Me again..

Discussion in 'Motorhome Help for the Beginner' started by peter t, Mar 4, 2008.

1. peter t

peter t

Ratings:
    +1
    Advice.... wheel lock thing (denver Boot) can you recomend me one ,value for money, easy to store.??

Not many new motorhomes come with a spare wheel now.? so I'am told and just discoverd on my new purchase, tyre pluggers are the new way fwd.. ok I can live with the tyre plugger theory on my motorbikes, cause bikes are relativley easy to push off the road if your unluckey enough to pick up a punture.
    But your stuffed if you shread a tyre.... so how many of you carry a spare ? or am I just being paranoid.

2. moandick

moandick

Ratings:
    +113
    Hi Peter

Sorry, I haven't picked up on whether you have an RV or a 'Euro' Motorhome.

With the Euro motorhome (we had a Burstner 22) we purchased a spare wheel as an extra. Never needed it BUT some of the places we went were well off the beaten track and we could so easily have wrecked a tyre.

Now we have moved up to an RV - our first RV had a spare slung under the belly but our current Monaco doesn't have one - because, according to the Dealers, you simply call out the breakdown team!

Oh, yeah, if you have about £700 spare according to a thread on here recently where a member was charged twice for a call out - once to ascertain the blow-out and the second for when the breakdown team went home to collect a spare!

As a direct result of that thread I now carry just a spare tyre - not the heavy rim - just the 'rubber' cover' I have built a cosy sling for it in front of the generator and leave it there all the time!

3. peter t

peter t

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi mate thanks for that, my new purchase is a sundance 590 rs... scary reading £700.00 for a call out. :Eeek: someones on a winner.
    I think I may look at the options for getting a spare wheel and tyre then finding a stowage point. I realise that touring around uk your not to far from civilization but the inconvenience and risk of damaging a rim worrys me.

4. moandick

moandick

Ratings:
    +113
    Hi Peter - I always reckon to be safe rather than sorry - it doesn't cost an arm-and-a-leg - and generally you can find somewhere to suspend it safely underneath.

The £700 apparently came about as a result of a double call out but even at £350 a pop - it isn't cheap!

On top of which, imagine breaking down on one of these '4th' lane motorways - where they are using the hard shoulder as the 4th lane! - Real scary!!!!!!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008