Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Hi
Toying with the idea of replacing the rear rooflight with a Maxxfan in a 2021 Travelvan. Does anyone know if Burstner prewire adjacent to the rooflight or will it need cabling to a 12v supply in the rear lockers?
Ta
Howard

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Hi
Toying with the idea of replacing the rear rooflight with a Maxxfan in a 2021 Travelvan. Does anyone know if Burstner prewire adjacent to the rooflight or will it need cabling to a 12v supply in the rear lockers?
Ta
Howard
Take the current fan's interior fitting off, I did this on my Hymer to look if mine had a cable or at least a conduit... unfortunately non was evident...so I made a small hole in the insulation to route the Maxxfan cable...
Great piece of kit I must say...will get the benefits next summer...

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I doubt it, often they do it in one above the kitchen but not the rear roof light.
After you have made a hole through the insulation put a length of plastic conduit in so that the PVC cable doesn't come into contact with the insulation..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
Hi I have a Burstner IXEO i728G I asked Burstner the same question as I was looking at doing the same thing
Their answer was no they do not provide wiring to the front or rear roof lights
As you have a newer Travel van ask Burstner they usually reply in 5-7 days
mailto:service@buerstner.com

May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
Is air con a factory fit option? If so there will probably be a 240v cable.

My Adria Twin had that so it was just a case of finding the other end adjacent to the 240v breaker box and connecting to a 12v supply through an isolating switch.

Try removing the internal roof vent surround and you may find cabling / trunking.

OP
OP
Howard B
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Hi I have a Burstner IXEO i728G I asked Burstner the same question as I was looking at doing the same thing
Their answer was no they do not provide wiring to the front or rear roof lights
As you have a newer Travel van ask Burstner they usually reply in 5-7 days
mailto:service@buerstner.com
Tried Burstner who couldnt/ wouldnt help, they asked me to request the info from a Burstner dealer. Given that my local dealer havent answered previous questions I asked, ill work on the assumption I dont have a 12v feed. I couldnt see anything when I removed the interier trim.
Will order a fan at the end of the month and then wait until the weather improves & I can pluck up the courage to do the work. Need to sort it before a trip to spain in a few months though. Managed to blag a length of 8mm copper pipe from my plumber to use as a conduit.

OP
OP
Howard B
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
The weather is looking good this week and the Maxxfan has arrived, so I am going to have a bash at the install.
Having watched a few videos it seems pretty straightforward. I think the hardest part will be getting the old rooflight out and trying to feed a cable route through the polystyrene roof insulation to somewhere above the rear lockers . I plan to start it off with an 8mm x 300 drill bit and then try a length of 8mm copper tube for the final 200mm.
I guess if its straight & i measure correctly I should be able to drill through the top of the locker to pick up the copper tube in the roof insulation. 🙏🤞.
Need to make sure I dont drill throgh the out skin of the roof as well.

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
Worth watching this how not to do things

OP
OP
Howard B
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Worth watching a how not to do it vlog 😁
Thanks, will try & push though by hand rather than using a drill, though there is timber around the skylight opening which will need drilling.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
If the insulation is polystyrene either put a length of plastic conduit through the roof or even leave the copper pipe in there so the cable doesn't contact the insulation.

OP
OP
Howard B
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
If the insulation is polystyrene either put a length of plastic conduit through the roof or even leave the copper pipe in there so the cable doesn't contact the insulation.
I was going use the copper pipe as conduit.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Mine went through the insulation quite easily by hand.... wouldn't want to trust myself with a drill, far too risky...Maxxfan great bit of kit, had ours on this afternoon...
van was a tad warm...👍😃🇪🇦

OP
OP
Howard B
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Mine went through the insulation quite easily by hand.... wouldn't want to trust myself with a drill, far too risky...Maxxfan great bit of kit, had ours on this afternoon...
van was a tad warm...👍😃🇪🇦
Was that with a drill bit or copper pipe?

OP
OP
Howard B
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
I started the job this morning hoping i would be able to finish today. Old roof light off and area cleaned up and new insert installed within a few hours.
I am having issues getting through the roof sandwich to the rear lockers. I am able to get from the roof light arae to the lockers which is @ 550mm. However I need to be at @ 580mm to be inside the locker ara.
Directly above the lockers there must be an aluminium or steel plate which I am unable to penetrate at the moment. I have tried two routes and have the same result each time.

Options now seem to be:
Try & buy a drill that will cut through metal. Not sure if something like this is worth a try. https://ffx.co.uk/product/Get/Bosch...VYsfuj0aT4okFRJqHXKgxIi6TlduEDyRoC5FQQAvD_BwE
Surface mount the cables

Any thoughts?

IMG_4069.jpg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I started the job this morning hoping i would be able to finish today. Old roof light off and area cleaned up and new insert installed within a few hours.
I am having issues getting through the roof sandwich to the rear lockers. I am able to get from the roof light arae to the lockers which is @ 550mm. However I need to be at @ 580mm to be inside the locker ara.
Directly above the lockers there must be an aluminium or steel plate which I am unable to penetrate at the moment. I have tried two routes and have the same result each time.

Options now seem to be:
Try & buy a drill that will cut through metal. Not sure if something like this is worth a try. https://ffx.co.uk/product/Get/Bosch...VYsfuj0aT4okFRJqHXKgxIi6TlduEDyRoC5FQQAvD_BwE
Surface mount the cables

Any thoughts?

View attachment 714813
That looks like the back of the van so could be a bracing strut where the rear end joins maybe better going via a side locker.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Some drills go through anything. :)

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/where-to-put-the-maxxair-fan.242753/

Joking aside can you get a long HSS bit? It will go through wood or aluminium then, though I would be wary of the drill wandering through the roof which would be disastrous.

Personally as long as I could it inside the locker, I would then be happy to surface mount it neatly.

I would be tempted to go through a side locker too.

OP
OP
Howard B
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
That looks like the back of the van so could be a bracing strut where the rear end joins maybe better going via a side locker.
Distance may be a problem then. I can give it a go, but my augers wont be long enough. Ill see if the Aluminium tube will push through, may be difficult trying to locate the end if i go off at an angle.

OP
OP
Howard B
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Just tried a route to a side locker, same issue.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have some wiring in the way so surface mounted it with a small decorative half round conduit. Not as neat but no risk of drilling through something important.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
All depends on how brave you feel. I’d cautiously drill it, but it’s the sort of stuff I do for work.

OP
OP
Howard B
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Some drills go through anything. :)

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/where-to-put-the-maxxair-fan.242753/

Joking aside can you get a long HSS bit? It will go through wood or aluminium then, though I would be wary of the drill wandering through the roof which would be disastrous.

Personally as long as I could it inside the locker, I would then be happy to surface mount it neatly.

I would be tempted to go through a side locker too.
Think I may have to look at surface mounting, not many places seem to stock 8mmx 600mm HSS bits.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I have these to extend drill bits. They work with hex bits as well as flat bits (which I wouldn’t use in your situation)

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
You twist the drill by hand, silly boy. :LOL:
But the Drill Bits I have are marked up as High Speed....I would have had problems twisting them that fast with my arthritis...The pipe method worked very well for me..was like taking a core out of an apple.....There is always a different, but not always the right way...Maxxfans are Brilliant...👍🇪🇦😃

OP
OP
Howard B
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Pipe
But the Drill Bits I have are marked up as High Speed....I would have had problems twisting them that fast with my arthritis...The pipe method worked very well for me..was like taking a core out of an apple.....There is always a different, but not always the right way...Maxxfans are Brilliant...👍🇪🇦😃
Pipe method was working fine for me until the last 50mm.

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
I was going use the copper pipe as conduit.
Watch out the inside edge of the copper has not got a sharp edge as in time it will cut through the cables insulation. As said before plastic is better it will condensate with water as its a cold metal surface also

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back