Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
Hi

Looking into buying a new MH and Carthago is in the short list. I don't find much information on the electrical system other than they don't use Schaudt EBL like others. With the Schaudt EBL, there is a port where to plug the output from a solar panel regulator so that the electroblock can regulate between the different sources of charging. That port is usually limited to 15 amps.

My question is: how does that work on a Carthago? I know the Comfort Pack includes pre-wiring for solar. Is it a complete pre-wiring, where one simply has to plug panels and an MPPT regulator? Are there any specs, limitations?

Thanks!

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
The ones I have looked at use a CBE distribution box (DS300). This appears to have an auxiliary input for solar and there is also a 20A fuse, I think it is more or less a direct connection to the leisure battery. Having had a quick look at the wiring diagram for the Electroblock 29 on my current motorhome it does not appear to do any regulating of the input, just feeds it to the leisure battery alongside other sources. However there are others on this site who understand the workings of Electroblocks better than I do.

OP
OP
StephDeLux

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Hi

Looking into buying a new MH and Carthago is in the short list. I don't find much information on the electrical system other than they don't use Schaudt EBL like others. With the Schaudt EBL, there is a port where to plug the output from a solar panel regulator so that the electroblock can regulate between the different sources of charging. That port is usually limited to 15 amps.

My question is: how does that work on a Carthago? I know the Comfort Pack includes pre-wiring for solar. Is it a complete pre-wiring, where one simply has to plug panels and an MPPT regulator? Are there any specs, limitations?

Thanks!
The EBL doesn't "regulate between the different sources of charging". In common with all other systems adding a charging source simply causes the one outputting the highest voltage at any given time to provide the majority, or all, of the charge current. The panel output connects, via the EBL, directly to the battery(s). The added data link from the solar regulator simply allows the control panel associated with the EBL to display the contribution of the solar panel separately from any other charge source. IMO a rather pointless facility given that the only time solar is of interest is when no other charging source is available.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Carthago Use CBE for Distribution & charging, not the Schaudt EBL
The Pre Installed wiring in our Carthago, runs from above the Tech tower oven, to cupboard above drivers head where the Solar Controller goes, then from there directly onto the leisure batteries. You will find all the wires neatly hidden and cable tied together,. The wiring above the tech tower oven is placed inside a piece of round aluminium ducting along with wires for sat dish install, inc a D+ from ignition.
It took me ages to find them, but now you dont have to look as hard, as I have told you.(y):D
Good luck
Les

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You still need to fit a Solar Regulator. Carthago have the wiring pre-installed with 6mm sq cables. With an A Class the cables run from behind one of the roof locker to behind one side of the dash another pair of cables run from there to under the floor near the battery. On a factory install, I think they fit the regulator behind the dash then connect directly to the batteries they don't use the connection on the CBE, which makes sense as you would be doubling the cable length to the batteries.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
StephDeLux

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks everyone. So, if I understand correctly, I can put up 500W of solar (if I have the space), the appropriate Solar controller and plug its output straight to the battery. Is that correct?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back