Mini bus or van? (1 Viewer)

CNC

Free Member
Feb 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Hi All,
I have very recently decided to embark on a project to convert a van or mini bus to a camper. I am thinking Merc Sprinter/Iveco Daily but certainly haven't made up my mind as of yet.
My questions would be, using your own experiences and opinions, what would you go for if like me you had only just decided to do a project and you had a blank canvas. To me the mini bus route seems more attractive for a few reasons but i totally accept i really don't have a clue and was hoping for a range of opinions?
Thank You...

BuilderBob

Free Member
Apr 29, 2017
nn297tl
Funster No
MH
E745 Bessacar
Exp
12yrs
Personally, with a blank canvas, the lowest mileage, high top, XLWB Mercedes Sprinter, in black. with factory fitted cruise and air con.
A van rather than a mini bus as then I can put in what windows I want, exactly where I want them.

Upvote 0

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Dependent on how old your likely purchase is, I went for a galvanised Peugeot Boxer as opposed to some very rusty 4 year old Mercs
(later ones were galvanised)

Also the Peugeot (fiat ducato /citroen relay) is wider, allowing for a transverse bed and it square sides 'boxy' shape gives more usable internal space

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

CNC

Free Member
Feb 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Thanks Bob, My mouth was watering with the description you gave and the options. Other than the windows, is there any other things that would stear you to a van over mini bus? My thoughts are that with a mini bus its not been full of unknowns in terms of load, they have the headlining with speakers and lights fitted and a skylight/escape hatch as well as heating. The floor is also fitted already to i assume a high standard.
I don't know if these are that important in the overall picture, or if I'm just seeing these things and thinking they seem like positives.
Thanks again..

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Personally, with a blank canvas, the lowest mileage, high top, XLWB Mercedes Sprinter, in black. with factory fitted cruise and air con.
A van rather than a mini bus as then I can put in what windows I want, exactly where I want them.
Iā€™d go the opposite, shorter the better and 7G-Tronic RWD. A joy to drive .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

CNC

Free Member
Feb 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Thanks Nasher and EuroTrotters,
My budget for the van/mini bus is ball park 6-9K if that helps with what i can and can't expect
Cheers
C

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
My thoughts are that with a mini bus its not been full of unknowns in terms of load, they have the headlining with speakers and lights fitted and a skylight/escape hatch as well as heating. The floor is also fitted already to i assume a high standard.
I don't know if these are that important in the overall picture, or if I'm just seeing these things and thinking they seem like positives.
Thanks again..
Just my thoughts on your thoughtsšŸ¤”

Yes a minibus is less likely to have been abused and overloaded.

The headlining, your likely to be removing it to insulate/soundproof and it may not re fit or be the best shape to build your internal layout around.

New Sspeakers can be fitted to suit your living space layout.

The lights will be wired to the van battery, Iā€™d guess youā€™d really be wanting ledā€˜s fitted, wired to a leisure battery.

The skylight may be in a position that will restrict your internal layout design or limit future solar installations on the roof.

The flooring, in reality you wouldnā€™t want it in your living space, Lino, laminate and removable carpet/mats will make it more cozy.

Heating wise....if a minibus has a diesel heater it would be nice, but if itā€™s just blown air from the van heater matrix, then itā€˜s not going to be much use when parked up.

However if the ā€˜rightā€˜ van turns up and itā€™s a minibus then it would still be a viable option and wouldnā€™t put me off.

What type/shape of layout are you considering?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

CNC

Free Member
Feb 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Thanks XxAnthxX,

I suppose its a bit nieve and superficial to look at the headlining and floor and think it looks great, I guess in the scheme of things and with the points you made it could actually be more hassle stripping it out than a bare van.
The layout ideally would be the same or very similar to the one i seen on you tube built by Greg Virgoe. Full bed and shower are non negotiable so says my partner, and to be fair i agree with her on that. It just seemed like a great use of the space and was pleasing on the eye as well...

Upvote 0

Toby28

Free Member
Jun 26, 2019
Pembrokeshire. Wales
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I have not long ago finished converting a Citroen Relay. Went with this because as already mentioned it is slightly wider so bed goes across van.
Minibus flooring would need to be taken up and insulated.
Take a look at Kingin it on youtube they converted a bus. Look for video's before they changed it to green colour. Shows some of the problems they had.
Good luck with whatever you choose.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

CNC

Free Member
Feb 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Thanks Toby,
I will def take a look at the Relay as you and Nasher have said. I will also take a look at Kingin, I'm sure it will be an education for me!

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Done both minibuses and several vans ..each has pro and cons,windows being the main in a MB but easy to sheet over.
On your budget I would look at VW transporter/Crafter size mini bus,you will pick up a 100 k miles Automatic šŸ‘ lots of room so plenty of scope for layout.They have insulation built in along with windows which will save a lot.
Van route at the moment prices have gone through the roof šŸ˜ž so probably a 2010/13 low mileage around 90k .... Windows and roof light's will cost around Ā£2.5/3k
Both vehicles involve a lot of work done properly, good luck on your choice/build šŸ‘

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back