MICROWAVE (2 Viewers)

Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
Hi

I need a microwave as no oven in my MH, any good recommendations for which one to get

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
If looking to instal into a cabinet in your Motorhome its worth checking before you buy that a fixing kit is available which is basically four plastic trims that hide the adjustable feet and provide air vents from the MW oven back into the van and makes the install look professionally done.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
There is no need to get silly with regards to price as has previously been said. My only thought is to get a simple one but with a digital timer display. Argos is as good a place as any.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
hard to find a low wattage microwave and oven combination, but they are available. last one i bought came from aldi or lidl for under £70 on one of their special offers

OP
OP
tinkerbell
Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
That was my thing too, not to expensive. Would like it on top of fridge unit but not sure how to fit without taking fridge out and fitting from underneath.

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
I use a Daewoo QT1, which was about the smallest I could find to fit in a standard locker in my Cheyenne. Quite basic but does what it says on the box.....(y)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
That was my thing too, not to expensive. Would like it on top of fridge unit but not sure how to fit without taking fridge out and fitting from underneath.
Robert Dyas I noticed yesterday have one but didn’t see price as not really looking for microwave(y)(y)(y)

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
Does anyone have one of these in the MH, I am making an assumption on viewing these that they get very hot, has this had any impact on the surfaces they are on?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I fitted Broken Link Removed

it is secured with a piece of ally angle, pop riveted to the top and screwed to the cupboard walls at each side ..

IMG_3317.jpg

for ventilation, I fitted 100mm dia. round vent on the back wall.

IMG_3330.jpg

The wood front panel was cut from the original cupboard shelf

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I bought a simple one at first. One with just dials, because I didn't want a display shining all the time. It was cheap and I thought I could just replace it if it couldn't stand the stress of bumpy roads. It worked fine and went with the van when I sold it. Next one was a fancy combination oven but hidden inside a cupboard.
From this limited experience (we don't bother, now), I'd assume that any will survive the rattle 'n shake unless you're unlucky. Most important is to get one that fit the space intended and, if possible, the lightest available. Microwaves tend to be heavy, so I'd look for a lower position rather than high up (but we don't often have much choice). Ask, again, when you've identified a particular model.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Never needed a Micowave yet, we have an oven and haven’t used that as well. As others have said a Dould Skillet is good and you don’t need to be on EHU. You pay your money and take your chances. :)

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
click here

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/low-wattage-microwave.html

Product Description

Streetwize Low Wattage Microwave
A 700w microwave, great for usage in a caravan or motorhome at the campsite.

The low wattage means you won't have to worry about overloading the power hook-up unit on the site!

Features:

• Simple dial operation with 5 power levels
  • 35 minute maximum timer with thaw function
  • 24.5cm turntable
  • 20 litre capacity
The microwave runs on pure sine waves.

The microwave dimensions are -

17 and a quarter inches wide.

13 inches deep.

9 and a half inches high.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Would like it on top of fridge unit but not sure how to fit without taking fridge out and fitting from underneath.
I used a piece of 9mm plywood, cut as wide as the microwave and about 30mm deeper. The microwave feet were fixed to the microwave base by self-tapping screws. Drill holes in the plywood at the feet positions, and used longer self-tapping screws to fix the microwave to the plywood. Then fix the plywood in position using a couple of screws through the part of the plywood sticking out at the front into the top of the fridge.

EMS

Jan 8, 2010
Hants Sussex border near
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low
Exp
Started 2009!
We purchased dual cook microwave for our van as it did not have an oven, so if you can possible buy a microwave that is multiple purpose, i.e. it has a grill and can be a combination normal oven and microwave.
With this type it is possible to make toast and to cook things such as a roast. Dual cooking is quicker and uses less electricity than a conventional electric oven.
Happy cooking

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Microwaves tend to be heavy,
The older or cheaper type have a big transformer inside that's a heavy metal lump. Newer types use 'inverter technology' that doesn't have the big transformer and is much lighter.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The older or cheaper type have a big transformer inside that's a heavy metal lump. Newer types use 'inverter technology' that doesn't have the big transformer and is much lighter.
I haven't heard of that. Do you have a link to any info? (Just interested in the technology.)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I did it in my Hymer by cutting an aluminium plate about an inch wider than the microwave. Place the microwave centrally on it then attach two lengths of aluminium angle to this base so that the upright legs of the angle touch each side of the oven. Screw them to the base using 4mm CSK screws with heads downwards. If you are lucky just prior to marking out and installing the angle aluminium you will have had to remove screws near the bottom of each side of the oven & can re-use them passed through the angle to hold the oven in place. If not use a strip of double-sided tape down each side between the angle & the oven. You can remove the oven by undoing the nuts holding the angles to the baseplate. When you are happy with fit, finish, & appearance, use a few strips of double-sided tape to hold the baseplate / oven assembly in your chosen position.

A way to make it easy to remove the oven & angles is to first fit the CSK screws to the baseplate using plain 4mm nuts. Drill the holes in the angles to clear the nuts then use dome nuts (and washers) to hold down the angles. That way there's no risk of the CSK screws turning when you need to remove the microwave.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I made a wooden strip with holes for the two front feet to drop into. Fixed that to the cabinet, then dropped the microwave into them (you only need enough wood & 2 holes to locate two feet).

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I made a wooden strip with holes for the two front feet to drop into. Fixed that to the cabinet, then dropped the microwave into them (you only need enough wood & 2 holes to locate two feet).
Been there, done that. Went over a speed bump in CDG airport that I didn't notice. The microwave took off and landed on the floor. Now it's all screwed down.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Cheap ones are not inverter types. Inverter microwaves cost more to buy.
Inverter microwaves alter the power output for power levels, Standard microwaves turn the magnatron on and off for different power levels.

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
Being an ex micrave service engineer, this technology, has been around for some while now. Panasonic do them for reasonable prices.
It is easy to tell the difference between the two, pick it up with the front facing you, if it is heavey, that has the transformer inside. The best way to carry these are with the heavy side towards your body. Any other way is a strain.

I do not recommend anyone to remove the casing and play around with these things, they can hold a minimum charge of up to 2,500volts DC, that is enough to either kill you outright, or put a charge through your hand. However, if you are experienced in these things, you will know how to make the appliance safe.

I used to change the inverters usualy on either Zanussi/Electrolux microwaves, as they are electronic boards, with many leads large and small to remove, remember where they went, and refit, then test.

To me the best things in microwave ovens is the magnetron, this has two round very powerful magnets, which I have only two now.

Flook:cool:

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi there
You can now get them with no turntable just totally flat inside. I’ve just bought one for home and it works fine and does away with the glass plate and the wheely thing that allows it to turn round.

Best Wishes Tony

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
Tony, the flats beds have been out for years, when I say years I mean over 20. Philips were the worst ones to work on, whenever I gave a quote the reply was “how much”, unfortunately Philips did not give trade discount.

The main thing is, microwave ovens are as cheap as chips now, the 900W used to be classed as commercial, now these are as common as m**h.

They loved microwaves on US Air bases, talk about manhandling them. I had good earnings working on them ones.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back