Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
20+ if you include vw campers and the like
anyone know the answer to this question asked me regarding my tow car for sale as i have not got a clue

"Not sure if you'll know or if you know where I can find such info? Basically I have a three axle 40ft Winnebago at 8500 kgs, which is classed as Private HGV and is driven on a normal licence, but I wonder what the total length limits are? I'm guessing in total with this Id be 50+ ft !!! But we are touring Europe next year and have a 5 month old and 2.5 year old so need a car as a bike is out the question for obvious reasons and Motorhome is not easy to drive in built up areas, my mum had one of these which was a great reliable car until she wrote it off, easy to write off it seems as bodypanels are import only."

at that weight my nippa will be like a box of tissues behind it , many thanks for any useful or useless answers
:Doh:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Robin, 12 metres is the max length I think, but at 8500kg you can't drive that on an ordinary licence, 7500kg is the max on a grandfathers licence, 3500kg otherwise.

Olley

OP
OP
robinmclaren

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
confused

thanks for your reply
he says motorhome is 40ft long unless i misread it so is he alredy over the legal length
must have room in one of his side lockers for nippa if its that big
:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
olley is correct 12 mtrs . wts as he said max 8,250 train. a rigid vehicle canhave a road train of upto 18.75 mtrs . the trailer can be upto 12 metrs within the 18.75.
roa trains of more trailers is more but it will be easier to stop now. (25.9 mtr).

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi robin, length is not to much to worry about as preumably its been registered, Travelworld up to a couple of years ago where flogging brand new 42' Monaco's, then the DVLA got wise and they all had to be measured, but its back to how it was now I believe.

Olley

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
becarefull there are alot of unscrupilous dealers out there that tell lies . spoke to many at malvern show they dont know there arm from there elbow. they are a disgrace to the motor trade. length width sell you anything to make a shilling.

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
as said 12 m or 38ft length max and the weight 7500 unless you hold hgv licence :thumb: so at that weight hope you hold hgv licence or it leads to loads of probs ie insurance invalid etc etc

bashers

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
3! Been boating for years. Now just bought an RV
Good luck fella!

If i am readiing this right, that is not your rig yor discussing, but a prospective buyers?

I wish this chap all the luck in the world with a rig this big.
I'm taking a 31ft RV round Europe and i can say i would not want anything any longer.

i hope he has planned this well.

He will get issues at campsites
He will get jammed on roundabouts
He will cause nasty situations on hairpin bends

I know, I've been there.

Towing a car you do not get a second chance at corners. You cannot reverse more than a couple of feet to get the turning circle you need

Doing it again, I'd take a shorter RV with a slide-out to get the square feet rather than length

OP
OP
robinmclaren

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
no not mine

as i said this was from someone looking at our towcar
i am happy as larry ( must be a happy larry out there somewhere with our 24ft motorhome as has everything we need and gives us 29mpg even with the car on back , love it , less mpg no fun to me
:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back