Aug 14, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
15 years
Hi Funsters,

As i live next to open fields fields mice are a real problem I a have heard of a sonic guard called Stop Mouse Pro
can any funsters whether they have used it and with what results

Cheers Bertyboy

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Try one of these...
cat n mouse.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have used sonic rodent deterrents but not convinced so switched to bait to despatch the little buggers.
I have a couple of weatherproof / pet proof bait boxes one of which I put underneath the motorhome and regularly top up, that seems to work.

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
Rats are also becoming a problem. Edinburgh University has been testing a gene modification process called " gene drive" to try to eradicate them. This follows a period of testing in Westminster, and now the rats left there are keen to remain.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
I have just sent for some "Marder" sonic deterrents off ebay, work off 12v will report after fitting- supposed to be good, recommended by fellow funster.
Cheers, Dave
Hi Funsters,

As i live next to open fields fields mice are a real problem I a have heard of a sonic guard called Stop Mouse Pro

Cheers Bertyboy

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Begun travelling the road in our first van in 2013
We've got a pair of sonic repellers constantly on (through EHU) when our van is on hard standing and so far we haven't been visited by the little blighters since. Ooooh they caused havoc to the loom wiring and carpets and cupboard door edges and, I'll stop now otherwise I'll get all upset ....

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
I've had a look on t'interweb at this subject - most websites are pretty dismissive of herbal remedies and sonic repellers... this from Rentokils website, but most professional sites say the same things a different way...

When thinking of natural mouse repellent / home remedies, peppermint, moth balls, and ultrasonic sound waves come to mind – but they don’t actually work… at all!

They may limit your sighting of rodents, but they don’t remove them from your home and/or workplace.
Rats and mice are clever little creatures. They know that it’s a dangerous world out there for an animal of their size, so once they have found a safe haven away from predators and external elements – plus throw in a constant supply of food; they will continue to live in your home – rent free. They would rather put up with ultrasonic sound waves and herbal remedies than risk leaving their very cosy, new home.

I use traps in boxes to prevent trapping non-target animals. Keeping food out of van seems also very good advice

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Yup, second that on the sonic repellents, they are useless on mice, rats, cats, foxes and kids!

I had an infestation in my garage, not kids, mice. They had sniffed out the 12kg sack of Laldi bird seed and got torn in. They must have thought they had died and gone to Rodent Valhalla! What was even more annoying was when I went to pick it up the wee shitebags had chewed out the bottom and all the bird seed poured out onto my boots.

This means war muttered Daddy. I tried many methods. The only truly effective one was old style traps and peanut butter they are mad for it, positively queue up to be despatched. I no longer have a mouse problem, (Daddy does small victory dance out of sight of squeamish wife).

Now I have a cat and fox problem, I think. I've never actually caught my "Phantom crapper" inflagrante-Delicto but he's out there and Daddy's coming!

It's a goddamned war out there people, we can't let them win.

Lostasusual

Free Member
Sep 13, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autotrail tracker fb
Exp
On and off for many years
Hmmm, I too have tried various methods, having suffered expensive wiring loom nightmares as a result of mouse munching. I live right in the countryside with woods and fields all around. At night, you can certainly sense little red eyes glaring hungrily at you from all angles.

Anyway, I’m very careful not to leave food in the van and the mice seem to have stayed out of the habitation area. No droppings sighted. It’s just the engine compartment and, bizarrely, inside the driver’s cabin door panel (chewed through rubber hinge boot). There is a theory that in recent years wiring looms have made use of soy based bioplastics (yum) This may indicate successful lobbying of the industry by Mickey Mouse and his mates helping to save the planet... Over the past 12 years, or so, I’ve had the wiring loom of at least two other cars chewed seriously enough to need garage repairs. They were company cars so, whilst embarrassing, not such a hit on my own wallet - unlike the motorhome.

Following my experience of electric chicken fencing, I did try a very elaborate mini self-made electric fence around the vehicle - but it’s too much of a faff to keep it up and working. Baiting traps catch mice - yes, but it’s smelly food and therefore actually helps attract them to the van in the first place!

My current (wing and a prayer) anti meeces methodology is as follows. Peppermint oil sprinkled around the engine (may) be helping to keep them at bay. Seems to helped over the last year or so? I also spray the tyres, every couple of months or so, with a product called “Mice Defense” www.exterminatorschoice.com. I figure the nasty beasties have to climb up to gain entry to the bonnet and think that’d be via the tyres? So far, so good...

Jun 9, 2016
L'Isle Jourdain, 86150 France
Funster No
MH
C Class I think
Exp
Just bought an Eriba FT 580
Bought one. Mice nested under it. Now use a humane trap but found out you have to drive the little buggers a minimum of 3 km away or they come back.

Lostasusual

Free Member
Sep 13, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autotrail tracker fb
Exp
On and off for many years
Yep, moth balls are meant to help too. Bit more pongy to live with though. Useful for winter time layover perhaps? Not sure what product Swissbob used. Mine is just a spray.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Wouldn't bother laying a minefield, won't keep the little :swear2: out but you won't be bothered by elephants :giggler:

animals-mine-minefield-mine_field-land_mine-landmine-cga0154_low.jpg

Dec 3, 2019
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2019, a bit before lockdown!
After looking for mothballs online today, I discovered that the old fashioned mothballs with naphthalene have been banned in Europe since 2007.
Are the mothballs being used to deter rodents old ones from the back of the cupboard or the non-naphthalene modern versions?

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We bought ours in Portugal last year------ but then Portugal tends to take what it wants from Europe and ignores what it doesn't like, so ours probably are banned!!!!! Don't really know!!!!!!!

Jun 9, 2016
Funster No
MH
C Class I think
Exp
After looking for mothballs online today, I discovered that the old fashioned mothballs with naphthalene have been banned in Europe since 2007.
Are the mothballs being used to deter rodents old ones from the back of the cupboard or the non-naphthalene modern versions?

According to the pest removal chappie we just had in to get rid of a family of rats mothballs falls into the old wives category. He also said poison was not a long term solution. Best thing is to first stop them getting in and use snaptraps to kill any that do. Seems to have worked.... so far.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
We used to have a terrible problem with house mice (28 caught in one session was the record). Got one of these and not seen one in the house since. This year they chewed our Protec cover in the detached garage. Installed a second one on a long extension through the garage (as recommended on the website) no further sight of them or their droppings. Now also have one plugged in, in RH while it is on hookup. Doesn't solve the problem if you only have 12v available of course. But from several years of experience I can confirm this gadget really does work and appears to have some science behind it. PS we also have squirrels grey and red and so far no probs with them either.

PS the link says ultrasonic (don't know why) they aren't! They produce a pulsing electromagnetic field around them and in associated wiring.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2016
Funster No
MH
C Class I think
Exp
We used to have a terrible problem with house mice (28 caught in one session was the record). Got one of these and not seen one in the house since. This year they chewed our Protec cover in the detached garage. Installed a second one on a long extension through the garage (as recommended on the website) no further sight of them or their droppings. Now also have one plugged in, in RH while it is on hookup. Doesn't solve the problem if you only have 12v available of course. But from several years of experience I can confirm this gadget really does work and appears to have some science behind it. PS we also have squirrels grey and red and so far no probs with them either.

PS the link says ultrasonic (don't know why) they aren't! They produce a pulsing electromagnetic field around them and in associated wiring.

Thanks for the information. Anything is worth a try. Ordered a pair, will feedback on results.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005

Assumes you have an electrical hook up

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
SwissBob, its worth reading the details on siting of them. in a mh its pretty straightforward as sockets will all be on same electrical circuit, we put ours in socket above kitchen in centre of mh. In the house obvious spot is in socket near where you think they are getting in. In attics etc an extension lead snaked across attic with it at one end means the pulse will radiate from the lead as well. That worked for my daughter (they had chewed through a water pipe! They stress patience for effect to work. If you've got a big infest then initial trapping may be necessary. We still have mice around outside the house including one that likes to watch us having morning coffee on the back patio but they do not seem at all interested in coming inside!

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Trapped over 20 mice in our garage in the last couple of months.
Two years ago they got into the car while we were away and munched through a chunk of the seats.
Going to order a couple of these for the garage and motorhome.

Richard.

Jun 9, 2016
Funster No
MH
C Class I think
Exp
Some early feedback on the Greenshield devices.

Background: 18th century house with internal insulated plasterboard shell which is very effective but provides beasties,with a perfect home.

French electrics are not based on a ring main so had some concerns how the things would work as we have 8 different spurs from the fusebox - only bought 2 devices.

To get around that limitation we plugged them in where we notice most activity, the kitchen and a first floor dividing wall. Prior to installing we caught 3 rats in a wall space in the kitchen. One of them was the size of a cat. Also lots of noise in that space as well as on the first floor.

Nothing trapped since plugging them in and no noise or other signs of presence in those areas after a couple of days.

I'll give it another week and if there are still no beasties then we'll probably order another two to cover the other floors.

So in summary, first impression is good.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
SwissBob That is good to hear, our house is of similar age and type without the insulated plasterboard! Although rewired a lot of our electrics are based on the original radial and we did exactly what you did re siting of the device. Have since sited a second unit at the other end of the house as a precaution though no sign of the beasties. We do see them outside which is fine by me. One tip if you haven't thought of it, the Greenshield label peels off quite easily which leaves a not unattractive white thingy plugged into the wall..

Jun 9, 2016
Funster No
MH
C Class I think
Exp
Another update. Small mice, dormice and rats are nowhere to be seen. However, a little bastard that looks like a larger mouse with bigger back legs (think it's a woodmouse but not 100% sure) is causing havoc and doesn't appear to be affected by the device. I tried moving it around but no joy so far. This thing is chewing through the plasterboard to get into the kitchen but we don't any signs of it moving around. Obtained a key to the empty house next door as suspicion is that it (they) are coming from there. It is not interested in any type of trap so considering borrowing a cat. The MH though is completely clear of beasties. Which is nice.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Hi Funsters,

Cheers Bertyboy
14lb Sledge hammer, but don't use it on wooden floors. Lol.

• Funny
Reactions: f6c

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back