Free Member
Dec 17, 2016
brentwood, uk
Funster No
MH
Rapiddo A class
Exp
Hi all
Just bought a 2004 Rapido 986M with mercedes sprinter. the engine bay has a pre-heater device that is routed through to the engine (i guess). Seems the only way to activate it is to start the engine and press the button on the dash and it fires up running on diesel to heat the engine quick.
I say I guess that's all it does because I don't really know what else it does when bolted to a motorhome.
It's a bit like the eberspacher I fitted to my classic car, only difference is, I can fire that up on a timer and warm the car before starting, does not look like the mercedes has that option...

Unless you know differently?

Regards
Si

OP
OP
styleruk

styleruk

Free Member
Dec 17, 2016
brentwood, uk
Funster No
MH
Rapiddo A class
Exp
It would be a shame that Rapido did not route this to the water heater or heating matrix some how so you can warm up the cabin or something else.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Our 316 CDI Has the same, very handy on frosty morning's :xThumb:
I have been told Merc do a kit to convert to timer, never checked this out to be true or not, if true it may be not cheap!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
styleruk

styleruk

Free Member
Dec 17, 2016
brentwood, uk
Funster No
MH
Rapiddo A class
Exp
Our 316 CDI Has the same, very handy on frosty morning's :xThumb:
I have been told Merc do a kit to convert to timer, never checked this out to be true or not, if true it may be not cheap!!
I'm sure that's the case. It's a shame Rapido didn't take the opportunity to use this device to heat water or the cabin or simply to pre-heat. Would be quite handy. But I'm sure you're right about the timer thing being added and dread to think how much that would be.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have exactly the same on mine and have no idea what it does, but like you say it only works with the engine running so can be nothing to do with pre heating

It does seem to get the cab area warmer though, so I thought it might let the engine heat the rads we have in front of our seats that I thought are part of the Alde system

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
The Eberspächer fitted in our 616 Cdi Sprinter is designed to be powered up when the engine is running. The Eberspächer merely warms the engine block up quicker thus prolonging the life of the engine during winter or in colder climates.

However, I have just discovered that there is kit available from Eberspächer that allows you to use it as an auxiliary heater. There is plenty of info on the project on MB Sprinter Forums.

https://www.pfjones.co.uk/eberspacher_techdocs/Hydronic-4-5/SPRINTER-kit/Sprinter Upgrade kit 24 0212 00 00 00.pdf

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
On my Fiat Rapido it feeds through a heater matrix fitted beneath my fridge. It has a three speed fan and heat control at the drivers position and the heated air is directed adjacent the hab door.
However mine plays no part in heating the engine

OP
OP
styleruk

styleruk

Free Member
Dec 17, 2016
brentwood, uk
Funster No
MH
Rapiddo A class
Exp
The Eberspächer fitted in our 616 Cdi Sprinter is designed to be powered up when the engine is running. The Eberspächer merely warms the engine block up quicker thus prolonging the life of the engine during winter or in colder climates.

However, I have just discovered that there is kit available from Eberspächer that allows you to use it as an auxiliary heater. There is plenty of info on the project on MB Sprinter Forums.

https://www.pfjones.co.uk/eberspacher_techdocs/Hydronic-4-5/SPRINTER-kit/Sprinter Upgrade kit 24 0212 00 00 00.pdf
Indeed, and I fitted a petrol eberspacher unit to my singer gazelle. Used it to drive to work for many years, great getting in a heated car with the engine ready to run. You simply fit a control box that powers it up. I fitted it in the boot and put copper pipes up to the engine, actually only just taken it out as I'm restoring the old girl.
According to the mercedes manual, you can get a control unit that turns it on before you start. I'm just surprised out of all the useful things, Rapido did not make use of this in other ways, like heating the cab etc...

OP
OP
styleruk

styleruk

Free Member
Dec 17, 2016
brentwood, uk
Funster No
MH
Rapiddo A class
Exp
On my Fiat Rapido it feeds through a heater matrix fitted beneath my fridge. It has a three speed fan and heat control at the drivers position and the heated air is directed adjacent the hab door.
That's a different thing, it's the same in mine. The engine runs heat back to near the door through a matrix and heats the living space when you are driving...quite useful as it stops you getting a cold neck in the winter :)

OP
OP
styleruk

styleruk

Free Member
Dec 17, 2016
brentwood, uk
Funster No
MH
Rapiddo A class
Exp
I have exactly the same on mine and have no idea what it does, but like you say it only works with the engine running so can be nothing to do with pre heating

It does seem to get the cab area warmer though, so I thought it might let the engine heat the rads we have in front of our seats that I thought are part of the Alde system
I'm not familiar with the term 'alde system'. Is that the heating on a Rapido?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It's a wet system similar to gas central heating at home. pipework and radiators etc

OP
OP
styleruk

styleruk

Free Member
Dec 17, 2016
brentwood, uk
Funster No
MH
Rapiddo A class
Exp
Looks like I'll be using it just for heating the engine up quicker, though I'm surprised such a small box makes a big difference to a big engine, can't be more than a few kw power. And with it running it still takes a while to get to temperature. I guess every little helps.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Wish I could find how to use mine in my Pilote. I have a three way switch but it doesn't seem to do anything

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Broken Link Removed

@Techno

no photo of mine Andy, but I am pretty sure this is what is being discussed, mine doesn't have the 'off' wording but is more or less then same, I think it boosts the internal heating

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I will take a photo tomorrow, looks nothing like the one in David's link

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better

That's a different thing, it's the same in mine. The engine runs heat back to near the door through a matrix and heats the living space when you are driving...quite useful as it stops you getting a cold neck in the winter :)

I have that too but mines not working, I've got heat there but the fan doesn't work...(n)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I will take a photo tomorrow, looks nothing like the one in David's link
IMG_0004.JPG

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Mine being 2007 is a bit different
1482420686387-1642775757.jpg

Attachments

• 20161222_151757.jpg
    20161222_151757.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 8

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
No matter how long I hold with ignition on or off or with the engine running it does not start the heater and the light doesn't come on

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
As one who doesn't have one I am led to believe( just getting excuses in first) that on some car mounted versions there is an external air sensor to stop diesel heater firing up above a set temp, maybe around 6 degrees C. Of course may not be like that on yours.......

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Hi I have a mercedes rapido with a heater booster switch similar to Davidg58 which blows extra hot air through the cab vents to assist heating the internal rear area.
We have used it when travelling in winter to go skiing and boy what a difference it makes.(y):xgrin:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
No matter how long I hold with ignition on or off or with the engine running it does not start the heater and the light doesn't come on

Mine is the same as yours, not so far away from the one in the link, but just goes to show how 2 people can be talking about the same thing and totally disagree

Mine is a standard switch press the same as heated rear screen button (which on ours only does the mirrors), a red light comes on, (on the switch) when pressed, goes off if already on

I only wish it did something, we get no obvious effect as @Red Dragon gets :(, it might just be @FJmike that the light doesn't work on yours, I don't really think we can tell a difference on ours, other than when we stop if it has been on it sounds like the engine is in over run as the 'extra' bit whatever it might be and do still continues for about a minute

That untechnical reply is me at my peak I am afraid, no real help

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Mine is the same as yours, not so far away from the one in the link, but just goes to show how 2 people can be talking about the same thing and totally disagree

Mine is a standard switch press the same as heated rear screen button (which on ours only does the mirrors), a red light comes on, (on the switch) when pressed, goes off if already on

I only wish it did something, we get no obvious effect as @Red Dragon gets :(, it might just be @FJmike that the light doesn't work on yours, I don't really think we can tell a difference on ours, other than when we stop if it has been on it sounds like the engine is in over run as the 'extra' bit whatever it might be and do still continues for about a minute

That untechnical reply is me at my peak I am afraid, no real help
Hi David the default for you button should be ON, if you want it OFF you press the switch and it lights up, the heating part will only work at 8 deg as has been said already and all it does is heat the water around the engine block for faster delisting etc, the running you can hear after switching off is the exhaust fan on the heater unit.

Martin

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
After having a play this afternoon, reading the manual I decided to look at the fuses. As my Pilote is an Aclass a lot of the fuses under the drivers seat (LHD) are missing as a lot of the functions do not apply. In the manual it said fuse 27 was for aux. heating, this checked out OK . Fuse 26 was marked as just heating but didn't have a fuse fitted, I fitted a 25 amp fuse, tried the switch again, nothing. Turned the engine on tried switch and success, light came on and heater started up (you could hear it). Very quickly I had warm air from the cab vents but very little from what I assume to be a rear facing vent under the passenger seat, picture below. After nine years of owning the Pilote from new it's the first time the aux. heater has run, so I am well chuffed.
20161222_151158.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back