Minimum trip length to make Spain work? (1 Viewer)

chenderson1965

Free Member
Aug 3, 2019
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 79R A Class
Exp
10 years with hires, Newbie owner
Now we’re back from our first trip we thinking ahead to our next (in the meantime).

At the moment our thought is to go in late February. Other commitments mean that we’d struggle to be away for more than a couple of weeks. We want to go south to try to get to some better weather and were hoping to go to Spain – perhaps Valencia.

We had thought about driving down but, given what I now know about what is realistic to driving in a day, I think this would be a bit of a stretch in a fortnight. I’ve had a look at the ferry from Portsmouth but it seems that there is no availability left for pet friendly cabins - or even kennel space.

It seems to me that we would need to be away to make a workable Eurotunnel trip to Spain. Would those of you with experience of driving down agree?

Alternatively, what other ideas do people have for a couple of weeks or so to try and get somewhere a little dryer/warmer?

Thanks a lot.

Chris

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
unfortunately brittany ferries arent running as many ferries in winter .
they did have more for a few years .
just traveling on the atlantic coast cantarbria ,asturia etc can be ok.
trouble is the ferry costs can be more or as much as being away all winter.
hug the coast and it can be ok.
about 3 yrs ago galicia had its warmest winter for years . malaga was flooded out but galicia was lovely. mind in only a few weeks gijon is as far as i would go from santander.

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I wouldn't bother taking a MH to Spain for 2 weeks in Feb - you would spend too much time travelling. It would take around 4 long days to get to the south of Spain where the weather is most likely to be warmer than the north.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I wouldn't bother taking a MH to Spain for 2 weeks in Feb - you would spend too much time travelling. It would take around 4 long days to get to the south of Spain where the weather is most likely to be warmer than the north.
I did Bilbao to Malaga in 2 comfortable days on a Harley. And I've done Spain through France also on a bike, but you need to have 3 weeks. That way you have 2 weeks down there, if you can only manage 2 weeks, fly and rent. A lot less stress

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I did Bilbao to Malaga in 2 comfortable days on a Harley. And I've done Spain through France also on a bike, but you need to have 3 weeks. That way you have 2 weeks down there, if you can only manage 2 weeks, fly and rent. A lot less stress

Via France, I would add the best part of two days to Bilbao. Most journeys can be done faster but they wouldn't be fun.

If the OP avoids the Feb half-term, flights and accommodation would probably cost less than the cost of fuel, tolls, wear & tear etc (around £300 for fuel and tolls from Calais). A car could probably be hired for less than the cost of the train and travel from Southampton. The dog might not be able to travel though.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
When we were younger and with kids in tow have done Spain in 2½ weeks driving down through France. Now I wouldn't bother for less tha 5 weeks. We are in Portugal at the moment ½ way through a 6½ week trip it doesn't seem long enough.

For two weeks stick to France or Germany only problem is the weather in Feb, can sometimes be nice. Last Feb on the way to Spain we spent 5/6 days in France as it was in the 20's.
Probably a last minute decision required based on weather forecasts.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
For that length of time I'd fly wife is off to Valencia next month two weeks to see family cost is 34.00 return easy jet no brainer

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back