full speed the scooter should stop of its own accord immediately. (if it runs on LEAVE IT)
Batteries
Batteries deteriorate from day 1. if they are knackered use it as a negotiating point. 12 amp Boot scooters batteries cost about £35 on ebay from SLK. Class 2 scooters take 33 amp batteries and they are around £100 to replace.
Remember a scooter may run well for a couple of hundred yards on knackered batteries. That's why you should drive them as far as possible.
Spend an evening looking at the selling sites, but avoid confusing yourself , narrow your search to 2 or three named scooters.
Hope this helps and I haven't confused you. PM me if you want specific help and I will give you my phone no.
Best of luck Fred

OP
OP
Mr Chrysalis

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Check out E bay, Preloved and Gumtree, look local to your area. View the scooter for chips ,scratches scrapes and particularly cracks in the plastic also the seat is a good indicator of previous use. Drive it as far as the seller will let you, watch the battery indicator, check for strange noises, mechanical and of a rubbing nature. Check the horn, check the speed control works, lights and indicators if fitted. Finally check the automatic brake. From full speed the scooter should stop of its own accord immediately. (if it runs on LEAVE IT)
Batteries
Batteries deteriorate from day 1. if they are knackered use it as a negotiating point. 12 amp Boot scooters batteries cost about £35 on ebay from SLK. Class 2 scooters take 33 amp batteries and they are around £100 to replace.
Remember a scooter may run well for a couple of hundred yards on knackered batteries. That's why you should drive them as far as possible.
Spend an evening looking at the selling sites, but avoid confusing yourself , narrow your search to 2 or three named scooters.
Hope this helps and I haven't confused you. PM me if you want specific help and I will give you my phone no.
Best of luck Fred
Many thanks Fred

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back